Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wont be that much of a saving............

Depends what you're buying; certain things are quite significantly cheaper there. Lots of stuff is already available in Euro2 but not everything

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Iceland are opening within The Range. Seems a bit of a bizarre set-up for them. But at least we don't have to drive to Ballyfermot anymoreðŸ˜႒

Any time frame for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Any time frame for this?

I heard January and that it would be over towards the cafe. Possibly replacing the cafe but not confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

good to see another traffic lights being added to the straffon road..

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

I'm afraid KCC haven't heard of roundabouts yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

shanec1928 wrote: »
    good to see another traffic lights being added to the straffon road..
    I think the plan to make the town grind completely to halt is well underway and in an advanced state.  Probably another project to review the layout and then install roundabouts.

To install a roundabout large enough to not be an obstruction there would require demolishing Circle K and houses in Kingsbry and Carton Court. Button roundabouts are worse - massively worse - than traffic lights with the amount of traffic on that road.

The one at Tesco only barely works with the traffic there which is a fraction of that at Hayfield. And even it wouldn't fit without removing road access to the last house in Carton Court anyway! You'd be looking at minimum 2x that diameter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

It's cool guys, there's a plan, first you stop the traffic, then you build the ring road, then you put ribbon development around the ring road, and repeat.

It's quite simple to fix, vote in people who care about the town. Christmas is coming, Celbridge and Leixlip will be getting their allowance for Christmas lights, and fair play they look great. In Maynooth we get the businesses and public collections to pay for it. Garda station, put it in Leixlip, new health centre in Celbridge. Sure Maynooth will be grand, nobody cares about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Its a sham what they are doing on the straffan road. I think if you are coming from that side of the town now (carton court,kingsbry) it will be quicker to go to tesco and aldi in Celbridge.

And then they wait until September to do it. Fxxking genius idea.

Since the set of lights at the Castletown Inn, that side of Celbridge is very slow to get to too. I do shop in that Aldi as I foind the staff in Maynooth very rude in comparison; it also doesn't sell out of specials as much

• Advertisement

Its a sham what they are doing on the straffan road. I think if you are coming from that side of the town now (carton court,kingsbry) it will be quicker to go to tesco and aldi in Celbridge.

And then they wait until September to do it. Fxxking genius idea.

Well the lights were to be finished in August, they just weren't.

Can't see that construction firm getting many contracts in future.

L1011 wrote: »
    Can't see that construction firm getting many contracts in future.

Can't see how they couldn't with a fair procurement process.

Staplor wrote: »
    Can't see how they couldn't with a fair procurement process.

Poor delivery of a previous contract is sufficient to exclude someone entirely

Well the lights were to be finished in August, they just weren't.

Yeh. Thats really not good enough though. Going to drag into October now. Traffic is chronic enough without this nonsense. Whoever decided to put lights there in the first place needs there head examined.

L1011 wrote: »
    Poor delivery of a previous contract is sufficient to exclude someone entirely

Which would surely be challenged.

Yeh. Thats really not good enough though. Going to drag into October now. Traffic is chronic enough without this nonsense. Whoever decided to put lights there in the first place needs there head examined.

Condition of Hayfield planning, lights to be in place before any house occupied.

Condition of Hayfield planning, lights to be in place before any house occupied.

The crowd contracted to do it have made a mess of the install. The responsibility of this lies with them and the cc. The town when schools started back and students back has taken 30 mins to get from M4 to Moyglare.

The contractors should have begun this work at the start of June and had it well finished for September. But that wont happen with 5 lads and a woman staring blankly into a hole for hours on end.

The crowd contracted to do it have made a mess of the install. The responsibility of this lies with them and the cc. The town when schools started back and students back has taken 30 mins to get from M4 to Moyglare.

The contractors should have begun this work at the start of June and had it well finished for September. But that wont happen with 5 lads and a woman staring blankly into a hole for hours on end.

This town has to be the joke of Kildare, I can't think of one thing the council or government is in charge of that we can say is the best in Kildare or even North Kildare. With the exception of a university that locals do not have the use of.

This town has to be the joke of Kildare, I can't think of one thing the council or government is in charge of that we can say is the best in Kildare or even North Kildare.

Yep agree. Look at the state of the new school also. Nothing to do with the council but its a sham. It might never open.

• Advertisement

Which would surely be challenged.

If they were stupid enough to try that they'd be saying goodbye to legal fees for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

This town has to be the joke of Kildare, I can't think of one thing the council or government is in charge of that we can say is the best in Kildare or even North Kildare. With the exception of a university that locals do not have the use of.
    Wasn't aware that NUI Maynooth was closed to locals.

Wasn't aware that NUI Maynooth was closed to locals.

It's not closed to locals, but if I wanted somewhere for a walk I'd go to Castletown which is far better. Point is the college is the only thing we've got, which is basically a throw back to the church.

It's not closed to locals, but if I wanted somewhere for a walk I'd go to Castletown which is far better. Point is the college is the only thing we've got, which is basically a throw back to the church.
    You can make your own choices but NUI Maynooth is not closed to locals and Castletown is a ridiculous throwback to the gentry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

You can make your own choices but NUI Maynooth is not closed to locals and Castletown is a ridiculous throwback to the gentry.

:confused:

It's history has very little to do with the great amenity it is for thousands of people (walking, running, cycling etc..) every week.

mloc123 wrote: »
    :confused:

It's history has very little to do with the great amenity it is for thousands of people (walking, running, cycling etc..) every week.

Would still be a great amenity if they closed the house.

Would still be a great amenity if they closed the house.

yes... I think when people say "Castletown" they mean the grounds tho. Has any local ever gone for a tour of the house? :)

Edit: I missed the part of the post you replied to about NUIM being a throwback to the church.

Castletown is great!

Castletown is great!

It is. So is Carton, Catherines Park, The royal canal and the grand canal...

I think sometimes we do not realise how many open recreation spaces we have available on our doorstep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

This town has to be the joke of Kildare.

Ok so Celbridge has Castletown but it also has worse public transport then Maynooth, worse Tesco, traffic can be almost as bad,worse for a night out [granted that's my opinion] and worse shopping.
    Leixlip is much the same with the exception of public transport.

I think it's a case of the grass being greener

If im going shopping i go to Maynooth unless its to Lidl/Aldi
    When i used public transport i drove to Maynooth for the train/bus
    If i was going out for a meal/night out it would again be Maynooth or possibly Leixlip

Advertisement