Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I loved Ely when I worked beside it:) I am not sure it would work in Maynooth thogh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Is Imprinta Printers (Joe Wall) still in Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Is Imprinta Printers (Joe Wall) still in Maynooth?

Shop is gone but he's still working. imprintasales@gmail.com if you want to contact him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Chill started out well and has gone swiftly downhill. I now find it be managed very poorly with no organization among the serving staff. Food is little more than OK at this point. It's a shame really as there was/is a gap in the market for a great place to bring kids that serves good, reasonably priced food.

I was there at 10am on Saturday. There were 6 of us and 3 other guys at another table. Took 20 mins to even get my tea. Food was left sitting under the heater for 10 mins before being brought to our table. They could hardly claim to be run off their feet with 9 people in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Same experience here, the last few times we went in we've been left sitting at the table waiting to order for far too long, every time we've had to stop someone and ask them to take our order. Then there were delays in getting the food, incorrect orders, waiting an eternity to get a glass of water. Again, they weren't exactly run off their feet while we were there. It has been months since we were there too, it was consistently bad back then, a shame to hear it's gotten even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Sounds like basic training and execution of service not there. Think I was last in 3 years ago. Why bother when there are superior options in a wide range and close Location?

Shame, that location has so much potential. Am sure it's not cheap to run either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Abusing this threads function as an effective general Maynooth thread; but it does have some relevance

The Town Health Check meeting tonight seemed to be very productive, should KCC listen to it. Format was designed for smaller towns, intro video talks about "rural towns" and so on. Room was barely big enough for everyone that turned up.

The councillors who were trying to explain away the carpark proposal for the Harbour Field as a good thing may want to reconsider keeping their seats if they keep it up, based on the reaction there....

Seems everyone in the town wants the Zipyard to replace its shop front with something less, well, yellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Was sorry I couldn't make it. Had another engagement.

They obviously didn't expect such a turn out. Must have been +60.

The carpark in harbour thing is a bit ridiculous. Some councillors looked at it for access at a request from disabled and playground users. I know my missus wants it though didn't request. And it was only a temporary thing on hard-core already there. To be brought to a public consultation.

Anyway, it's clear nothing will happen there but looks like it will motivate a discussion to actually use it in a positive way as it is a heap of sh!te for as long as I can remember. (I think I played a GAA match on it 24 years ago and that was the last one any did)

A lot of decent comment but also what one would expect. Be interesting to see what actually happens.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ixus wrote: »
    They obviously didn't expect such a turn out. Must have been +60.

The carpark in harbour thing is a bit ridiculous. Some councillors looked at it for access at a request from disabled and playground users. I know my missus wants it though didn't request. And it was only a temporary thing on hard-core already there. To be brought to a public consultation.

Anyway, it's clear nothing will happen there but looks like it will motivate a discussion to actually use it in a positive way as it is a heap of sh!te for as long as I can remember. (I think I played a GAA match on it 24 years ago and that was the last one any did)

A lot of decent comment but also what one would expect. Be interesting to see what actually happens.

The last thing I remember the harbour pitch being used for was a 6 aside comp during the town festival about 10 years ago at least. It just sits idle for most of the year. I'm amazed someone hasn't tried to put apartments or traffic lights on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

they could put a public swimming pool there.

:pac: :pac: :pac: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

L1011 wrote: »
    The councillors who were trying to explain away the carpark proposal for the Harbour Field as a good thing may want to reconsider keeping their seats if they keep it up, based on the reaction there....

Yes indeed... What this town needs is MORE CARS !! :pac::pac::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

L1011 wrote: »

Seems everyone in the town wants the Zipyard to replace its shop front with something less, well, yellow.

Thats ridiculous. I dont have a problem with black and yellow. Some of the beauty salons are a bit too pink, Inkjetworld was a bit too green, Pizzadog is too black, the Elite too pink and the auto factors too red.

And they were all raised as issues. It's about context of discussion. How to improve features. Take for example how the Chocolate Bar and the Avenue have set with the time of the town.

Book the 7th of June for 8pm and attend the next meeting to contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

ixus wrote: »
    And they were all raised as issues. It's about context of discussion. How to improve features. Take for example how the Chocolate Bar and the Avenue have set with the time of the town.

Book the 7th of June for 8pm and attend the next meeting to contribute.

TBH I'm not that bothered to attend that meeting, I just thought it unfair that one business I use was mentioned.

In the past few minutes I have searched shopfont designs and found KCCs guidelines and agree with ' Retailers have sought to dominate the
    streetscape with over-scaled fascias, garish colours and over use of
    signage. Similarly, the plethora of inappropriately detailed reproduction
    frontages did a disservice to the genuine historic shopfronts
    ,'

These are only guidelines and there seems to be more than one shopfront that breaches these nonmandetory recommendations;

The depth of the fascia should be in proportion to the rest of the shopfront and relate to
    the entire building.

