Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Rathkenny wrote: »
    Oh interesting. I'd use that. Perfect when you've kids in the car and want a hot drink and snack. I've used McDonald's many times just for a cup of tea but it would be good to have more of a cafe-style choice rather than McDonald's fast food.

I'd use it too. Every time I'm taking off up the country with kids, I fly into mcd's for a coffee but I always struggle to get something to eat. If someone could do croissants or fresh pastries I'd pick them over mcd's.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Phoned McMahons there to ask to use their upstairs room for a meeting. Apparently its now leased out long term. It has been a restaurant before so I wouldn't be surprised if we see that again.

L1011 wrote: »
    Phoned McMahons there to ask to use their upstairs room for a meeting. Apparently its now leased out long term. It has been a restaurant before so I wouldn't be surprised if we see that again.

Is to be a branch of this place: https://www.facebook.com/redtorchginger/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

It's reviewed in the latest Liffey Champion. Page 36 I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

Looking at the planning permission on KCC website it looks as if the drive throught coffee shop is going to be a Starbucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

Looking at the planning permission on KCC website it looks as if the drive throught coffee shop at Tesco is going to be a Starbucks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

fmc3105 wrote: »
    Looking at the planning permission on KCC website it looks as if the drive throught coffee shop at Tesco is going to be a Starbucks.

Ugh :( Their coffee is awful .

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Costa, O'Briens and Starbucks all on the same site!? I already almost use the Costa as a drive through!

fmc3105 wrote: »

I'll stick to McDonald's nice non over-priced coffee so.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Ugh :( Their coffee is awful .

100% agree. It's where people who don't actually like good coffee go. I rarely use them and when I do it is because I have almost no other choice available. Every time it do I am shocked as to how bad they can manage to make it. I just drink black coffee BTW so nothing to actually screw up other than the coffee itself.

• Advertisement

I used them for food when they opened near my old office as it was it or a crowded Spar - nothing else

Too many slices of reconstitued rubbery ham for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

SQ2 wrote: »
    Costa, O'Briens and Starbucks all on the same site!? I already almost use the Costa as a drive through!

There is a Costa ?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    There is a Costa ?

Think it's just a machine in tesco

Costa Express terminal in the Tesco petrol station.

Ah ok , that makes sense .

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Is to be a branch of this place: https://www.facebook.com/redtorchginger/

Dying for this to open. Been to the one in town a few times and the food is great. We really need a decent thai place without having to go all the way to Lucan!

Kathy22 wrote: »
    Dying for this to open. Been to the one in town a few times and the food is great. We really need a decent thai place without having to go all the way to Lucan!

It would be strange for a suburban area to have more than one Thai, but as they have a strong reputation I think they'll either co-exist or win any fight. My partner wanted to go to the city centre branch but we'll wait now.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

It would be strange for a suburban area to have more than one Thai, but as they have a strong reputation I think they'll either co-exist or win any fight. My partner wanted to go to the city centre branch but we'll wait now.

Agreed but their food is way above par to Lan Tania so my guess is they will win the fight. Checked their Facebook, opening in September with dine in only first and once established takeaway. Hopefully it's as well run as the city centre which always has a decent atmosphere.

Lan Tania's shared kitchen with the Indian - and Mexican briefly - doesn't inspire much confidence; but there is also some traction to being there first.

On the takeaway topic - has anyone ever used the "your personal chef" entry on justeat? I've seen the menu when it was 'open' during the day it was bafflingly complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I wouldn't consider lan tania a real Thai restaurant. It's mediocre at best. I make a better Thai red curry than them.

• Advertisement

yellow hen wrote:
    Think it's just a machine in tesco

Scratch that, Costa machine gone now!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Orion wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider lan tania a real Thai restaurant. It's mediocre at best. I make a better Thai red curry than them.

It's run by some guys who used to work in the lemongrass afaik.

I've been there and the food is mediocre. It's surprising that in Maynooth, where there's so much competitions for restaurants, that it's still going.

I went to the Indian in celbridge a while back and the food was lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

L1011 wrote:
    On the takeaway topic - has anyone ever used the "your personal chef" entry on justeat? I've seen the menu when it was 'open' during the day it was bafflingly complex.

Do you mean Tiffin? Or those paleo meal delivery places that are on just eat? If it's Tiffin, I ordered from them a good few times. Really lovely food. They've been offline on just eat for the past couple of months, which is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Grayson wrote: »
    I went to the Indian in celbridge a while back and the food was lovely.

Delhi Darbar I assume. The food there is lovely but I've stopped ordering from them for delivery as they screwed up my order too many times. Lovely place to eat in alright but I now get deliveries from Korma at Home in Dunboyne.

JeMeills on the main st has a lease agreed notice above it at last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Also, there's a Health Shop going in next to Maynooth Cabs behind The Roost where the empty unit was.

This place is a little healthy takeaway shop called 'Beetroot'. Soup, coffee, specials, and a range of organic produce to buy. Pretty sure everything they do is veggie friendly, no meat. I took a wander in during the week and had a lentil daahl from them, was absolutely delicious! Small niche place but in hope it does well :)

In the old funeral home? Interesting re-use!

Oh I would have checked it out had u known ,from the signs I thought it was an organic grocer or health food shop .

Planning has gone in to extend the shop in Moyglare (which I'm not sure is even open right now). The unit is rather small and with the continuing construction at Moyglare Hall and the schools to come I could see a larger unit surviving better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It's been closed a few months, and I think the planning was dropped for the units on Moyglare Hall, so it might be able to survive as a bigger unit.

Advertisement