Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Just in from new Caulfields, disappointed in the new opening, interior the same, had a Heineken, not fantastic, same for the lad I was with who had a Bud. New management, same pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

New owner. Same manager.

Had a bud in there on Thursday night. It was vile. Left hand it behind and went back to Bradys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭SQ2

Dropped in last night also to see what they'd done also, disappointing alright :(

Had a great crowd in there last night, beer being so bad wasn't a good start

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭beertons

You'd be better off telling them the beer is crap so they can try fix it. New lines would have a bad taste off them for a few weeks anyway.

• Advertisement

Very little was changed in the place, I'd be shocked if there were new lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Hula bu will be closing at some point - sign in Brady's auctioneers offering the retail unit for rent.

Greenes has re-opened now as The Gatehouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hula bu will be closing at some point - sign in Brady's auctioneers offering the retail unit for rent.

One of the oldest shops in the entire town - might even be the oldest if you don't count Tesco and it's century plus lineage as o'briens.

Over 40 years according to the For Rent sign.

• Advertisement

Abra has plastic over the windows and a note up. Which I couldn't read from the car

Chill, the college pizza place are opening up in Manor Mills.

MYOB wrote: »
    Abra has plastic over the windows and a note up. Which I couldn't read from the car

Refurbishment is what the sign says.

Tesco are using part of the old store as a collection point for internet shopping.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

saw that click and collect.
    I have only been in Abra once and I felt it was a bit grubby,so hopefully the refurb makes a difference to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Staplor wrote: »
    Very little was changed in the place, I'd be shocked if there were new lines

Just to confirm all new beer lines in Mc Mahons. Also why customers didn't lodge a complaint?

Did complain.

If they're new lines are they now delivering beer which tastes right? Haven't been in there since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Did complain.

If they're new lines are they now delivering beer which tastes right? Haven't been in there since.

hmm interesting. As another poster said, could be the plastic taste from new lines gone in.
    All the beer system is well run in now. From glasses to coolers. Pop in and say hello sometime :)
    sorry de-railing thread lol. What is the building works next door? someone said it'll be an Italian restaurant?

Nope, I'll wait til I hear if the beer is better before I go in again. Call me uneducated in the bar game, I don't see the reason of a new set up being an excuse for a poor product. I was in the Gatehouse the other morning, brand new, eager to get opinions of what their set up was like and how it could be improved - going about business the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kevint

Nope, I'll wait til I hear if the beer is better before I go in again. Call me uneducated in the bar game, I don't see the reason of a new set up being an excuse for a poor product. I was in the Gatehouse the other morning, brand new, eager to get opinions of what their set up was like and how it could be improved - going about business the right way.

Had a rather disappointing experience in the Gatehouse yesterday. Had a pasta dish which was so under-seasoned I'd guess that it wasn't seasoned at all?? We also ordered a side of chips which were undercooked, we returned them only to get another portion of undercooked chips. And then there was the quite visibly dirty teaspoon I got with my coffee!!!

These are very basic mistakes and I would expect better even of a restaurant that has just opened a few days. Also overheard 2 other customers making complaints to staff. Here's hoping they iron out all these issues quickly as the restaurant is really nice and has loads of potential - but there is now plenty of similar competition in Maynooth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

congo_90 wrote: »
    What is the building works next door? someone said it'll be an Italian restaurant?

It's a restaurant/bar. Being opened by the Donatello's/Picadero's family. Not sure what style it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭2011abc

kevint wrote: »
    Had a rather disappointing experience in the Gatehouse yesterday. Had a pasta dish which was so under-seasoned I'd guess that it wasn't seasoned at all?? We also ordered a side of chips which were undercooked, we returned them only to get another portion of undercooked chips. And then there was the quite visibly dirty teaspoon I got with my coffee!!!

These are very basic mistakes and I would expect better even of a restaurant that has just opened a few days. Also overheard 2 other customers making complaints to staff. Here's hoping they iron out all these issues quickly as the restaurant is really nice and has loads of potential - but there is now plenty of similar competition in Maynooth!

LOVED my first trip there on Saturday afternoon.(posted mini review elsewhere on forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SECRETX

not the same manager.. manager that's there now was there years ago, the only time Caulfields did well

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SECRETX

Ate in McMahons pub on Sunday.. food was incredible!! from display to taste not one fault !! credit to the lovely waiter couldn't have done more for us.. recommend the burger or fish generous portions as well money well spent!

SECRETX wrote: »
    Ate in McMahons pub on Sunday.. food was incredible!! from display to taste not one fault !! credit to the lovely waiter couldn't have done more for us.. recommend the burger or fish generous portions as well money well spent!

Well this review seems legit...

2011abc wrote: »
    LOVED my first trip there on Saturday afternoon.(posted mini review elsewhere on forum)

What's the story with the Gatehouse, is it open in the evenings as well? Seems to be closed any time I drive by...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

SQ2 wrote: »
    Well this review seems legit...

My thoughts exactly ;)
    Love the covert name!

I know I mocked the review but it was fairly spot on to be honest :) Had the Homemade Burger there earlier and it was Delish, good chunky home cut chips, nice portion of tasty pepper sauce too. Barman/waiter very friendly and attentive... €11 very well spent. The thing is, Bradys do a bloody good burger too... (Where's the "Bloated" emoticon?) What market should they target for their punters I wonder?? We were the only ones in the Lounge at the time!

Chill (proposed restaurant at Manor Mills where Kens/Riverside were) has got its alcohol licence - in the Champion this week - so I suspect it'll be open soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭2011abc

Gatehouse evening food now up and running .Very nice , especially desserts.If you like Zest , Clane the food here will seem very familiar!(And thats a good thing!)Weston Aerodrome (yeah I know now that some of the runway is in Dublin...!)wedges amazing,quite spicy and zingy as heck .Also all desserts only 4.50.WELL worth a visit .

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Chill (proposed restaurant at Manor Mills where Kens/Riverside were) has got its alcohol licence - in the Champion this week - so I suspect it'll be open soon.

The 'Champion just mentioned a restaurant license I think? The (vip) opening night is tomorrow night according to their, sorry, the Maynooth town, Facebook page.

Sick to the back teeth of that page BTW and the 20 minute interval updates about Chill. Just in case you're reading this Chill/Maynooth town! Getting un-liked in the morn!

Advertisement