Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,803 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Yes,they do seem to be building everywhere but there is also a huge shortage of housing in Maynooth.

As the insane prices people are paying for the shoeboxes in Hayfield shows. €255,506.60 ex VAT on the register :eek:

A neighbours near identical house with maybe 10k of improvements finally went Sold last week so I await that update with bated breath.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Is anyone else worried about the level of construction going on in Maynooth at the moment?

It seems like there are houses being built on every free patch of land around the town and nothing is being done to tackle the traffic congestion problems in the town.

Will the proposed ring road ever be built?

Once I really would like to have bought here, but now the more built up and congested it gets, the appeal has almost died.

Houses are springing up like mushrooms. The ring road is as about as likely as Mantra being a successful business. And don't get me started on how poorly the town is run, a shambles for the last 10+ years. No forward planning, no foresight, awful communication to name a few.

Hang on does anyone need a traffic light? I'll do you a good deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Yeah same, we have gone off the idea of buying in maynooth. Have no desire to be right on top of our neighbours, or spend 30 min in traffic just to get to the town. We were interested in castle park, but werent ready to buy at the time. I hate the lego house feel of new designs, much prefer older estates like rockfield where you don't feel suffocated as soon as you drive in.

I looked for houses in Maynooth for ages, complaining that they weren't building enough houses - apart from Castlepark.

Now that they have actually started building them it actually seems less attractive because, as others noted, new developments are on top of one another and the traffic situation is chronic.

My solution: we moved to Celbridge! Still traffic issues in the village at peak times but plenty of established estates and some very good schools.
    #biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

There's a market for 4/5 bed semi/detached houses. Flooding the town with 2/3 bed townhouses is going to ruin its attractiveness.

• Advertisement

ixus wrote: »
    There's a market for 4/5 bed semi/detached houses. Flooding the town with 2/3 bed townhouses is going to ruin its attractiveness.

The market is there for both - whatever they're building is selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

There's always a shortage of 4 bed homes, 3 beds are smaller meaning more houses and more money. It's a planning issue. Development should be forced to include a mix of houses. Not just pack in as many as we can to maximise profit - which is what developers do - they're a business at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

L1011 wrote: »
    The market is there for both - whatever they're building is selling.

There's a market right now. Should Intel or HP shut up shop or one fab, it would have a huge impact. Wasn't too long ago people had their pick of property to rent or buy. Planners and councils should not forget this when planning for the future.

I looked for houses in Maynooth for ages, complaining that they weren't building enough houses - apart from Castlepark.

Now that they have actually started building them it actually seems less attractive because, as others noted, new developments are on top of one another and the traffic situation is chronic.

My solution: we moved to Celbridge! Still traffic issues in the village at peak times but plenty of established estates and some very good schools.
    #biased.

Celbridge is now top of my list. Much better sized homes!

Well, that is the conclusion we came to as well. In terms of bang-for-buck it just seems like you get more elsewhere. I also wonder how Maynooth will look in the long run if they build loads of units opposite Tesco and maybe more on the Dunboyne Road.

If you don't have a particular need to be in/near Maynooth then the lack of value there would certainly make you consider Celbridge and other areas. More detached and 4-beds, for a start.

The only thing is the train station in Maynooth is handy, if that's a factor for you. And I'd have to admit that the range of restaurants in Maynooth (to return to the theme of thread!) is much better than nearly anywhere for 20 miles.

But how often do you go to restaurants? You live in your house every day :)

• Advertisement

True! We lived in Maynooth for 10 yrs and went to uni there too. We really wanted to find a family home there, but there is nothing on offer. Sure a quick taxi ride to maynooth for a night out wouldn't cost too much anyway!

ixus wrote: »
    There's a market right now. Should Intel or HP shut up shop or one fab, it would have a huge impact. Wasn't too long ago people had their pick of property to rent or buy. Planners and councils should not forget this when planning for the future.

Intel closing or part-closing (while extremely unlikely) would nuke the entire area - not just Maynooth. It would hit the dearer, bigger houses far harder though.

HP would have more lower paid staff due to the outsourced support centres they have.

Maynooth needs further housing at all sizes and scales. Should all the planned student accomodation come on stream there will be a large amount of older 3 and 4 bed terraced and semidetached houses freed up but not everyone wants to buy a renovation project.

Even if Intel or hp lost jobs, maynooth and other towns in The area are still great commuter towns. It's very accessible to dublin so I doubt many would need to move. The rental market might become less competitive and prices may dip for home owners but I don't think it would be a disaster out crash

On the thread topic, xtravision is shuttered now despite being a HMV co-branded branch. Actually was one of the older shops in the entire town.

Hmmm, wonder what will replace it. Hopefully it doesn't sit empty. That's a great little run of shops. Donovan's (now Londis) has everything and the butcher is excellent.

