Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Ok so Celbridge has Castletown but it also has worse public transport then Maynooth, worse Tesco, traffic can be almost as bad,worse for a night out [granted that's my opinion] and worse shopping.
    Leixlip is much the same with the exception of public transport.

I think it's a case of the grass being greener

If im going shopping i go to Maynooth unless its to Lidl/Aldi
    When i used public transport i drove to Maynooth for the train/bus
    If i was going out for a meal/night out it would again be Maynooth or possibly Leixlip

Yeah Maynooth has a good Tesco, and good restaurants, I love living here, it's in terms of public facilities it is severely lacking. I don't see any bang for buck in terms of what I pay in LPT, nor what the businesses pay in rates - compared to other towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

what would you like/expect?
    I mean that in a non-confrontational way BTW, I'm interested in what could be improved from a facilities point-of-view. I'm not really sure what other towns of ~15,000 have that Maynooth doesn't?

The only thing I can think of which people have asked for is a public pool. Is that something that many towns of 15,000 have?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Recycling centre (full facility, not just bottle bins). There is one proposed for Celbridge; its about two decades late though.

Library opening hours are really very poor. Library facilities are behind other towns of similar size - what is provided was extremely good when the library was new but when you consider that Naas, a newer facility, is already going to be replaced it really needs investment.

Public realm maintenance is entirely sub-par. There is basic street sweeping in the town centre and bin emptying and that's about it. Grafitti removal, repairs to damaged street furniture etc are near non-existent. The street sweeping took significant political effort to even get!

We were promised a regional council office about twenty years ago but as services have moved online (motor tax) or been privatised (domestic bins) I'm not sure there's any point now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

what would you like/expect?
    I mean that in a non-confrontational way BTW, I'm interested in what could be improved from a facilities point-of-view. I'm not really sure what other towns of ~15,000 have that Maynooth doesn't?

The only thing I can think of which people have asked for is a public pool. Is that something that many towns of 15,000 have?

More police for one thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Staplor wrote: »
    Condition of Hayfield planning, lights to be in place before any house occupied.

Anyone know how it will all look when finished?

It looks like there will be no footpath on the Hayfield side - just a very narrow strip of concrete. Is there going to be a left turning lane onto the Meadowbrook Link Road or will it be a cycle path? It's hard to tell at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I'd say Maynooth is one of the best small/medium sized towns in the country in terms of amenities and available services. Its got the university grounds, Carton House and a nice stretch of canal in terms of public amenities (how many small towns can compete with that?) as well as Castletown, Catherines Park, K Club, Donadea Forest and several others within a short drive. There's frequent train and bus services, the Main Street has a good selection of bars and restaurants, it has the biggest Tesco in the country, university means the town is always lively, lots of nearby employment etc. etc.

Certainly areas that could be improved but on the whole it's definitely one of the better towns in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The crowd contracted to do it have made a mess of the install. The responsibility of this lies with them and the cc. The town when schools started back and students back has taken 30 mins to get from M4 to Moyglare.

The contractors should have begun this work at the start of June and had it well finished for September. But that wont happen with 5 lads and a woman staring blankly into a hole for hours on end.

Mcginley said on Facebook that the council accepted their excuses for the delay. But no details about what their excuses were. Seriously - I could put in traffic lights quicker and I can just about wire a plug.

Yep agree. Look at the state of the new school also. Nothing to do with the council but its a sham. It might never open.

It will open. The first tender was invalid - that was all down to the ETB and the report on their governance was damning. The second one was well on the way to completion and then they went bust. That's not KCC or the ETB fault.

That said it was originally supposed to open in 2015. My kids were supposed to start secondary in the new buildings. They are now in TY!

mloc123 wrote: »
    It is. So is Carton, Catherines Park, The royal canal and the grand canal...

I think sometimes we do not realise how many open recreation spaces we have available on our doorstep.

And how long before they destroy them like they have started to do with Carton Avenue last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Orion wrote: »
    And how long before they destroy them like they have started to do with Carton Avenue last week.

What are they doing with Carton Avenue ? I haven't walked it in a good few weeks.

