Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

L1011 wrote: »
    Was. Closed down in the summer.

Never realised, it's still on Just Eat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Yep, Korma at Home in Dunboyne is unreal. Huge portions and they tend to throw in a few little extras too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Must add that Indian Kitchen in Leixlip is decent enough particularly if you've got a vegetarian or vegan eating with you (or are one); nobody else has mentioned it yet. One of the few Leixlip places that takes less than an aeon to deliver to Maynooth too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Is Frida's still closed? Drove past today and saw the sign up. Checked their facebook and website and they have no mention they have been closed at all. Very strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Ms. Koi wrote: »
    Is Frida's still closed? Drove past today and saw the sign up. Checked their facebook and website and they have no mention they have been closed at all. Very strange!

Yes seems very strange. Sign in window says due to technical difficulties and their sister restaurant Lan Tania is fulfilling orders. It wouldn't inspire confidence really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Ms. Koi wrote: »

I walked by it on Sunday and it says that it's closed for technical issues but that a delivery service is operating from its sister restaurants Lan Tania/Mumbai Spice.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

I tried the Indian in Dunboyne at the weekend after all of the recommendations on here. I have to say Delhi Darbar is still number 1 for me!

Rathkenny wrote: »
    I walked by it on Sunday and it says that it's closed for technical issues but that a delivery service is operating from its sister restaurants Lan Tania/Mumbai Spice.

So the restaurant/kitchen in Glenroyal are now doing Thai, Indian and Mexican?! Quite a versatile chef/team...but you'd wonder how truly expert they could be in each of these quite distinct types of food

Good.
    Missed the programme but hope they name and shame. Would like to avoid those that exploit their 'staff'.

Good.
    Missed the programme but hope they name and shame. Would like to avoid those that exploit their 'staff'.

This meant to be in the radio forum by any chance?

• Advertisement

This meant to be in the radio forum by any chance?

Weird. I was replying to a post which has now disappeared. I received a notification about it but it's now gone. The post was about Joe Duffy highlighting Maynooth restaurants that had reportedly taken students on a 'trial' basis but neglected to pay them.

Was it removed by the poster or by mods?

Weird. I was replying to a post which has now disappeared. I received a notification about it but it's now gone. The post was about Joe Duffy highlighting Maynooth restaurants that had reportedly taken students on a 'trial' basis but neglected to pay them.

Was it removed by the poster or by mods?

Either is possible. Was mentioned on the radio forum also. I've no idea what restaurant(s?) they are, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The site is having issues and posts disappear and come back. Or it could have been deleted by BuffyBot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

I posted ( and then deleted) about the fact that Maynooth restaurant"S" were exploiting students asking them to work long shifts and sending them home without even a few euro from the tips .Now I heard most of the RTE Radio 1 Joe Duffy feature but missed some of it .Im listening to it now .
    The owner of the restaurant that is featured most negatively was interviewed and sounded very sincere ( hence my post deletion till Id heard entire show)
    He is adamant there are no unpaid trials .My wife's workmates daughter has been stung in both his restaurant and another in Maynooth .Any Restaurant I hear of exploiting people like this will not get a cent of my custom .
    They have a PR from the Porterhouse group who have a history of using Jobbridge on claiming they don't have paid trials .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Here's the link to listen for yourself:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/

Venues are identifiable if you listen to that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Am I listening to the wrong part? All I've heard about Maynooth restaurants so far is some woman complaining that her daughter didn't get paid for transition year work experience and didn't get a job after it. She didn't even wan't to discuss it with the restaurant owner and hung up.

Helicopter parenting springs to mind.

Good luck to any child looking for transition year work experience in Maynooth in the future. I can't imagine any employer wanting to risk being called exploitative for giving someone the opportunity they've asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

Transition year students on work experience don't get paid, that is the whole point of the program, it is experience. Usually they do once a week for x amount of weeks or one whole week in a place.

The issue is not primarily about TY students it's about 18-22 year old students .Selective listening / quoting guys .Love the way it's turned into a threat that TY work experience will cease .Self employed ?! Pure exploitation like Jobbridge .I won't be spending my money in places who treat staff badly

MPPS used to do everything they could to avoid students doing retail or food service workex in the first place so I doubt that is much of an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

fmc3105 wrote: »
    Transition year students on work experience don't get paid, that is the whole point of the program, it is experience. Usually they do once a week for x amount of weeks or one whole week in a place.

Ah but, it really depends on what your experience is in. You wouldn't expect anything for shadowing a nurse, for example, but if you're waiting tables you should at least be getting a share of the tips. Way back in the day I did mine in a primary school and got a present when I finished the two-week stint. In terms of getting somebody in to work for a week or two (or once a week for a number of weeks, as you say) €50 or €100 isn't a lot to you in the grand scheme of things but it's a lot to a student of 15/16. If you've somebody in doing valuable man hours for you, you should at least give some token of appreciation.

The segment (or what i heard of it) is about paying people for trials, once again if somebody's in to help out, at very least feed them dinner or throw them a few bob.

It brings to mind my OH's little sister who worked in a discount shop for her TY work experience last spring, they got her to do all the crap jobs they didn't want to do like sorting and moving boxes etc, she did everything with a chirpy smile on her face with the hope of getting a few hours part-time work afterwards, and they barely said goodbye when she left, which is pig ignorant in my book.

Just to state again the main thrust of peoples upset is not about TY students who should not expect payment but Third Level students or unemployed young people who are looking for work .Theres also a post on another site from a lady who claims shes far older than 18-22 and was also owed money .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

For anyone interested in the Ivy House planning.

Kildare Co Co have sought further information.

http://idocsweb.kildarecoco.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=1867206&format=djvu

One of the clothes shops in Manor Mills (I can't remember for sure which one so I'm not going to name names in case I got the wrong one) appears to have just shut up - lights off, sign in the window saying its closed and to "contact proprietor" but no details. Still fully stocked.

The old K&B unit (the bigger of their two old ones) has Terms Agreed on the sale board so I'd imagine something will open there soon.

One of the clothes shops in Manor Mills (I can't remember for sure which one so I'm not going to name names in case I got the wrong one) appears to have just shut up - lights off, sign in the window saying its closed and to "contact proprietor" but no details. Still fully stocked.

The old K&B unit (the bigger of their two old ones) has Terms Agreed on the sale board so I'd imagine something will open there soon.

I heard it was going to be the beauty salon that's over Twist moving into it but will have to wait and see

Planning has been applied for to change the last remaining house on the Bradys side of the square to (another!!) restaurant.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Planning has been applied for to change the last remaining house on the Bradys side of the square to (another!!) restaurant.

Could do with it soon (I jest)!! I rang every restaurant in maynooth today for a table on Saturday night to no avail!! I know it's the season and all but seiously!! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is crazy.
    There are so many of them.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That is crazy.
    There are so many of them.

I know! We got a reservation in the end but we've had to go further afield! Madness!

• Advertisement

I know lots of people wouldn't agree but I wish we had a Costa or similar! Not many buggy-friendly places in the town to pop in with baby when she's due a feed and I just want a coffee not food

Advertisement