Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

L1011 wrote: »
    The former Flood house on the corner of Main Street and the Straffan Road has a lettings sign for "proposed 100 seater restaurant" on it but there's no planning permission submitted that I can see. Would not be surprised if that proved very hard to get.

There's a planning ad in the current Champion. I'll look up the number later.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I heard it was Inkjet world expanding into it- bringing in Arts & Crafts stuff? Could be wrong. Maynooth Office Supplies started doing loads of Arts & Crafts a while back, so it's nice to see more places branching out too.

Could easily be that - what I could see through the window could be either (folders, etc).

KCC not updating their planning website is likely the case with the planning application for the restaurant. Haven't got this weeks Champion yet as I was away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

KCC not updating their planning website is likely the case with the planning application for the restaurant. Haven't got this weeks Champion yet as I was away.

Some people put the notice in the paper before they apply to the council.

The application must be received by the council within 2 weeks of the notice appearing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The recently closed discount shop on Mill Street looks to be reopening as the same again.

The former Flood house on the corner of Main Street and the Straffan Road has a lettings sign for "proposed 100 seater restaurant" on it but there's no planning permission submitted that I can see. Would not be surprised if that proved very hard to get.

Is that Ivy House? As a protected building I'd be very surprised if they got planning permission for that use.

Orion wrote: »
    Is that Ivy House? As a protected building I'd be very surprised if they got planning permission for that use.

Yes. Based on who bought it I was expecting a pub or restaurant application and I don't expect it to be allowed either

• Advertisement

This is what's in the paper

Yes. Based on who bought it I was expecting a pub or restaurant application and I don't expect it to be allowed either

I thought they pulled out of that and it went to the underbidder. Or was that the house between the clock house and manor cabs. Same buyers

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is that the same guy who bought Caulfields?

Orion wrote: »
    I thought they pulled out of that and it went to the underbidder. Or was that the house between the clock house and manor cabs. Same buyers

Its a McMahon applying for planning anyway.

Beertons - same family.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Why wouldn't it be allowed as long as the building isn't substantially altered?

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Why wouldn't it be allowed as long as the building isn't substantially altered?

Near total lack of parking (I suspect absolutely none), inappropriate use for the character of the building, etc. There's what sound like fairly large modifications mentioned in the planning app but without drawings I can't be sure of that.

Additionally, Maynooth does not need any more restaurants - they do take this in to account if anyone applies for takeout permission, which has been refused a few times already, but I don't know for sit-in.

Near total lack of parking (I suspect absolutely none), inappropriate use for the character of the building, etc. There's what sound like fairly large modifications mentioned in the planning app but without drawings I can't be sure of that.

Additionally, Maynooth does not need any more restaurants - they do take this in to account if anyone applies for takeout permission, which has been refused a few times already, but I don't know for sit-in.

Wasn't Ivy House originally an Inn? The drawings look fairly tastefully done with the main house looking untouched externally.

There's a relatively large underused car park behind the Roost/Garda station. The current parking problem around the Glenroyal could be fixed quickly by making the existing parking pay and display, this would also help business in the town as it would displace commuters/gym-members.

On the last point, all thing being equal I think market forces should largely decide how many restaurants the town can support rather than the council. The exception being fast food outlets which by their nature have a nuisance factor to take into account.

Drawings aren't available online so I don't know where you're seeing them. Its use for an extremely long time has been residential and nothing else.

Drawings aren't available online so I don't know where you're seeing them. Its use for an extremely long time has been residential and nothing else.

Given its position on the junction and proximity to The Cathedral, i'd say it's much better suited to commercial than residential.

Assuming any conversion work is tastefully done I think a restaurant would be a great use for such a landmark building. Having Ivy House lit up at night would really brighten that side of the square up.

He's right though. It was originally an Inn/Guesthouse.

It must be the other property that fell through if this is still the same family as McMahons

Where did you see the drawings?

Doesn't look particularly sympathetic, and use prior to 1840 isn't going to help a planning application. I'll be astounded if its allowed.

Doesn't look particularly sympathetic, and use prior to 1840 isn't going to help a planning application. I'll be astounded if its allowed.

By sympathetic I assume you mean it's not a disneyesque faux-historical themed extension. That's actually a good thing, nothing wrong with clearly differentiating the old and the new.

One thing is for certain, it's an improvement over the large tall modern stonewall and metal gate that's there at the moment. How anyone thought that particular piece of prison yard architecture would be a good addition to the square is beyond me.

Graham wrote: »
    By sympathetic I assume you mean it's not a disneyesque faux-historical themed extension. That's actually a good thing, nothing wrong with clearly differentiating the old and the new.

No, I mean that it requires cutting in to the original structure.

When the actual planning app comes out we'll see how significant that is, and also how reliant they are on what was there 170 years ago to justify change of use now. I could see change of use to retail and no extension being extremely easy to get, but restaurant and an extension both rather unlikely.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see the stone wall and gate removed to reveal the yard, the old coachhouse (I assume as was) and the current single storey kitchen. I think that would dramatically improve that particular side of Courthouse square.

I can't imagine you'd be permitted to to do much to the main building of Ivy House itself but there's not a lot you could to to it internally. There's really only two rooms on each floor, one on the Main Street side of the house (in the bay) and one room on the Straffan Road side.

It would be nice to see a business operating beyond 9 - 5:30 as it would bring some life to the Square of an evening and more than likely have a positive effect on the row of shops between Ivy House and 3 pin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Since it's relevant to businesses opening in the town...

I have started operating a new Acupuncture & Tuina Clinic on Saturdays & Sundays above Express Cabs (behind The Roost), called Aimée's Acupuncture Clinic. I'm subletting from 'The Treatment Room,' but if anyone is interested in checking out my facebook or website and can't find it (still working on my online visability), you can PM me for the link.

(BuffyBot very kindly cleared me posting this up btw, no need to report ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

Graham wrote:
    I can't imagine you'd be permitted to to do much to the main building of Ivy House itself but there's not a lot you could to to it internally. There's really only two rooms on each floor, one on the Main Street side of the house (in the bay) and one room on the Straffan Road side.

In the meantime, the house is up for residential let on daft

shoehorn wrote: »
    In the meantime, the house is up for residential let on daft

It's been up a few weeks now, originally with no photo so it would have be easy to miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Just saw a planning notice being erected at Ivy House/Flood house.

I heard it was Inkjet world expanding into it.

This seems to be the case alright.

Has the accessories shop on Mill Street closed?

It is. They're putting their Thesis/CV business there.

Ivy House planning is submitted but not yet scanned by KCC - http://idocsweb.kildarecoco.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/listFiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=15922

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Has the accessories shop on Mill Street closed?

Yep they're closed, they had a closing down sale for ages

Advertisement