Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Timelapse in dublin airport with a d7000

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

About as interesting as watching paint dry........

Too short, inappropriate music and nothing happening in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Also the frame moves at the start and then we have an annoying frame in view for the rest of it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Sorry but that is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Was just testing the cameras abilities and seeing if I could do it.. any c+c on it other than putting it down?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

ps3man wrote: »
    Was just testing the cameras abilities and seeing if I could do it.. Il be sure to pass it by Spielberg next time.. ;)

No offense man but if it was just a test I wonder why you posted it. At the very least, you could have warned us that it was a test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i like making time lapse video. i daren't post here though.. can't hack all the negativity!
    what software are you using to compile it together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I think it's a bit jumpy, would prefer to see the movement be smoother, not sure how you do that, having less time between shots and playing them back at a higher framerate maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

I think it's a bit jumpy, would prefer to see the movement be smoother, not sure how you do that, having less time between shots and playing them back at a higher framerate maybe?

To get a nice smooth flow each shot needs to be dragged - in essence a longer exposure for each shot. That gives a nice flow to the end result, rather than the jumpy effect we see in this sample (above). Frame-rate should be approx 25 shots to the second. If you want a 1 min film you need 25 x 60 x 1. If you want a 5 min film you want 25 x 60 x 5.
    A couple I mucked about doing some time back http://vimeo.com/user1100175

Compiled it on Imovie, Im going to do another one and take on board what was said here.

there was a 3 second gap between each frame which probably explains the jumpyness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Did you use autofocus or manual focus ?
    I find autofocus can lead to jumpyness.
    I messed up a timelapse last year in Glendalough by shooting autofocus

heres one i did down at the south wall one morning
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/24723443@N04/5588510636/in/set-72157626300669347/

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

Few quick tips with timelapse

-- Your subject is interesting but you could frame the shot a bit better.
    -- Shoot in manual mode or aperture priority mode if you are shooting a transition from night to day or you will get over/underexposure with manual
    -- Compile the timelapse so 25 frames take up 1 second of your final film.
    -- Shoot in manual white balance or you will get a flickering effect.
    -- Download an old copy of quicktime pro for the mac. I assume you are using a mac since you are using iMovie? A copy will set you back 30 euro and is well worth it. It can compile all your jpegs from your camera into individual frames of a movie where you will be able to set the framerate.
    -- shoot at basic or good quality, you don't need massive files and their resolution should be plenty to produce full hd video

Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Fair play to you for posting it and getting the conversation going...
    As a first time out you did well.. I like the clouds.. I think the Airport, due to its nature is a tad hectic for this...

Keep it up...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

please don't use copyrighted music on the video - violation of copyright is always a hot topic on this forum.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Was just testing the cameras abilities and seeing if I could do it.. any c+c on it other than putting it down?

I' ll try.....

-View moved 2-3 times during the 24 second video.
    -Maybe be more zoomed in on the 'action', the frames on each side don't help the look.
    -'Seemed' quite jumpy.
    -Music didn't suit the subject matter.

I say fair play to you for throwing it up and waiting for the slating above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

please don't use copyrighted music on the video - violation of copyright is always a hot topic on this forum.

These kinds of things tend to fall under fair use policy. That said, you should really state that in the video description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Glad this thread got a little less assholey. No need to be jumping down your throat like that at the start, put me right off posting in the forum again. People can give constructive criticism without being unpleasant about it.

Anyway, I do think that it's a good first start, but that it needs work. As people have said it being jumpy seems to be the main problem, but you've been given the info since to work on this. I always find the best of these type of videos have more than one perspective, and the *really8 good ones have panning. Having tried help a friend with the latter, I can confirm it's mind melting!

I reckon some ambient music, something like Air or maybe even Moondog would suit things like this better. There's a culture of using Japanese ambient-instrumental music for these kind of things, and generally it works well!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mehfesto wrote: »
    I reckon some ambient music, something like Air or maybe even Moondog would suit things like this better. There's a culture of using Japanese ambient-instrumental music for these kind of things, and generally it works well!
    given the subject matter, and the suggestion for use of ambient music, you missed the obvious one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

given the subject matter, and the suggestion for use of ambient music, you missed the obvious one!
    Ok, my hand is out to be slapped ;) what is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

You should have posted it as a test. As a test it's fine ~ seriously wrong music, set the whole tone badly.

• Advertisement

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Ok, my hand is out to be slapped ;) what is it ?
    'music for airports' by brian eno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is taking it inside a building looking out part of the problem too? Won't that glass be tinted and interfering with the light?

So for these shots everything should be set to manual so all the shots have the same settings? Can video editors like premiere and after effects use raw to make the most of the shots?

For tests you should probably find something easier to film/photo like your back garden, as your going to need a good few different angles to make the video look nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Jeez, I used to live in this forum in the early days, and then it got bitchy and certain members were being put down and slagged off relentlessy.

Haven't even looked in here for months, but passed by today and dropped in, and this is the second thread I looked at. I now remember why I don't come here. Disgraceful.

I'll leave you to it guys.

OP, good first effort, and hopefully some of the positive answers with suggestions will help you develop the technique.

Made another one messing about today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm1-0mU2jEk

C+C greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Made another one messing about today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm1-0mU2jEk

C+C greatly appreciated.

I found myself wondering "what is he looking for" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

kfish2oo2 wrote: »
    These kinds of things tend to fall under fair use policy. That said, you should really state that in the video description.

How sure are you on that?
    I'm planning on incorporating a video into a website I'm developing and it has U2 playing in the background.

Dont want them knocking on my door :eek:

How sure are you on that?
    I'm planning on incorporating a video into a website I'm developing and it has U2 playing in the background.

Dont want them knocking on my door :eek:

That's not fair use, you could very well get a cease and desist letter for violating U2's copyright. Depends on the website, how prominent it is and if you'd be making any money from it - it's possible they wouldn't even notice, but they might sue you.

It depends. Is U2 part of the video? Is U2 deliberately playing in the background? Is is a casual pan and U2 happen to be playing? I someone listening to their fav song and it happens to be U2?

gbee wrote: »

It depends. Is U2 part of the video? Is U2 deliberately playing in the background? Is is a casual pan and U2 happen to be playing? I someone listening to their fav song and it happens to be U2?
    its a video showing charity work in Africa. the music is just in the background.

it Will be on one of the many pages on the site.

• Advertisement

it Will be on one of the many pages on the site.

It's incorporated into the video so as a soundtrack, you'll need to pay royalties or use a royalty free track.

U2 may or may not want to be part of the charity, that's a question you'd need to put to their PR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Food god this forum has not changed much from the last time i dropped in. Which was years ago, it confirms what a previous poster mentioned. OP fair play to you for posting and continue to do so. There's heads in here.

gbee wrote: »
    It's incorporated into the video so as a soundtrack, you'll need to pay royalties or use a royalty free track.

U2 may or may not want to be part of the charity, that's a question you'd need to put to their PR.

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling it would be a problem when I heard a backing track had been used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Food god this forum has not changed much from the last time i dropped in. Which was years ago, it confirms what a previous poster mentioned. OP fair play to you for posting and continue to do so. There's heads in here.

Ding dong indeed!

Sorry about the feedback, we'll all clap like seals the next time someone posts something we don't like.

Food god
    you're probably looking for the food&drink forum, not the photography forum.

• Advertisement

Yawn

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yawn

That's really unfair on the OP, at least give a reason you find it boring.

Zillah wrote: »
    Sorry about the feedback, we'll all clap like seals the next time someone posts something we don't like.

Well done you've found your calling.

Advertisement