Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old are you?

Options
  • 27-02-2012 4:05pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following on from "The Meet Up" thread, it appears that the average age of a vaper is in or around the 30-35 bracket. Be interesting to see peoples answers here, i know some people were smoking for a VERY long time before they picked up vaping, so i'd say the average age is about right here.....

I'm sickened to say it, but i was smoking for nearly 14 years....and i'm only 26 at the moment....terrible stuff!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

32, so pretty much in the average bracket. I think I would have been 12/13 when I tried my first one, but was probably 16/17 before I really got into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

29, was smoking for about 10 years.

was always pub smoking at first and joints, funnily enough it took me years to actually realise that smoking cigarettes in joints counted as smoking cigarettes :) didn't become a proper 20 a day smoker until about 5-6 years ago so im just lucky i discovered vaping before I went too far down the path. pretty sure if I didn't buy that first ecig i'd still be smoking cigs now, and wouldn't have stopped at any point in the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

39 and ashamed to say I smoked for 30 of them years. Im off them 19 days now and at times finding it difficult though not impossible! I smoked 30 to 40 a day so it will probably be a while before it gets more pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

29. Was on five a day, and a hell of a lot more on drink/other things 'til the auld vaping made itself known to me. Got addicted via joints at 19.
    What a twat... But it's worth it, just not without pleasantness mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

The amount of peeps who started fags by smoking joints here proves it a gateway drug... to tobacco!
    Been smoking since before most of youse were born. The fact that I'm old enough to say that makes me feel old. 50 and I started smoking Broadleaf, It's that long ago.
    http://www.britishpathe.com/video/why-buy-broadleaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

I'm 45 (nearly), and smoked rollies for 27 years. Over 4 months into vaping now and enjoying ALL the benefits. I had guessed that the age profile might have been a bit older here.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭flids.utd

42 and was smoking since national school, was 40+a day until September.
    My health is way better no coughing fits to kick start the day anymore.
    The great thing is any other time I tried to give them up (and failed miserably) it bothered me to be around other smokers because I'd always want one especially with drink, now it doesnt bother me and fags just smell like dirt.
    And have no real intention of giving up vaping, dont know if thats a goood or a bad thing

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm the same as you, I don't plan on giving up Vaping, I mean it is guilt free smoking, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bru.wicklow

40 was smoking since i was 14.the last few years was smoking 20-30 a day.5 weeks off them know with no problems:D

eeloe wrote: »
    I mean it is guilt free smoking, right?

Not according to the girlfriend.

Proof that they (some of 'they', fine) actually MUST enjoy fights.
    I got the "But you're still addicted to nicotine..." line. This from a girl who still smokes socially.

Daft.

For as long as I'm drinking, I'm vaping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

"But you're still addicted to nicotine..."
    Well yes and so is someone who just stops smoking.
    Thats the thing about any addiction, it's permanent. It's why so many addicts relapse, the addiction is always their just suppressed or ignored.
    This way the addiction can be fed without the side effects, if you want you can train yourself to need less but unfortunately you can never undo the changes that the substance your addicted to wrought.
    Do what I do say "yes I am but getting your nic by burning leafs is such an old fashioned way to do it, I've move on from that"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

43 myself.

Started smoking at 20/21, so I was a late starter really. Been smoking ever since.

Trying out E-cigs as a bit of an experiment & have cut down drastically.

I need to get a more reliable system with better battery life before I could consider quitting analogs permanently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sparkemo

44, smoked 25+ a day for 27 years.
    Wasn't looking to quit but overheard someone talking about ecigs and thought I'd give it a go.
    Off the smokes a year next month and still enjoy vaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pepperpixie

36, smoking since i was 14, 19 days vaping now and loving it, was smoking approx 30 a day, not one cigarette or craving since i started vaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

Just turned 57. Smoked for 45 years, started when I was 9...used to buy a single woodbine on my way to school everyday. Smoked 80 Rothmans/day in my 20's and 30's. Vaping for a year now and don't intend to stop...as well as a nicotine replacement it's become a hobby.

Bubba9 wrote: »
    Smoked 80 Rothmans/day in my 20's and 30's.
    I've always meant to ask, and with that number, you seem the best to ask...

Where did you find the time in the day to smoke that many?
    That works out to over 6.5 hours smoking, constantly, a day.
    Even at a festival, out of my tree, awake for at least the full day, and chain-smoking, the most I've managed is 40, and while I was doing it, it felt ludicrous.
    Your chain-smoking > my chain-smoking by a wide margin. You must vape gallons!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's about a cigarette every ten minutes for 13 hours

definitly doable, if you're a furnace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Im 31 and started smokeing around 13-14 only a few a day but by 17 i was a 20+ a day and 40 at the weekend. still remember geting singals in a local shop

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

grindle wrote: »
    I've always meant to ask, and with that number, you seem the best to ask...

Where did you find the time in the day to smoke that many?
    That works out to over 6.5 hours smoking, constantly, a day.
    Even at a festival, out of my tree, awake for at least the full day, and chain-smoking, the most I've managed is 40, and while I was doing it, it felt ludicrous.
    Your chain-smoking > my chain-smoking by a wide margin. You must vape gallons!

At that time you could smoke just about anywhere. I chain smoked in the pub, while driving, on the phone, etc. Two in bed before even thinking about getting up in the morning. I remember seeing old timers in building site canteens with an ash tray beside the plate puffing away between mouthfuls and guys shovelling concrete with a fag in the mouth, inhaling without touching it till it was done then lighting another. I knew one guy who suffered from depression and the local shopkeeper reckoned he was on 100+ a day. Apparently he got free fags in the mental hospital whenever he was checked in.

Yeah, it seems ludicrous now but not so much back then. Ever watch Mad Men? How many do you reckon Don Draper smoked every day?

I go through between 3 and 4mls/day. I usually don't do higher voltages and go between 24 and 18mgs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Seems crazy now alright, but once upon time smoking was good for you, doctors even recommended them to people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement