Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about temperatures in the workplace

Options
  • 27-02-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if there is any kind of guideline or rule about whether temperatures in the workplace have to be within certain parameters. I don't mean out on site but in the site office...

I'm asking because a friend working in a site office in WA is having a bit of bother with a manager turning off the AC.

I've had a bit of a google but am none the wiser.. so any advice appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

In Ireland there is minimum temperatures guidelines.

http://www.dit.ie/media/documents/healthsafety/SHWW%20General%20Application%20(Regulations)%202007%20S%20%20I%20%20299.pdf

Section 7

But I'm sure there is similar legislation in OZ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hmmm 25 degrees celsius is the guideline for aircon at home for energy conservation. There's nothing definite on workplace temperatures, but here's an OH&S rep discussion on it:

http://www.ohsrep.org.au/faqs/workplace-and-amenities/offices-temperature-and-humidity-what-are-the-rules/index.cfm

Your mate should go to his OH&S rep if it's really bothering him - if he's not used to the temperature it could seriously impact his work. For ref, my aircon here in dry tropics sits at 24-26 degrees in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whats the temp in the site office.
    There are state specific max temps, but its quite high. Air con is luxury, not a right

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Hmmm 25 degrees celsius is the guideline for aircon at home for energy conservation. There's nothing definite on workplace temperatures, but here's an OH&S rep discussion on it:

http://www.ohsrep.org.au/faqs/workplace-and-amenities/offices-temperature-and-humidity-what-are-the-rules/index.cfm

Your mate should go to his OH&S rep if it's really bothering him - if he's not used to the temperature it could seriously impact his work. For ref, my aircon here in dry tropics sits at 24-26 degrees in the office.

Thanks for that link, very helpful. And he went to the site health and safety woman and she didn't seem to know what the rules were. :rolleyes:
    Mellor wrote: »
    Whats the temp in the site office.
    There are state specific max temps, but its quite high. Air con is luxury, not a right

Not sure what the office temperature is but it's over 30 degrees on the site in the afternoons this week. And the guy with the problem, (lets call him John!) is coming in from site and the flippin AC has been turned off in his office. The manager started off by turning off the unit in John's office but he would turn it back on when he'd come in. So then the manager turned it off at the main switch in his own office so now John comes in off the site melting and he can't even turn on his AC!

sudzs wrote: »
    Not sure what the office temperature is but it's over 30 degrees on the site in the afternoons this week. And the guy with the problem, (lets call him John!) is coming in from site and the flippin AC has been turned off in his office. The manager started off by turning off the unit in John's office but he would turn it back on when he'd come in. So then the manager turned it off at the main switch in his own office so now John comes in off the site melting and he can't even turn on his AC!

Well, there's nothing wrong with turning the AC off when he isn't there. But he should be able to turn it back on when he returns. If its there no reason not to use it.

It might be hard to get regulations for a site office, as opposed to a general building. As the guys on site are expected to work in temps up to 40 degrees or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Mellor wrote: »
    Well, there's nothing wrong with turning the AC off when he isn't there. But he should be able to turn it back on when he returns. If its there no reason not to use it.

It might be hard to get regulations for a site office, as opposed to a general building. As the guys on site are expected to work in temps up to 40 degrees or more.

Yeah, I wonder if the health and safety woman got onto it...

He's a new manager and is throwing his weight around, banning radios onsite, daily breath tests for alcohol and drugs, using savage language at meetings, turning yer mans AC off... that sort of carry on. He's not very popular!

daily breath tests for alcohol and drugs, using savage language at meetings, !

Well those two are pretty standard ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 MaureenMac

Can anyone tell me if there is any kind of guideline or rule about whether temperatures in the workplace have to be within certain parameters. I don't mean out on site but in the site office...

I'm asking because a friend working in a site office in WA is having a bit of bother with a manager turning off the AC.

I've had a bit of a google but am none the wiser.. so any advice appreciated. :)

This may be of some help:
    Regulation 3.15 of the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984 states that if the workplace is in a building or structure, then as far as is practicable, the employer must provide heating and cooling to enable employees to work in a comfortable environment. A comfortable temperature would be where the employee did not require any form of special clothing to be comfortable at work.

Your friend could also contact WorkSafe in WA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

He's a new manager and is throwing his weight around, banning radios onsite, daily breath tests for alcohol and drugs, using savage language at meetings, turning yer mans AC off... that sort of carry on. He's not very popular!

Sounds normal, give hem a few weeks to settle down and he will want to be everybody best mate, either that or a few blocks will start "accidentally" falling near him for a much needed dose of cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Tell your friend to buy himself a fan. It's not aircon, but when you walk in from a hot outdoors and are nicely covered in sweat, the relief a fan turned on high will bring is considerable compared to walking into a stagnant office. That's what sweat is for, after all.

It's a short term solution but it might help while he waits for the new manager to eff off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Rule of thumb on site in WA,

"If it's 38, out the gate!"

I heard there was legislation on outdoor temps and in the NT they used to joke that if they went by it they wouldn`t get any work done

Advertisement