 The use of large areas of acrylic or other shiny materials in fascias should be avoided.
    On a nineteenth century buildings a painted timber fascia is the most appropriate solution
    with either painted lettering or individual letters of another material.
     Highly reflective signage on fascias should be avoided. Exceptions may be made where Victorian painted glass fascias are being restored or faithfully copied. The most legible signs typically comprise simple lettering and good contrast.

It wasn't the only one mentioned - people complaining about the fast food outlets signage isn't news as people have been complaining about them for as long as I've been able to read (Newsletter, Champion etc)

Of the non fast food outlets, Zipyard's frontage is particularly nasty but we've had much worse (albeit fast food - Mama Mias if anyone remembers them)

Remember that Maynooth isn't a 19th century main street - its 18th century. Many of the buildings only retain their chimney stacks admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

lordgoat wrote: »
    The last thing I remember the harbour pitch being used for was a 6 aside comp during the town festival about 10 years ago at least. It just sits idle for most of the year. I'm amazed someone hasn't tried to put apartments or traffic lights on it.

Plus carnivals and circuses.

Putting in a car park would be a disgrace. It's not just that the place needs less cars it's also a terrible waste of an area the could be a great public amenity.

Even just putting a picnic/bbq area would be a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Grayson wrote: »
    Plus carnivals and circuses.

Putting in a car park would be a disgrace. It's not just that the place needs less cars it's also a terrible waste of an area the could be a great public amenity.

Even just putting a picnic/bbq area would be a great start.

I'd love a picnic and BBQ area, but we can't have nice things in this country, a few picnic benches would be ideal

I'd encourage you Go on the 7th of June and contribute. I found it a reasonably positive experience. It's not all nay sayers.

Can't make the 7th as I'll be in Portugal. Trying to press-gang a friend who missed the original in to going in my place :pac:

The suggestions of what to do with the Harbour Field that do not involve a carpark were manyfold, sensible and workable. The existing hard standing section - used to be basketball courts - could easily take a food truck or two on good weekends, there is passing traffic with the Greenway that is only going to grow; the new fire brigade access road really opens up the entire space to the town.

The Thai at Greenfield got its planning from ABP about two weeks ago with 'revised conditions' and yet KCCs planning website hasn't updated at all for it. All docs go back to the council for uploading rather than being on ABPs site so I can't see what they are.

I'd prefer anything to the hoardings there now and a decent restaurant would be a nice addition this end of the town but the initial objections were on valid grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I think that harbour field is crying out for some simple landscaping with seating. The amount of people who walk through that area daily and who would be happy to sit and watch kids play or eat lunch or have a coffee, surely it's a no brainer??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yellow hen wrote: »
    I think that harbour field is crying out for some simple landscaping with seating. The amount of people who walk through that area daily and who would be happy to sit and watch kids play or eat lunch or have a coffee, surely it's a no brainer??

there's some benches there now, along the new path. could do with a few more though.

as for the field itself, I was told that Carton actually own it, but it's leased to KCC on the proviso that it is used for public amenities. anyone know if that is the case?

The Harbour Field was transferred to the council for a consideration (minute fraction of its value if it was zoned commercial/residential) ages ago; but with covenants preventing non amenity use. KCC own it entirely.

It had remained owned by the Nall-Cain's even after Carton itself was sold but was already effectively given over to the town. I believe that Carton Avenue may still be under that same old setup - theoretically owned by the Nall Cains but under KCC control and protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

It's probably more profitable to KCC to have something that generates revenue a shame really as a developed green space would be such an asset to the locality.

If there is one thing that should go, it's the ICA women's shed thing. It's an eyesore. The land where it's situated is owned by them which makes things very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

TonyStark wrote: »
    It's probably more profitable to KCC to have something that generates revenue a shame really as a developed green space would be such an asset to the locality.

If there is one thing that should go, it's the ICA women's shed thing. It's an eyesore. The land where it's situated is owned by them which makes things very difficult.

Was just thinking that as I passed it on Sunday. Shame really as I'm sure he ladies have made the most of the ugliness that it is. Do the scouts own the neighbouring hall? Could the ICA not rent from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The field will be right alongside the canal path/cycle way when it is completed.

This will link into the city with Mullingar and Galway (eventually).

Its a fine amenity with a good number of people up and down it already, and it will have a lot of walking/cycle traffic when finished I think.

Could the ICA not rent from them?

The ICA will not accept anything other than ownership I'd imagine

The existing hall is going to fall down sooner or later.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Any craic around on Sunday with the 2 road races?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Was just thinking that as I passed it on Sunday. Shame really as I'm sure he ladies have made the most of the ugliness that it is. Do the scouts own the neighbouring hall? Could the ICA not rent from them?

The Scouts do own their den and it is rented out to various organisations for classes etc

• Advertisement

DO the ICA own the land around it or just the small bit where their shed is?

Advertisement