Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bracken: How & When to Kill

• 27-02-2012 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, guys...

Just wanted to get some opinions on the best chemical to use in eradicating bracken from fields, and the best time of year to do it.

Go raibh mile maith agat!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hi, guys...

Just wanted to get some opinions on the best chemical to use in eradicating bracken from fields, and the best time of year to do it.

Go raibh mile maith agat!

Assulox in July / August.

I found as well topping / cutting it back continously helps, less and less will come every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭KingOfBreifne

Assulox in July / August.

I found as well topping / cutting it back continously helps, less and less will come every year.

So would I be wasting my time by doing it in spring? I'd really like to get the crap out of there as soon as possible, but I don't want to waste my time by spraying at a time when it wouldn't work, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

2nd vote for Asulox, follow the directions on the container. Wiped out my patch in two years and not a trace since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭KingOfBreifne

johngalway wrote: »
    2nd vote for Asulox, follow the directions on the container. Wiped out my patch in two years and not a trace since.

Asulox it is! What about the timing, though. Would spring not work? Summer the only way to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Asulox it is! What about the timing, though. Would spring not work? Summer the only way to go?

From very fuzzy memory, I believe it tells you on either the container or on online instructions at which stage of plant development it is best sprayed. I think the spray travels down into the roots and kills it that way.

It's not cheap stuff (€99 for a container which is four or five litres I think), use it as directed for best results. It will work, and will work well, but I wouldn't use it contrary to the directions myself.

It won't hurt the bracken this year. But next year you'll see a massive improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

johngalway wrote: »

From very fuzzy memory, I believe it tells you on either the container or on online instructions at which stage of plant development it is best sprayed. I think the spray travels down into the roots and kills it that way.

It's not cheap stuff (€99 for a container which is four or five litres I think), use it as directed for best results. It will work, and will work well, but I wouldn't use it contrary to the directions myself.

It won't hurt the bracken this year. But next year you'll see a massive improvement.

+1 on the asulox

I'd wait until July ... plant has to be fully grown and healthy to translocate chemical down to root system (massive root on them) so it'll die away...Don't cut plant post spraying let it die away ... did 2 fields last year had a 40ft hose on 95litre quad sprayer and used blue dye to know which fronds I'd sprayed so thIs year will be my moment of truth!! I pray I got them all

Advertisement