Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 eimhin.ennis

Well in fairness all of the Maynooth restaurants are a bit Celtic Tiger. It was €27 including veg and mash. €26.95 in the Stonehaven. €29.90 in Avenue. €28.90 in Picaderos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭SQ2

A fillet connoisseur it would appear! :D Yeah, that is pretty steep around town, Greenes was about €23 iirc, Twist is around the 24 mark I think, and the last time I was in Avenue I had one of the Living Social vouchers (or one of the vouchers anyway!) and was really cheap, so I didn't take note of it at all!
    Not sure if I could bring myself to pay over 25 quid for a steak anymore.

Anyone got prices from O'Neills (Oh Yum!) and (Le) Donnatellos to help update Maynooth Steakwatch?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Riverside Bistro was great while it lasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭TheBody

Thwip! wrote: »

I had forgotten about that place. Is it completely gone or have they just stopped serving food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Completely gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Seriously dont know how average 'folk' could pay 25 euro for main course on anything other than VERY rare treat ...maybe they dont get starter and/or dessert...I know I HATE one course dining and can just about abide two...I like eating out ,probably do it a little more than on a weekly basis ...the double sickener is that when you DO get the steak most of the time its tough as an ole boot and full of fat .I MIGHT consider paying the big bucks every now and then if guaranteed something juicy and tender .Anyway not good news that new place is pricey .Will probably check out menu in window and maybe pop in over next while .Location in middle of main street block seems a bit uninspiring ,hopefully decor is pleasant .But top whack prices for anything other than top flight service in this 'climate' is the certain kiss of death.
    Oh maaaan,is Greenes REALLY gone (Alas the Ford Puma abandoned/parked outside door seems to copperfasten the fact it is ...) Had many a pleasant al fresco with the kids ,Mrs etc there .
    Of the remainder Avenue is only one that would vaguely engender any kind of repeat custom 'loyalty' from me -and only really got into them via tenner soup and sandwich special on Saturday afternoon.Bon Bon is ok , a little bit special too , often but service can be slow ...Picaderos 'tapas' is quite dear and small portions and steaks arent really my thing as mentioned ,atmosphere can be great sometimes with music etc ...
    My current fave is DaMarios in Celbridge ,giving DaVincis a serious run for its money in family friendly stakes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

the lunch menu from Facebook -

Bistro 53
    10 hours ago
    Today`s Lunch

Soup bouilabaiss
    Caprese Salad
    Grilled Sardines
    Chicken tequila Penne
    Fennel&Asparagus Risotto
    Fillet of Seabass
    Chicken Wild mushroom sauce

Starter and main for only 11.95

Freshly prepared for you by Ours chef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭2011abc

Sounds interesting ,if the grub was good could be a nice spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

I've attached the dinner menu, also from Facebook...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

ytareh wrote: »
    My current fave is DaMarios in Celbridge ,giving DaVincis a serious run for its money in family friendly stakes.

The last time I was in DaMarios I got fillet steak ( medium/well ) which was hard burnt to depth of a few mm on both sides and fine in the middle. I didn't complain as I was hungry and didn't want to create a delay. That was a few months ago and I haven't been there since mainly because I only go there occasionally. Food is usually very good there. Let me know if steaks are getting better treatment there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kevint

SQ2 wrote: »
    Looking forward to that steak so, O'Neills do a beaut, and Avenue good too! Caulfields was being gutted yesterday, opening soon under new ownership according to the sign yesterday. Whats happening in Floods old betting shop?

Can only hope that the new tenants of Caulfields see an opportunity to differentiate themselves from the local competition by offering a decent choice of beer in addition to the generic mass produced crap that every other pub in Maynooth provides!!

I see the Village Inn in Celbridge is now offering craft beers on tap including some from the local Kildare based "Trouble Brewing" micro-brewery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

The only place I found offering something interesting beer wise is O'Neills who seem to have one beer that changes monthly, whenever I go in I have to peer into the fridge to see what's there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would love that:) and restaurants that did decent non alcoholic drinks would draw me in too.

Staplor wrote: »
    The only place I found offering something interesting beer wise is O'Neills who seem to have one beer that changes monthly, whenever I go in I have to peer into the fridge to see what's there.

Didn't notice that, but thanks for the tip. Can you remember any of the beers they have had on?

The Avenue has a good selection of alternative bottled beers - but would prefer not too have to pay for dinner just to have a few nice beers!

Thwip! wrote: »

The service in there was almost always brutal. The staff were mostly just having a chat!

I found it brilliant and them brilliant, i used to go in for lunch with the kids which is not so easy in Maynooth as staff in certain places are near useless and I jsut can not fit the buggy in to other places.
    We go to The Elite for most of our outings now but it was nice to vary it!

It was spacious alright, but I have in the past got up and walked out fuming because we were left waiting so long to be served. They seemed to lack a system of who was taking what tables, and resulted in staff thinking someone else had it covered. It happened too often I'm afraid.

kevint wrote: »
    Didn't notice that, but thanks for the tip. Can you remember any of the beers they have had on?

