Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My story with magnet

• 27-02-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I want to share my terror story with Magnet Networks. After two months without connection of any kind and ball rolling between them and eircom I have cancelled my service with them. In two months I have been able to have broadband for just 6-7 hours, having a top speed of 3.6mb which was far from the 24mb which I signed up with them, and this was unstable with 8 connection losses in 4 hours, and some of the times the connection went down to 160kbps (just better than a dial up connection). I have repeatedly requested a manager during the last month, I have filled complains which have gone unanswered, and today a "team leader" (not a manager) finally called me to tell me basically all they will offer me is a refund as up to this point the above experience has cost me in excess of 1400 as I have not been able to move to the property due to this issue.

All I can say is that I would not recommend any one to run into a similar problem as myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 D35

€1400!!!! I hope you have included the expense of your time writing this post.

GET A GRIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

To be honest, the best they can do is a refund.
    DSL services are never guaranteed to work as the telephone network is not universally able to support them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

VWerner wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to share my terror story with Magnet Networks. After two months without connection of any kind and ball rolling between them and eircom I have cancelled my service with them. In two months I have been able to have broadband for just 6-7 hours, having a top speed of 3.6mb which was far from the 24mb which I signed up with them, and this was unstable with 8 connection losses in 4 hours, and some of the times the connection went down to 160kbps (just better than a dial up connection). I have repeatedly requested a manager during the last month, I have filled complains which have gone unanswered, and today a "team leader" (not a manager) finally called me to tell me basically all they will offer me is a refund as up to this point the above experience has cost me in excess of 1400 as I have not been able to move to the property due to this issue.

All I can say is that I would not recommend any one to run into a similar problem as myself.

be happy to get refund..but be prepared to wait for another weeks..because they will hold the line and therefore you will be unable to get connexion with another provider. I wish you best of luck. but i would like to know where did you get the number 1400€/?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I think the 1400 euro would be due to lost income by having no broadband

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

NTL Available in you're Area? its upto 24mb you are not guranteed that only what you're line is capable of in T&C's, i would accept the Refund and try alternative ISP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 davos123

hey,

I have magnet broadband since december 2011 and have had no issue with it until recently.
    I purchased apple tv and signed up for netflix and started to notice that everyday at around 6-7pm we had problems streaming.
    I went from wireless to direct connect on the router but problem still persists everyday around 6-7pm. its perfect any other time.
    Has anyone else encountered this??

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Claim The Frame

davos123 wrote: »
    hey,

I have magnet broadband since december 2011 and have had no issue with it until recently.
    I purchased apple tv and signed up for netflix and started to notice that everyday at around 6-7pm we had problems streaming.
    I went from wireless to direct connect on the router but problem still persists everyday around 6-7pm. its perfect any other time.
    Has anyone else encountered this??

I'm the same have been with them since 2005 and have had no problems at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I also think you'll find most ISPs cover themselves in the contract by taking no responsibility for losses caused by unavailable service.

So, I would seriously doubt you'll be able to go after them for compensation.

You might be better off looking at alternative technologies :

Cable is the absolute best option (if it's available.) This is provided by UPC in most areas.

Failing that, in some areas the FWA (fixed wireless access) operators like Digiweb Metro in Dublin and lots of other places and if you are in Cork Nova Networks in Cork City are pretty excellent, although not as fast as cable. Most other parts of the country have FWA operators but their quality, speeds and price varies a lot.

These services are provided using various radio technologies, but are not mobile broadband. They provide a very DSL-like speed and reliability and are connected via a small antenna placed on your roof.

The unfortunate reality of the POTS phone lines anywhere is that some of them are incapable of supporting DSL. This is not unique to Ireland. All over the world, you'll find lines that are simply too long to support a DSL service, but they work fine for voice as that was all they were ever specified to do when they were installed originally.

Ireland's low density population coupled with Eircom's financial difficulties has meant that we have a lot of long lines and also a recent history of relatively poor investment in the local access infrastructure. This results in a relatively high % of lines outside dense urban areas failing or providing poor DSL.

Your line *might* support slower DSL services. It may simply be going unstable at very high speeds.

24 Mbit/s on a DSL line is only theoretically possible. In reality services are typically between 11 and 23Mbit/s, with most hovering somewhere in the middle of that.

To get the full speed your router would need to be plugged directly into the telephone exchange without a line at all. As there's inevitably some signal loss en route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 VWerner

Well actually the terms on which ISP can excuse themselves are not a "carte blanche" to avoid all responsibility, but only within reasonable limits (they won't cover for example an up to 24mb service offering scarcely 4mb). And they have a responsibility not to offer services below certain quality considerations which for example in my case weren't meet.

I switched to UPC (took 4 working days to have it working) but in any case the purpose of my post is to warn about magnet's utter irresponsibility, lack of service and general bad quality and neglect. They could have said "We're sorry but your line doesn't provide more than Xmb" and given me the choice to continue ahead or switch rather than rolling the ball back & forth with eircom (which while it might provide the line, is not my provider and is magnet's responsibility to deal with them to provide an appropriate level of service and quality).

Is important to have a good service when things work, but is even more important to have an excellent service when things do not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 minnowd

I have the same issue. A month without connnection at all since they need to talk to eircom. If I cancel it, I need to pay 50 euro disconnection fee, ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

I'm having much the same problem as others here. I'm paying for 24mb and if I do a speedtest at say this time of the day I'll get roughly 20mb. I usually arrive home in the evening at 8pm and if I do a speedtest at that time it'll only be 5mb. On Sunday gone it was 2mb.

What I did notice was as the night went on the speed went up at seemingly precise times. i.e. at 10pm the speed rose to 10mb and at 10:30pm the speed rose to 15mb.

Magnet are blaming the line and have sent it off for eircom to investigate but I think there's some throttling involved or the line is contended even though Magnet say it isn't?

Perhaps a representative from Magnet should be invited on here to answer this odd evening speed issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

arseagon wrote: »
    I'm having much the same problem as others here. I'm paying for 24mb and if I do a speedtest at say this time of the day I'll get roughly 20mb. I usually arrive home in the evening at 8pm and if I do a speedtest at that time it'll only be 5mb. On Sunday gone it was 2mb.

What I did notice was as the night went on the speed went up at seemingly precise times. i.e. at 10pm the speed rose to 10mb and at 10:30pm the speed rose to 15mb.

Magnet are blaming the line and have sent it off for eircom to investigate but I think there's some throttling involved or the line is contended even though Magnet say it isn't?

That's congestion, plain and simple. Your line quality doesn't fluctuate like that. Investigating the line is pointless, and realistically nothing will be done to improve on congestion problems.
    arseagon wrote: »
    Perhaps a representative from Magnet should be invited on here to answer this odd evening speed issue?

Magnet have no reps on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

jor el wrote: »
    That's congestion, plain and simple. Your line quality doesn't fluctuate like that. Investigating the line is pointless, and realistically nothing will be done to improve on congestion problems.
    Agreed, my next question is can I argue my way out of the 12 month contract due to the fact that they are not providing the service I'm paying for? I'll happily go back to Vodafone whose speeds were always as promised while I was with them.
    jor el wrote: »
    Magnet have no reps on Boards
    Maybe they should be invited to participate here then?

Advertisement