• Advertisement

Pedestrian and cycle entrance in to one of the new estates, built to a rather aggressive scale

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

L1011 wrote: »
    Pedestrian and cycle entrance in to one of the new estates, built to a rather aggressive scale

Entrance to the estate from the avenue?

Entrance to the estate from the avenue?

Yes. Which I think did get planning permission but was almost definitely not meant to be as huge as it is if it did.

L1011 wrote: »
    Yes. Which I think did get planning permission but was almost definitely not meant to be as huge as it is if it did.

Must detour by it this week for a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

It will open. The first tender was invalid - that was all down to the ETB and the report on their governance was damning. The second one was well on the way to completion and then they went bust. That's not KCC or the ETB fault.

That said it was originally supposed to open in 2015. My kids were supposed to start secondary in the new buildings. They are now in TY!

Cant see it opening in the next 5 years tbh.

Must detour by it this week for a look

462814.jpg

Cant see it opening in the next 5 years tbh.

Maybe not 5 years. But I can see my kids doing their LC in the current location - and that's 2021.

462814.jpg

This doesn't look to bad to me? Width matches the main pathway. If they did not put it in people would have trampled through the hedge anyway and made an opening.

It's absolutely outrageous and totally out of keeping with the Avenue. There was no need for this whatsoever. The Avenue dates back to 1750 - this is cultural vandalism.

This doesn't look to bad to me? Width matches the main pathway. If they did not put it in people would have trampled through the hedge anyway and made an opening.

The two curved bits may be the same width (each) but the combined path and hole in the fence is much wider

• Advertisement

The hole is 4.05 metres wide. The path is 2.2. So nearly twice the width.

Measurements taken by an Ordnance Survey cartographer hence the specific measurements.

462825.PNG

It's absolutely outrageous and totally out of keeping with the Avenue. There was no need for this whatsoever. The Avenue dates back to 1750 - this is cultural vandalism.

I don't know... It is not like they have built a Starbucks on it. They have made a new entrance so people can use it.

The avenue has change considerably since 1750. Much like castletown grounds (gravel walkways, tarmac avenue, reshaping the lake). But these changes are to allow people to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

The hole is 4.05 metres wide. The path is 2.2. So nearly twice the width.

Might young people be inclined to sit on the walls sometimes and effectively narrow the gap a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

it doesn't look great, should have just been one single 2m wide path/entrance, no need for having it so wide or splitting it into two, something a lot more discreet would have been fine IMO.

from the way some people are going on though (the usual hysterical posters on the Past - Present - Future facebook group mostly), you'd swear they'd built a Starbucks and a dumping site on it.
    e: mloc123 :pac:

got to laugh at the councillors tripping over themselves to say that they were opposed to it, based on bringing it up once at a meeting 3 years ago and then seemingly never mentioning anything about it again until now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

How did they get planning permission for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Best doughnuts in Maynooth? I've been sucked into the Krispy Kreme hype but won't be driving all the way to Blanch to get them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

Best doughnuts in Maynooth? I've been sucked into the Krispy Kreme hype but won't be driving all the way to Blanch to get them :pac:

Pffft don't bother with donuts.

What you want is one of the almond pastries from L'art du Chocolat. Heaven.

(Not sure anywhere in Maynooth does donuts... Donovan's have started selling some but no idea what they're like. Liffey valley too far? Rolling Donut is there.)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Quick question, can anyone tell me what maynooth train station carpark is like these days? Looking to get parking about 6.45am?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

ChewChew wrote: »
    Quick question, can anyone tell me what maynooth train station carpark is like these days? Looking to get parking about 6.45am?

It'll be grand at that time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The crowd contracted to do it have made a mess of the install. The responsibility of this lies with them and the cc. The town when schools started back and students back has taken 30 mins to get from M4 to Moyglare.

The contractors should have begun this work at the start of June and had it well finished for September. But that wont happen with 5 lads and a woman staring blankly into a hole for hours on end.
    Looks like the works have been abandoned. Nothing happened in the last 2weeks..

Advertisement