The Avenue has a good selection of alternative bottled beers - but would prefer not too have to pay for dinner just to have a few nice beers!

Between Tesco, Supervalu and Donovans there's usually an acceptable range of European & world beers/ales available in the town - for home consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Donovans are too expensive and Supervalu don't have a great selection of craft beers. Tesco and Dunnes both do good ales and often have them on a 5 pint bottles for €10 promotions.

If only the pubs would get them in too. I've tried to get Declan in Brady's to get some in but he hasn't. I said it to Jamie in O'Neills last week too. Can only hope ...

Orion wrote: »
    Donovans are too expensive and Supervalu don't have a great selection of craft beers. Tesco and Dunnes both do good ales and often have them on a 5 pint bottles for €10 promotions.

If only the pubs would get them in too. I've tried to get Declan in Brady's to get some in but he hasn't. I said it to Jamie in O'Neills last week too. Can only hope ...

I'm well familiar with the Tesco and Dunnes 5 for a tenner deals!!:)

I think its inevitable that one of the pubs in Maynooth will sooner or later start stocking some decent craft beers (preferably draft)...... but the're all a bit slow off the mark so far....

The only growth in the pub trade is in this area - see the excellent article below on the BBC website:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21541887

• Advertisement

The Riverside Bistro unit will be occupied in the coming weeks apparently, Chill from the college are stepping is the rumour I heard. Restaurants getting ducks in a row for the Irish Open coming up :)

Just hope we can support enough after the open

what kind of food is it?
    I forgot about the irish open,that should be good for the town.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    what kind of food is it?
    I forgot about the irish open,that should be good for the town.

I'm throwing a guess that'll be diner of some sort. The businesses in the town are getting together to help clean up the place in time for the golf visitors I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Sign on Greenes Deli saying Tanseys Deli was coming soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Went to Bistro 53 tonight, and was really disappointed. I thought the decor was gorgeous but it went downhill from there. Three or four different people served us and things seemed to fall between the cracks - one person was a bit rude and dismissive when we reminded them about something we were still waiting on.. then proceeded to forget it again. I had the chicken wings - extremely disappointing, tasted the gnocchi and they were gorgeous. Steaks were quite tough, pity as the seasoning was really nice.

Also it's a minor thing but it always looks bad when the menu hasn't been spell-checked. Overall I wouldn't go back, hopefully they're just teething issues, but you only get one chance to make a first impression

Went to Bistro 53 tonight, and was really disappointed. I thought the decor was gorgeous but it went downhill from there. Three or four different people served us and things seemed to fall between the cracks - one person was a bit rude and dismissive when we reminded them about something we were still waiting on.. then proceeded to forget it again. I had the chicken wings - extremely disappointing, tasted the gnocchi and they were gorgeous. Steaks were quite tough, pity as the seasoning was really nice.

Also it's a minor thing but it always looks bad when the menu hasn't been spell-checked. Overall I wouldn't go back, hopefully they're just teething issues, but you only get one chance to make a first impression

Just back !Decor is STUNNING!Even the toilets!You enter through 'drapes'/curtains and its like being transplanted into a James Bond movie!The three or four different people serving you is common in 'fancy' restaurants -one for drinks etc and this place is ,make no mistake fancy/'swanky' which is a refreshing change .The staff were without exception highly professional .I'd say a VERY informal diner might find the place /some of the more senior staff a bit 'snooty' but in fairness they brought colouring paper and crayons for my kids and chatted to them .My daughter (6) was offered a half portion of chicken and mushroom pasta without it being on the menu or my asking .(Only charged 6.50 instead of 14 and it was great -many kids pastas in other restaurants are bland at best) At first I thought it was exclusively european/non-irish but two lovely irish waiters also served us .Bistro 53 is without doubt my new favourite place for miles around .Some prices can be on the dear side for a la carte for sure but the earlybird is 17.95 I think , (open to correction) and there ARE some main course options for the cash strapped fine diner eg pastas around 14 and I got a 17 euro , gorgeous Italian chicken breast main with mash and tomato sauce and the sweetest ,huge basil leaves ever .Portions not huge but mega quality.Chips(3.50) were also REALLY good and generous portion.Wine is nice and COLD too -5.50 house white.Desserts 6 euro-sticky toffee pudding(increasingly a sickly sweet mini mess in many places but fab here) and mint choc ice cream a killer combo.Will be back with the Mrs. very soon!

Dropped into the new Tiger shop in Maynooth centre this evening.Funky retro chic music playing ,my two kids dancing round the place !Like a mini IKEA meets a Euro shop ,cool place .Bit annoying to see most of shops (NOT Tiger-at least some with 9pm closing time posted in window) with shutters down at 840...I thought they were bad in Liffey Valley hunting ya out at 15 minutes to closing time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Bit of work going on where Tom Flood bookies was. Outside given a coat of paint, and sheets covering the windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Bit of work going on where Tom Flood bookies was. Outside given a coat of paint, and sheets covering the windows.

I love the lemon yellow going on at the moment. It's bright without being gaudy!

Advertisement