Planning was given for a sit in (no takeout, delivery might be allowed but can't remember) restaurant to be built beside it on the car parking there years ago so that plan might be resurrected and moved in as its a big enough unit now.

I'd also be quite happy with a pub but doubt the rest of the residents would! *hic*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You'll fond Donatello's would object to that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Planning was given for a sit in (no takeout, delivery might be allowed but can't remember) restaurant to be built beside it on the car parking there years ago so that plan might be resurrected and moved in as its a big enough unit now.

I'd also be quite happy with a pub but doubt the rest of the residents would! *hic*

As residents in the Kingsbry estate we've said a cafe of some sort would be great there, in one way it's the last thing the town needs really but at the same time it'd be great to be able to go for an auld panini without having to go into the town traffic. The time you spend sitting in the car to get max 2km into the town, you're literally better off walking sometimes.

Though I have to wonder how long Donovan's/Londis will be there now, it's interesting that they've gone back to being Londis now, I would imagine the new Maxol is taking a lot of their business, mine included.

One possibility is that with the recent and future retirements from medical card practice of a few GPs in the area that we could get another doctors surgery also. Located well and near a pharmacy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

As the insane prices people are paying for the shoeboxes in Hayfield shows. €255,506.60 ex VAT on the register :eek:

A neighbours near identical house with maybe 10k of improvements finally went Sold last week so I await that update with bated breath.

The one that recently sold went sold for the the 220k region and they completely gutted it.

I am not a fan of all the new housing estates but the one down by Tesco feels like it is practically on the main road.
    Maybe it will be a good thing for the town..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

lordgoat wrote: »
    Once I really would like to have bought here, but now the more built up and congested it gets, the appeal has almost died.

Houses are springing up like mushrooms. The ring road is as about as likely as Mantra being a successful business. And don't get me started on how poorly the town is run, a shambles for the last 10+ years. No forward planning, no foresight, awful communication to name a few.

Hang on does anyone need a traffic light? I'll do you a good deal...

yes and a yellow box junction but we were told no.

The Cool wrote: »
    As residents in the Kingsbry estate we've said a cafe of some sort would be great there, in one way it's the last thing the town needs really but at the same time it'd be great to be able to go for an auld panini without having to go into the town traffic. The time you spend sitting in the car to get max 2km into the town, you're literally better off walking sometimes.

Though I have to wonder how long Donovan's/Londis will be there now, it's interesting that they've gone back to being Londis now, I would imagine the new Maxol is taking a lot of their business, mine included.

On the new sign outside a Café is listed.
    Donovans does great business,there are always customers there and they have queues half of the time .
    Why Maxol? i am just wondering should I be going in there,what am I missing?

It also lists xtravision so I suspect they mean Donovans. Maxol has seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

On the new sign outside a Café is listed.
    Donovans does great business,there are always customers there and they have queues half of the time .
    Why Maxol? i am just wondering should I be going in there,what am I missing?

I'm rarely in Donovan's any more unless I need bread but I found Maxol to be cheaper and the service to be much more pleasant.

Maxol sells virtually nothing I want regular shop wise and either the deli staff take things far too literally or are extremely, extremely stingy (one sausage, one egg, one hash brown in an entire baguette - I had to convince myself I failed to emphasis plurals or something).

Donovans has nearly everything a normal supermarket has, just often only one choice of item and VERY expensive. However there's stuff you can't get in Tesco anymore since their product line reduction.

Maxol sells virtually nothing I want regular shop wise and either the deli staff take things far too literally or are extremely, extremely stingy (one sausage, one egg, one hash brown in an entire baguette - I had to convince myself I failed to emphasis plurals or something).

Donovans has nearly everything a normal supermarket has, just often only one choice of item and VERY expensive. However there's stuff you can't get in Tesco anymore since their product line reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Planning notice in the Champion this week for Buckley House. Looking to put in 117 units of student accommodation, and two restaurant /cafe units.

Planning notice in the Champion this week for Buckley House. Looking to put in 117 units of student accommodation, and two restaurant /cafe units.

Revision of two refused applications (14/352 and 14/700) for extension of 08/425 before when it was just student accom. Its not digitised - will be very interested to see this. I've also never read the refusal decision

We're actually relatively short on retail units here, even maybe cafe units if some peoples desires for diversity play out across the town.

edit: flood risk; so they must have put some alleviation in the new one also.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

The one that recently sold went sold for the the 220k region and they completely gutted it.

I am not a fan of all the new housing estates but the one down by Tesco feels like it is practically on the main road.
    Maybe it will be a good thing for the town..

We're in Clane at the moment and have discussed moving many times. It won't be for another few years and maynooth would have been our favourite but not now. I drive through today from tesco towards N4 and it's like a construction bomb was dropped so I think celbridge is back on the cards.

• Advertisement

It is actually only TWO housing estates, to be fair.

Advertisement