Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

I know lots of people wouldn't agree but I wish we had a Costa or similar! Not many buggy-friendly places in the town to pop in with baby when she's due a feed and I just want a coffee not food

I agree. Chill has served me well over the last year but it would be nice to have some options!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,803 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unit isn't big enough for what Costa would want I'd imagine.

I can't see Tesco sitting on the old hulk empty for too much longer particularly as phase 1 is now full - would take a stab at there being a few more big boxes in there within 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

L1011 wrote: »
    Unit isn't big enough for what Costa would want I'd imagine.

I can't see Tesco sitting on the old hulk empty for too much longer particularly as phase 1 is now full - would take a stab at there being a few more big boxes in there within 18 months.

Strangely enough i heard Halfords were considering Maynooth for a new location but didn't trust the source

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

SO! I was doing some stealthy investigating into Frida's there last week, although I wasn't as stealthy as I thought ha!
    I rang the number online and it rang out. There was a voice message which has some basic info, but I didn't get a chance to hang up in time. A few minutes later I got a call back from Lan Tania in Glenroyal.
    I just asked if they would open again any time soon, they said they were operating the take away from Lan Tania if I wanted. The guy on the phone said that they would be opening a new Indian restaurant in place of Frida's soon.
    Sounds very dodge altogether, mixing between loads of different types of cuisines.

I learned a lot from this call, the main being that I should not go into PI work!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I know lots of people wouldn't agree but I wish we had a Costa or similar! Not many buggy-friendly places in the town to pop in with baby when she's due a feed and I just want a coffee not food

The Bagel Factory in Manor Mills,The Elite on the main street and The Coffee Mill are the places that we have used for that over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yeah I'm just being picky really - I find the bagel place can be quite cold when people keep leaving the door to outside open, buggy is a squeeze in the Elite and Coffee Mill has the stairs. I tend to go to Coffee Lounge but not mad on it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The stairs wouldn't bother me at all but I am used to hauling around a double buggy and other kids too:) I am not too mad about The Coffee Lounge and I know what you mean about The Bagel Factory.
    We sometime go down to the university too and there are some nice coffee shops there and plenty of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Where's good in the university? never thought of heading there

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/campus-life/campus-facilities/cafes-restaurants

I think all but the Starbucks are available to the general public

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The stairs wouldn't bother me at all but I am used to hauling around a double buggy and other kids too:) I am not too mad about The Coffee Lounge and I know what you mean about The Bagel Factory.
    We sometime go down to the university too and there are some nice coffee shops there and plenty of space.

Out of interest, what do you do with the double buggy when going to Coffee Mill? This has proved to be a problem for me. Do you leave it upstairs or carry downstairs? The fact they only have 2 highchairs is also an issue with twins - there always seems to be at least one in use.

• Advertisement

I carry it down or if it is really packed I leave it outside and bring the kids down. my baby is 19 months now so high chairs are not too much of an issue,I prefer to use one but she is fine with out one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

There's another Chinese gone into the Newtown Inn, Golden Palace iirc. Can't find anything about it online, will have to pop in for a menu. I used to like the old chinese that was there, I find the other two in town a bit bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Tango One

That new Chinese at newtown inn is really good probably my favorite in the town.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I heard a guy ran into the spar at Newtown inn last night brandishing what looked like a gun. He went behind the counter to go for the safe, and the guy behind the counter hit him over the head with a bottle. Smashed the bottle. Knocked yer man out cold. Very brave.

Presuming that's true, it's somewhere between brave and very risky! What if he had missed or hadn't connected so well? Good way to find out whether it was a real gun or not.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

He said he knew it was fake from his time in the Polish army.

So I presume the Gardai have arrested the suspect?
    Hopefully the sentence for brandishing a fake firearm is the same as for waving around a loaded gun. Most people wouldn't know the difference (including me).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

beertons wrote: »
    He said he knew it was fake from his time in the Polish army.
    He probably shouldn't admit this.

He might up been charged with assault.

brian_t wrote: »
    He probably shouldn't admit this.

He might up been charged with assault.

Even knowing it to be fake, there's an allowance for reasonable defence actions and he won't be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Second time that's been raided and off licence in last 8-10wks so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Without putting a new thread here what's going in across from Tesco at the building site? Didn't see any sign/planning (not around there usually).

Without putting a new thread here what's going in across from Tesco at the building site? Didn't see any sign/planning (not around there usually).

Assuming you mean across the road - houses. Lots and lots of houses. Will be houses (and apartments) all the way down to the Blacklion eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the planning application is on the Kildare CC site I think. it was discussed a while back in the Castlepark thread in the Accommodation sub-forum on here.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That is crazy.
    There are so many of them.

The owners of Donatellos have objected to the Ivy House planning application.

According to them there are 44+ different types of eateries in Maynooth.

14 Restaurants
    9 Gastro Pubs
    14 Coffee Shops
    & 7 Fast-Food Take-aways.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

14 Restaurants
    9 Gastro Pubs
    14 Coffee Shops

Ohhhhh now they think there's too many eateries, there's a shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

14 Restaurants
    9 Gastro Pubs
    14 Coffee Shops

Where did you see that?

3 of those restaurants are their own!

Where are these 9 gastro pubs? Bradys, Roost, McMahons, O'Neills. That's it. They probably included Cathedral before it closed but that's now gone. Newtown only does sandwiches. Glenroyal is a hotel.

Orion wrote: »
    Where did you see that?

http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiry/

The number is 15922

In their submission (under Documents) they list all 44

There aren't 9 pubs! Let alone 'gastro' pubs.

They list Cathedral, the Newtown Inn, the Glenroyal *twice* and Carton which many people in Maynooth likely haven't set foot in.

Restaurant list has Carton twice, Fridas which is closed.

There are too many but they're over-egging the number a bit.

36 houses

The planning number is 14660

See link in previous post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

L1011 wrote: »
    There aren't 9 pubs! Let alone 'gastro' pubs.

They list Cathedral, the Newtown Inn, the Glenroyal *twice* and Carton which many people in Maynooth likely haven't set foot in.

Restaurant list has Carton twice, Fridas which is closed.

There are too many but they're over-egging the number a bit.

They actually have Carton three times: Linden Tree, Coach House and Front Bar. They do list Cathedral which is gone. The Newtown is not a gastro pub - only sambos. Glenroyal three times. Aren't Tansey's and the GateHouse the same place - side by side but never open together. Three places in NUIM which are for students only but leave out the SU. Chill should be under lunch too.

In the list of Coffee shops most would not be in competition with a restaurant. The likes of O'Briens and the Bagel Factory are for sandwiches not a sit down meal. Similarly the takeaways are targetting a different audience. Absolute nonsense submission.

tbh I wouldn't mind seeing another quality restaurant in the town. Right now there's only Bistro 53, Avenue (was there tonight - delicious food), Lan Tania and Stonehaven (last time I was there it was dingy and poor quality though - used to be excellent). I'm excluding all of Carton as that's not in the town and caters for a specific audience. You may as well include the K Club. I don't rate Oak Alley - average food overpriced and Picaderos I'll never set foot in again. The two chinese places are basic crap - be better listed under takeaways except they have tables. So for the quality restaurants there are few choices.

Advertisement