Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

L1011 wrote: »
    Guarantee that's a typo for 3.5k or 35k/year. Looking at the lease register most larger units in the town centre are under 2k a month and a restaurant licence + fitout are not worth 360k a year!

3.5k is pretty rich, that's what city centre restaurants were renting for a year or two ago. 1k/week was the norm for a pub with a full pub licence.

Agree but maybe trying to recoup fitout?

I haven't tried the place but the food looks of a select taste. In respect to having a decent turnover with the local competition.

Presentation gives the sense of a rare occasion place where I feel I could walk into any other spot at short notice. Table available of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

In Maynooth right now the only option is MaMs as Taj is irregularly open (and only for takeaway at that - trying to hire waiting staff). MaMs is OK. Taj once sent me a "mild" dish (can't remember what) that was the hottest dish I have ever eaten and actually led to a nosebleed due to how much my nose started running...

Delhi Darbar (Celbridge, its a common name) deliver to Maynooth and while they're not as good as they were they are vastly better than anyone else locally.

Haven't had Darbar since the kitchen burned down. I wonder is that the difference?

When that happened, I got the one from Lucan and it was better. Maybe 2yrs ago now

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ixus wrote: »
    Haven't had Darbar since the kitchen burned down. I wonder is that the difference?

When that happened, I got the one from Lucan and it was better. Maybe 2yrs ago now

The fire was in the pub downstairs; they only had smoke damage and possibly only to the dining room (they reopened for delivery only very quickly).

The quality has been variable for maybe 3 years; I suspect there has been significant changes in the chefs/cooks.

I usually buy vegeterian dishes from them (not actually vegeterian, just not a huge fan of chicken and they don't do beef - Hindu owners I presume) and found that the paneer from Lucan was not as good.
    ixus wrote: »
    Agree but maybe trying to recoup fitout?

I haven't tried the place but the food looks of a select taste. In respect to having a decent turnover with the local competition.

Presentation gives the sense of a rare occasion place where I feel I could walk into any other spot at short notice. Table available of course.

The 250k key money would more than recoup fitout.

Not in the industry but have mates who are and also have Daft alerts on the category including restaurants (see sig for why!) and there is nothing renting for 35k/month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

jjdonegal wrote:
    Hey; sorry if wrong thread but a search not getting me the info I need! Is there a decent Indian Takeaway in Maynooth now and if so which one is best!

Bengali Kitchen in Leixlip was the best after Delhi Dharbar went on fire IMHO.

But they seem have 'closed for renovation' and not reopened.

Not a fan of Taj and not sure about MaMs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

MaMs is good, as are Dehli Darbar in Celbridge and Korma At Home in Dunboyne.
    Taj isn't great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The Bombay Bistro in Clane delivers to Maynooth
    In Maynooth right now the only option is MaMs as Taj is irregularly open (and only for takeaway at that - trying to hire waiting staff). MaMs is OK. Taj once sent me a "mild" dish (can't remember what) that was the hottest dish I have ever eaten and actually led to a nosebleed due to how much my nose started running...

Delhi Darbar (Celbridge, its a common name) deliver to Maynooth and while they're not as good as they were they are vastly better than anyone else locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

MaMs is good, as are Dehli Darbar in Celbridge and Korma At Home in Dunboyne. Taj isn't great.

Yep, like Korma too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Korma at home in Dunboyne is by far the best and they deliver to Maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

We've only had Mam's once and it was nice. Bumbai tandoori in Leixlip have been reliably great for years too. Taj are terrible, we ordered on an app where it said rice was included with mains. It took 1.5 hours to arrive and had no rice. When we rang, they were adamant that rice was never included but said they'd check the app and send some out if it was wrong. Needless to say nothing arrived :mad: We were hangry enough at that stage as it is!

Should probably point out that wile La Brasserie is up for rent it is actually still open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

MaMs is good, as are Dehli Darbar in Celbridge and Korma At Home in Dunboyne.
    Taj isn't great.

I always use Korma at Home. Food is delicious. Got Delhi Darbar a few days ago for the first time in ages and it wasn't half as tasty as Korma at Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Delhi Darbar in Celbridge was my 2nd home for a while, but the waiting staff seemed to forget you once you get your food, it was a struggle to catch someone to order another drink, or to try ask for the bill
    Kasturi in Lucan is excellent, so tasty! Very consistant food, and waiting staff know what they're at although their onion bajhi aren't as good as DD.
    MaM is decent enough in a pretty strange setting, Taj too inconsistant, Korma at home is decent, Bombay Bistro is pretty good too.

Taj once sent me a "mild" dish that was the hottest dish I have ever eaten and actually led to a nosebleed due to how much my nose started running...
    Bloody hell. Good thing you didn't order something spicy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Why are Brady's allowed to appropriate the main square for their collection of undesirables?

My goodness. What and ignorant post. I thought it was fantastic actually. It really gives you an option for drink after walk and to be able to sit in the square is great. Reminded me of being abroad actually.

My goodness. What and ignorant post. I thought it was fantastic actually. It really gives you an option for drink after walk and to be able to sit in the square is great. Reminded me of being abroad actually.
    Remind me not to go abroad with you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

No need for personal stuff. If you've nothing useful to post in this thread defrain from posting

The new signage for Maximus is up. It's .... Maximus Grill.

Interested to see what it's going to be - same chipper with seating or a proper grill type bistro. With another burger joint opening down the road we'll see who's better.

It seems to just be a chipper

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Does any cafe or restaurant have a bowl out for a dog to drink from? Walked out Carton way yesterday, did a bit of the golf course too. Turned around, and headed to the playground. Poor pooch was parched.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

beertons wrote: »
    Does any cafe or restaurant have a bowl out for a dog to drink from? Walked out Carton way yesterday, did a bit of the golf course too. Turned around, and headed to the playground. Poor pooch was parched.

https://www.equipetstores.com/dog-on-tour-drink-bottle-500ml.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8qHP8Pfa3AIVT7ftCh0cpg5zEAQYBSABEgLlo_D_BwE

I know MaxiZoo have bowls outside, no idea on cafes... doubtful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

I think I saw a dog bowl outside the cafe beside Three Pin Electrical (The Brewery?)

I think most places would give you a bowl if you were buying from them anyway. Alternatively, do what the rest of us do and buy a bottle of water to pour into your cupped hand for the dog to drink directly from your hand. Pain in the ass, but it's better than leaving the dog parched!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

You can just but a fabric bowl that'll fold into your pocket and buy/ request water

There is a planning notice up on the former Homeworld to change to bank / building society use. Which the former building there actually was

Now, we have the full set of banks in town already so unless it's an EBS (they do sometimes open them near existing AIB branches for some reason) I can't see who else it could be. Applicant is the McMahons not a bank

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

There is a planning notice up on the former Homeworld to change to bank / building society use. Which the former building there actually was

Now, we have the full set of banks in town already so unless it's an EBS (they do sometimes open them near existing AIB branches for some reason) I can't see who else it could be. Applicant is the McMahons not a bank

Is that the place on the main street beside Ulster Bank? Unless UB are looking to take it over and expand. Unlikely I guess given their branch closures but odd to see branches from any banks opening these days.

It is.

KBC are still opening branches at a decent rate but we already have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic around maynooth? Have never had car serviced here and it's getting more difficult to get to our old mechanic now.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good mechanic around maynooth? Have never had car serviced here and it's getting more difficult to get to our old mechanic now.

Ray Leavy in Old Greenfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Orion wrote: »
    Ray Leavy in Old Greenfield.

Thanks orion. Is that the fella in on the right as you turn into old greenfield?

Advertisement