Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging Menu

Options
  • 27-02-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey guys, Having a bit of trouble at the moment building a website.

Doing it for a company, that I'm working for as part of an internship.
    Not too keen on posting the link, as it is for a company, who may not want me to post a link to a development site.

However, I have a problem with a drop down menu. Normally the menu drops down on mouseover. However during loading, the menu hangs in the "down" position for a split second. Not a huge deal to me, but because it is going to be a corporate site, they want it to look smooth.

Any ideas what sort of things usually cause this? All the images on the page are compressed as much as possible, so I don't think it's the images slowing it down.

Thanks for any help you can give, despite my vague question.

Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Can you post some relevant code? Stripping out anything that would identify the company. Are you using CSS or JavaScript?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Presumably you're rendering the full menu, then hiding it after the page fully loads? Set "display:none" on the element you want to hide in the CSS, so it's not displayed by default, then use whatever method you want to unhide it on mouseover

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Yeah probably a jQuery doc ready hiding it. Hiding by default should fix the issue if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If it's jQuery, you could also try moving the js files to the head of the page instead of the bottom and see if it hides on load.

smash wrote: »
    If it's jQuery, you could also try moving the js files to the head of the page instead of the bottom and see if it hides on load.

This will just increase the perceived time of load and won't make a difference in a document.ready situation (as the document won't be ready until the closing body tag anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Giblet wrote: »
    This will just increase the perceived time of load and won't make a difference in a document.ready situation (as the document won't be ready until the closing body tag anyway)
    Still, loading it before other scripts might improve initial performance for the menu. Either way, it sounds like it wasn't really coded correctly by the developer.

Advertisement