Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Mystique? Yep - the owners have retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

L1011 wrote: »
    Ivy House planning is submitted but not yet scanned by KCC - http://idocsweb.kildarecoco.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/listFiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=15922

They are scanned in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Glenroyal has applied for major enough changes, not scanned yet.

Convert one of the function rooms to a restaurant, convert the existing restaurant to 9 bedrooms, 26 further bedrooms "at first and second floor of existing hotel" which I'll need the documents to understand, new pedestrian entrance to Straffan Road (which will need steps or a ramp or both, I'd imagine, but be handy for going to Supervalu etc from the south of the town if it does)

They must be doing OK if 37 extra rooms are needed! I was there for an event a while ago where a walk-in was being turned away due to it being full, on a random weeknight. Wouldn't be surprised if the function room for the chop is the former nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Tried to book a room for friends recently. Booked out every night we tried on various weekends.

Makes sense to change the old function room. Move La Tania or a new restaraunt there and make rooms where La Tania is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Intel works seems to have a big impact on Glenroyal and B&B availability during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Unsure, but driving past Frida's this morning it appears to have a closed notice in the window, has anyone seen this?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

Yes, saw it yesterday. Said it was closed due to a "technical" issue. The owner also owns Lan Tania in the Glenroyal.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

fmc3105 wrote:
    Yes, saw it yesterday. Said it was closed due to a "technical" issue. The owner also owns Lan Tania in the Glenroyal.

Permanently or temporary?

Walked by it about two weeks ago midweek at lunch time and it was closed. You would imagine that would be its peak time....

Come to think of it, it should be a magnate for collecting on the way to train station as students head home.. with kind of promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There's a different restaurant in the Newtown Inn. Lots of scaffolding in the back hall this morning, must have gone up over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hope it's ok to post in this thread... I'm only getting used to maynooth and trying to find the best local shops for the following:
    Hardware/Builders suppliers
    Fruit/veg
    Butchers

Would love to get recommendations from people living in the area. thanks.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hope it's ok to post in this thread... I'm only getting used to maynooth and trying to find the best local shops for the following:
    Fruit/veg
    Butchers

Do you drive? If so, the answer to question one is Barrett's. Just drive back over the M4 bridge.

Fruit/veg: open to debate on that one. No shortage of supermarkets. If you're near Donovan's behind Maxol, that's surprisingly good for a small-ish shop.

Butchers: Again, if you're near Donovan's the craft butchers there is great.
    Bonus-answer-to-a-question-you-didn't-ask: There's a fish monger's in the Glenroyal/Supervalue shopping centre.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Fruit/veg
    Butchers

Hardware - Barretts are cheap and helpful, their opening hours are a serious issue though, close about 1 or 2 on Saturdays and 5 on weekdays.

Fruit/veg - there's only one standalone shop, Mastersons at the old Tesco, open Monday-Saturday. Buy pretty much everything there myself

Butchers - I always use Coynes down at the old Tesco. Mulcahys at Greenfield and Cribbins in Manor Mills (Dunnes) are also viable options but I've no reason to change.

(old Tesco = row of shops and empty big shop the opposite side of the carpark from the current Tesco, where the post office is)

Bonus-answer-to-a-question-you-didn't-ask: There's a fish monger's in the Glenroyal/Supervalue shopping centre.

I found the fishmongers ;)
    Yes, I do drive so will check out barretts tomorrow, thanks.

Thanks L1011 also. I'll go on a little scout around tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Mulcahys is great however I generally use Supervalu. The butcher's there is excellent too. Even most of the prepacked stuff is actually from the butcher's rather than delivered vacuum packed.
    Hardware - in Glenroyal Shopping Centre there's a grand shop. Helpful guys. General hardware supplies and paint.
    Builders Providers - Barretts at the M4 roundabout.
    Fruit/Veg - as said above Masterson's is the only dedicated one. All supermarkets have a wide selection as well.

I use Mulcahy buther a lot but I'd give a strong thumbs up to Supervalue Lucan (old Superquinn). It is miles ahead.

On motorway from Maynooth, it is the fourth exit, just after the Spa hotel. Right over the bridge, 500m and right at roundabout. Best grocery shopping centre in the region. Old Superquinn flagship store.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'm not in Maynooth, am in Clane, but I generally do most of my butcher shopping in mulcahys. A little bit More expensive than the supermarkets and even coynes (although their €20 meal is amazing!) but Mulcahys is definitely worth the money. Find the fruit and veg shop at old tesco overpriced too and can't say I've thought their produce has been worth it. I often pop into Donovan's when I'm at the butcher for their fresh salads and they always have good Offers on fruit and veg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I drove through the Square today and noticed The Glass Doll (I think...) is now open. That new craft type shop where KnB used to be.

@Yellow Hen, I find Supervalu, and then Lidl, to be the best for quality of fruit & veg. Might be different if you're doing a shop a couple of times a week and they're not sitting around too long (I'm only buying for me), but I find their fruit & veg don't go off as quickly as Tesco (the worst!) and Aldi (sometimes).

I think that's the most brackets I've ever included in a short paragraph (maybe).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Fruit and veg, anywhere, my house isn't picky. For meat Mulcahy is miles ahead of anywhere in Maynooth. In my opinion it is:

mulcahy for everything number 1
    Aldi for expensive steak when mulcahy not open (Sunday)
    Super Valu Sunday chicken
    Butchers block in manor mills Sunday everything else
    coynes if I happen to be at Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I buy our fruit in Mastersons except Bananas because they are really cheap in Nisa/Donovans/the shop beside Xtra vision and the chippers.It is also the cheapest for milk.
    I do most of the shopping in Super Valu because they are really nice there as are their delivery drivers.
    I buy the meat in Coynes because it is reasonable and they are very friendly.
    Aldi is good for steak.
    I buy veg in which ever shop I happen to be in.

So I've sussed out all the places listed above, thank you all very much. The weather has been so far since we've got here that there's been very little chance to go for walks. So far, I haven't spotted a Thai or Indian though. Is there either and would you recommend them?

Theres a Thai and Indian in one place in the Glenroyal - Lan Thania, has another name for the Indian which I can't remember. Decent enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Mumbai Spice is the Indian part of the restaurant.

You walk into the lobby of the Glenroyal Hotel and go up the stairs on the right to the first floor (iirc)

It's a pretty decent Indian, I've never had the Thai but I have friends who swear by it. Although, if it's Indian you want and you're ordering in, Delhi Darber in Celbridge delivers to Maynooth and is phenomenal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

wasn't too impressed with Lan Tania myself, pretty ordinary food and a bit overpriced. The Orient and Royal City do some Thai stuff but I've never gotten any from either.
    Delhi Darbar would definitely be my choice for Indian stuff. I've heard Korma at Home in Dunboyne is quite good too, but I've yet to order from there. there's Bumbai Creative and Taste of Tandoori in Leixlip too: https://www.just-eat.ie/area/maynooth-co-kildare/indian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

There's a decent Indian above the Newtown Inn too

Dolbert wrote: »
    There's a decent Indian above the Newtown Inn too

Was. Closed down in the summer.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Lan thania is lovely, really good food dheli darbar in Celbridge is really good too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

That Indian in Dunboyne is miles ahead of the others it's delivery only, the packaging is brilliant and stays really hot. 1 rice between 2 is plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Indian in Dunboyne is amazing.
    Lan Tania is nice to eat in terrible for delivery.
    Delhi Darbar is Bumbai creative are both good.

Advertisement