Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Orion wrote:
    Aren't Tansey's and the GateHouse the same place - side by side but never open together.

Nope. Gatehouse does one of the best breakfasts in the town actually, and on a rare hot day the terrace is packed outside for lunch. I actually can't understand how it's not busier in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I kind of see their point but, you can't be doing that when you have two family members running restaraunts in the town. If it was a franchise going in, maybe.

Haven't sat down in there in a long time but I regularly get a takeaway pizza. Proper pizza it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Did the Deli counters in Dunnes, Tesco, Supervalu and Centra get a mention in there at all?! 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

SQ2 wrote: »
    Nope. Gatehouse does one of the best breakfasts in the town actually, and on a rare hot day the terrace is packed outside for lunch. I actually can't understand how it's not busier in the evenings

Haven't eaten there. Must check out that breakfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

There's a new teeth whitening clinic going in above Donatello's Restaurant. Not sure what they're called or when they're open, but will be soon, think they're just putting the finishing touches on the place now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Have my in laws up today and they want to go out for dinner. It'll be early afternoon so pub food would be ideal. Is bradys any good? Bar menus and not carvery. Is there anywhere else to go? Thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

McMahons.

beertons wrote: »
    McMahons.

I clearly don't know anywhere! Where's that? Is it standard but good pub fare?

yellow hen wrote: »
    I clearly don't know anywhere! Where's that? Is it standard but good pub fare?

It's beside Bradys. I personally think the food in McMahons has taken a nosedive. Bradys clockhouse or O'Neills are the best two.

McMahons is carvery on a Sunday I think.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Orion wrote: »

Ooops, it's carvery.

Another place would be the salmon leap in leixlip, a bit far maybe.

O'neills is across the road from bank of Ireland isn't it? Will look there and bradys. Usually wouldn't mind going to leixlip but pushed for time today. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

O'neills is across the road from bank of Ireland isn't it? Will look there and bradys. Usually wouldn't mind going to leixlip but pushed for time today. Thanks.

Yep across from BOI.

O Neills. Pubs probably busy with liverpool unites match though.

Salmon Leap in Leixlip is very good. Easy to get to, out motorway, 2nd leixlip exit, left, left again into leixlip. 800metres and pub on corner on your ledt before the bridge. Loads of parking in behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Has a menu too. Was there last Sunday. Personally think it's the best pub grub in Maynooth at the moment.

So we ended up in mcmahons and ordered from the s la carte menu. Wouldn't have rated it at all to be honest and service was poor. Served a burning hot dish to a 2yr old and didn't tell us. Steak came with 9 chips (honestly, we counted!). Maybe it was just a bad day. Will try o'neills next time though.

So we ended up in mcmahons and ordered from the s la carte menu. Wouldn't have rated it at all to be honest and service was poor. Served a burning hot dish to a 2yr old and didn't tell us. Steak came with 9 chips (honestly, we counted!). Maybe it was just a day. Will try o'neills next time though.

I warned you. It used to be good but it's gone to $hite

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

ixus wrote: »
    O Neills. Pubs probably busy with liverpool unites match though.

Salmon Leap in Leixlip is very good. Easy to get to, out motorway, 2nd leixlip exit, left, left again into leixlip. 800metres and pub on corner on your ledt before the bridge. Loads of parking in behind it.

Was there once on Sunday, never again, food was awfully plain and dull. Was in the Village Inn in Celbridge a few times recently and had some decent food there (non carvery), would sooner head there. O'Neill's can be mixed enough, not really that much better than the Roost (would be a lot better if it was not so dark in the back). Last time I was in McMahon's it was dire - dirty, bad food, deserted. Casting a cold eye over Maynooth it's far from being a 'gastro-hub'!

Poster asked for pub food in Maynooth with tight time.

Would send them to Sallins, Lucan, Kilcullen if asked for gastro..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,803 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The pubs in Maynooth don't really make much of an effort food-wise, due to the volume of restaurants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The golf club in Carton does really nice food and it isn't crazy expensive.
    Competition is good, I would welcome more restaurants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

L1011 wrote: »
    The pubs in Maynooth don't really make much of an effort food-wise, due to the volume of restaurants.

I don't think it's anything to do with the volume of restaurants. None of them are trying to be Gastropubs, they all just offer fairly standard pub grub.

Brady's do a good Sunday lunch, McMahons used to until they started pre-slicing the beef and leaving it to stew in trays of water before service.

Graham wrote: »
    I don't think it's anything to do with the volume of restaurants. None of them are trying to be Gastropubs, they all just offer fairly standard pub grub.

Brady's do a good Sunday lunch, McMahons used to until they started pre-slicing the beef and leaving it to stew in trays of water before service.

It doesn't need to be a gastropub to serve good honest food.

Will try the golf club in carton next time, thanks.

Was up by Tesco for first time in a while. Saw the new site under construction. Have to say I'm shocked at how close the buildings are to the petrol station. Imagine the view from those houses, petrol station, Tesco, McDonalds & traffic.

ixus wrote: »
    Was up by Tesco for first time in a while. Saw the new site under construction. Have to say I'm shocked at how close the buildings are to the petrol station. Imagine the view from those houses, petrol station, Tesco, McDonalds & traffic.

My partner had the same attitude - asked how they were allowed build that close!

The screening walls are going to be fairly oppresive compared to how open the other residential areas are on that side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Is anyone else worried about the level of construction going on in Maynooth at the moment?

It seems like there are houses being built on every free patch of land around the town and nothing is being done to tackle the traffic congestion problems in the town.

Will the proposed ring road ever be built?

IrishAlice wrote: »

Its dependent on construction as the council have basically abdicated responsibility to developers. One estate which would have covered part of it was refused due to many reasons including the fact that the land floods in even medium rain currently.

There are many areas of land within the town that aren't built on that have had plans for in the past and will only make things worse if completed.

New houses behind part of Greenfield Lane, the former Pitch and Putt site, the former quarry site beside the church and the adjoining site which had a single house on it, the former Leavy's scrapyard & hostel site on the Straffan Road - these all have current or expired planning permission. Expect to see more infills like Ard Na Greine also - 4 houses on the site of one 1970s bungalow.

The LDP has a new road in the town centre running from the Glenroyal, over the bottom of the harbour field and through the current sites of the ICA hall and fire station through to Parson Street (where there were some houses derelict for many years but are now let out again); this may be public transport only anyway so will have minimal impact.

L1011 wrote: »
    The LDP has a new road in the town centre running from the Glenroyal, over the bottom of the harbour field and through the current sites of the ICA hall and fire station through to Parson Street (where there were some houses derelict for many years but are now let out again); this may be public transport only anyway so will have minimal impact.

That will be cycle and pedestrian only. The emergency services will also be able to use it to avoid the town centre.

That will be cycle and pedestrian only. The emergency services will also be able to use it to avoid the town centre.

At the time the 67-to-Moyglare-Hall idea was still being bounced around, it using it was also mentioned as the turns would be less agressive than they'd have to do on the Main Street particularly in a triaxle - crossing the Main Street directly would be far easier.

Now, we know how dead that proposal is currently though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Is anyone else worried about the level of construction going on in Maynooth at the moment?

It seems like there are houses being built on every free patch of land around the town and nothing is being done to tackle the traffic congestion problems in the town.

Yes,they do seem to be building everywhere but there is also a huge shortage of housing in Maynooth.

Advertisement