Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Orion wrote: »
    Were they charged the fillet steak price? That's not acceptable - teething issues or not. If you order fillet and they don't have it you should be told before it's cooked.

I agree. That's a sure way to lose customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

They were charged for the rump, but when they complained they were then told they could get a fillet, but they'd have to wait for it to be cooked.

So they were told there was no fillet, so the chef did rump, then they complained and were told there was fillet, but they'd have to wait for it to be cooked. The whole thing was a case of a kitchen mess up, and then a waitress who was new to the job being left to deal with a situation, which wasn't her fault, while the manager just looked on and left her to it with no direction. A couple of deserts or coffees on the house would have totally changed the situation.

That wasn't the teething issues though, they were things like no water jugs, no side plates, starters on saucers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The manager/owner posted an apology for "issues" on the opening night to Facebook. I've no idea what those issues were, but clearly something went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

L1011 wrote: »
    The manager/owner posted an apology for "issues" on the opening night to Facebook. I've no idea what those issues were, but clearly something went wrong.

The door staff were treating people like dirt all night. I read one review from a girl who RSVP'd, traveled from Bray and was refused because she only had her invite on email and not printed out.

It's the same nonsense as when Mantra opened first, all the VIP sh!te, not looking after the locals, charging people €10 to get in and then the place was half empty.

Myself and some friends were there from early in the night and had wristbands for the free bar but if it wasn't for that I'd say we would have headed somewhere else.

IrishAlice wrote: »
    The door staff were treating people like dirt all night. I read one review from a girl who RSVP'd, traveled from Bray and was refused because she only had her invite on email and not printed out.

It's the same nonsense as when Mantra opened first, all the VIP sh!te, not looking after the locals, charging people €10 to get in and then the place was half empty.

Creating fake "exclusivity" is the main trade of these places...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

One of the clothes shops in Manor Mills is closing down,(Not Mexx) there stock was nearly cleared out yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Moonbeam wrote: »
    One of the clothes shops in Manor Mills is closing down,(Not Mexx) there stock was nearly cleared out yesterday.

It seemed to be completely cleared out earlier alright. Catch - the one beside the cobblers.

Some work going on over the weekend at Boss Hogg / Atlas / former florist / former toyshop / I'm not sure I can remember it being anything further back than that but that was 25 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

L1011 wrote: »
    Some work going on over the weekend at Boss Hogg / Atlas / former florist / former toyshop / I'm not sure I can remember it being anything further back than that but that was 25 years ago.

It started as a coffee shop as fa as I can remember. Back when picwicks was a few doors up.

Boss Hogg's was a nice coffee shop but it was tiny. I don't know how they thought they could eve have enough customers to make money. You couldn't fit enough people in there. As for takeout, you had to walk past other take out coffee places to get there. And they only sold small cups of coffee.

Pity it's gone but it was going to happen. Hopefully it won't be yet another O'Briens. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

I would have thought there was plenty of passing trade there to be honest.. I see the windows are cleared this morning, looks like it's opening again very soon

• Advertisement

Anyone spot the old Vodafone store at the corner opposite the Roost and the Garda station is becoming a PC Repair spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Grayson wrote: »
    It started as a coffee shop as fa as I can remember. Back when picwicks was a few doors up.

Boss Hogg's was a nice coffee shop but it was tiny. I don't know how they thought they could eve have enough customers to make money. You couldn't fit enough people in there. As for takeout, you had to walk past other take out coffee places to get there. And they only sold small cups of coffee.

Pity it's gone but it was going to happen. Hopefully it won't be yet another O'Briens. :)

New coffee bar there. Haven't been in, just passed today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Apache Pizza have an advert on Facebook saying they'll be open very soon (like, few days) in Maynooth- anyone know where? I don't recall seeing any renovations anywhere on the Main Street.

Just what Maynooth needs- another pizza place!! Although I'm not hugely impressed with any of the pizzas in the town, and apparently Apache is good.

Have ordered Apache from Smellbridge, it's good

Apache were in spar in Newtown before. Could be another instore, or a delivery only industrial unit.

Apache Pizza have an advert on Facebook saying they'll be open very soon (like, few days) in Maynooth- anyone know where? I don't recall seeing any renovations anywhere on the Main Street.

Just what Maynooth needs- another pizza place!! Although I'm not hugely impressed with any of the pizzas in the town, and apparently Apache is good.

Donatellos do takeaway - collect only. A real pizza. Not the sugary, doughed up crap the others serve.

ixus wrote: »
    Donatellos do takeaway - collect only. A real pizza. Not the sugary, doughed up crap the others serve.

Donatello's take away is fantastic, pricey but worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

ixus wrote: »

Ooooh... I did not know that! The fella and I are in search of an ACTUAL pizza, so I will try that the next time. Every other place in the town is varying shades of the same horrible.

The Gatehouse do the best Pizza I think, available as takeaway also

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

I see that the outside of what was the discount shop on the Main Street is being painted - beside ulster bank. I haven't noticed any work going on inside though.

• Advertisement

That building's doomed (or at least it feels like that to me) - was rebuilt in the 1990s, the bank that was in it merged and closed and then it had to be knocked and rebuilt for structural issues.

I'd guess it's being tidied up in time for The Fleadh next week, maybe part tidy town also

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Staplor wrote: »
    They were charged for the rump, but when they complained they were then told they could get a fillet, but they'd have to wait for it to be cooked.

So they were told there was no fillet, so the chef did rump, then they complained and were told there was fillet, but they'd have to wait for it to be cooked. The whole thing was a case of a kitchen mess up, and then a waitress who was new to the job being left to deal with a situation, which wasn't her fault, while the manager just looked on and left her to it with no direction. A couple of deserts or coffees on the house would have totally changed the situation.

That wasn't the teething issues though, they were things like no water jugs, no side plates, starters on saucers etc.

IrishAlice wrote: »

Myself and some friends were there from early in the night and had wristbands for the free bar but if it wasn't for that I'd say we would have headed somewhere else.

crap management and arsehole bouncers? Mantra II is here folks.

Donnatellas for real pizza. And papa johns for something fast...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love the pizza from Rebel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I love the pizza from Rebel :)

I agree. It's my favourite pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

+1 for Rebel Pizza, nicest I've found since moving to Maynooth.

Thin based pizza from rebel is grand, but it's not real pizza. Not on a par with Donatellos or, if you're willing to go to Leixlip, Da Vinci's. These do proper bases and fresh ingredients. Each to their own though.

Much as I like "proper" pizza, at 2am after a few drinks its a Rebel or at a push Mizzoni for me - needs the stodge factor.

+1 for Rebel Pizza, nicest I've found since moving to Maynooth.

Rebel look to have gotten a very red paint job recently... some might say "Apache Pizza" red...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

SQ2 wrote: »
    Rebel look to have gotten a very red paint job recently... some might say "Apache Pizza" red...

Noooooooo.gif

Advertisement