Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

L1011 wrote: »
    Food was fine but very traditionally Thai, not european adapted

That's a good thing imo. The more authentic the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Was in Kin Khao just before Christmas. Definitely different, and would go back there much faster than I would to Red Torch (which is grand but very safe). Great chicken from the charcoal, red beef cheek curry, Thai sausage, Pad Thai. Some of the sauces/spices were seriously spicy! There were some first week jitters but they were very friendly.

Did takeaway this evening which is more like what you'd get at Red Torch etc.

I do live very nearby so its a hell of a lot quicker to order by phone and grab when passing than any other takeaway options. Well, everything except chips. I can actually cook my own food, honest :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyone know whats happened with new lights on the straffan road?
    Most of yesterday the traffic was backed up past maxol heading towards the n4?
    Has the disaster that some people predicted happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

Have done both too, a meal in the restaurant on New Years Eve which was lovely and then a takeaway last week. Very dissapointed in takeaway. Like the L1011 said it was more your bog standard thai takeaway. My husband had a beef dish and the beef was tough as if it had been stewed. My pad thai was cold. 19 year old daughter's was about the best of the 3. She had a massaman curry. Would be more inclined to go back to Mango Tree in Lucan for my takeaway.

Ely advertising for staff - going in directly opposite The Avenue, more retail based than the other Ely branches. Should give some of the more bleh food options here a required kick up the hole anyway.

I can only assume at this stage that one of Donnybrook Fair or Fallon & Byrne would be here if there was units for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hi, can anyone recommend a local accountant in Maynooth? Not a huge job but I have been let down a few times so just want someone reliable. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone recommend a local accountant in Maynooth? Not a huge job but I have been let down a few times so just want someone reliable. thanks.

Hi Yellowhen, I have used Enda Lewis (2 Leinster Lodge, Dublin Road, Maynooth) in the past and found them good to deal with. Only simple stuff so can't say how good they would be on more complicated stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The shop that's in the Mexx unit in Manor Mills is having a closing down sale.

• Advertisement

Houstons. They were the Mexx franchiser so its actually the same shop, albeit with a VERY different product range over time, that's been there since day one. Was Mexx Kids originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

Ely advertising for staff - going in directly opposite The Avenue, more retail based than the other Ely branches. Should give some of the more bleh food options here a required kick up the hole anyway.

I can only assume at this stage that one of Donnybrook Fair or Fallon & Byrne would be here if there was units for them

I love Ely near Connolly Station ( eh well ok IFSC) Dining downstairs feels about as posh as possible in Dublin .Surely only Illuminatti members get inside that 'glass room' ! :-) Anyway Maynooth culinary dominance continues ...

Louis Fitzgerald has bought The Duke & Coachmen, kept very quiet. Had heard rumours but the dance licence was renewed this week and it confirms the change in ownership.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out - The Roost main section is very busy on weekends but the costs of a second DJ and extra bar staff seems to have kept the music bar shut except for student nights. The Duke downstairs is empty the majority of the time but the club can be quite busy. They may make more of an effort to split demographics now they've two huge venues.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Louis Fitzgerald has bought The Duke & Coachmen, kept very quiet. Had heard rumours but the dance licence was renewed this week and it confirms the change in ownership.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out - The Roost main section is very busy on weekends but the costs of a second DJ and extra bar staff seems to have kept the music bar shut except for student nights. The Duke downstairs is empty the majority of the time but the club can be quite busy. They may make more of an effort to split demographics now they've two huge venues.

Didn't think that was true, but interesting to see what he does...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Lease only i think. Only ones to ever make money out of it are the owners.

Primed for a guesthouse/boutique hotel with decent restaurant and bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alkham

ixus wrote: »
    Lease only i think. Only ones to ever make money out of it are the owners.

Primed for a guesthouse/boutique hotel with decent restaurant and bar.
    He has bought it to the best of my knowledge. Probably scared Wetherspoons might grab it they would clean up.....Pints for €3.50..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

+1

Always thought that was the perfect location for Wetherspoons.

No idea whether he's bought out Martin Brady (or whoever owned the building) or just the lease; but Louis usually owns outright and I doubt he's short of cash after some of the recent offloads.

It was a hotel originally and would make sense to return to same now, considering its proximity to transport to the city and the new standard of not needing car parking for a non-conference/wedding hotel. However I always assumed his car park site on Leinster Street was chalked down for a hotel.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Heard there's a problem with the roof in the Roost, he'll close to fix it and probably do it up.

beertons wrote: »
    Heard there's a problem with the roof in the Roost, he'll close to fix it and probably do it up.

Did you see how disrupted the place was while still open during either of the two previous big refurbs? Closing it would be a nuclear option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Did you see how disrupted the place was while still open during either of the two previous big refurbs? Closing it would be a nuclear option.

I hope they leave the Bar alone, it would be a travesty to change it.

Colking wrote: »
    I hope they leave the Bar alone, it would be a travesty to change it.

I believe the floor (which is from a shop there before the bar was in the corner) is listed so they can't do much at all to it. It has survived two full refits so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Is it on fire?!

"The Roost, The Roost, The Roost is on Fire!"

L.A. days...

Looks like fitout has started in the former Homeworld unit, which may or may not becoming an EBS (planning went in again after EBS was approved)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Looks like fitout has started in the former Homeworld unit, which may or may not becoming an EBS (planning went in again after EBS was approved)

Where is that unit?

yellow hen wrote: »
    Where is that unit?

Directly opposite the Straffan Road on the Main Street, beside Ulster Bank. Used to be Bartons Shell station and the Irish Permanent after that for those of us around since antiquity.

No idea whether he's bought out Martin Brady (or whoever owned the building) or just the lease; but Louis usually owns outright and I doubt he's short of cash after some of the recent offloads.

It was a hotel originally and would make sense to return to same now, considering its proximity to transport to the city and the new standard of not needing car parking for a non-conference/wedding hotel. However I always assumed his car park site on Leinster Street was chalked down for a hotel.

I heard possibility of student accommodation. It's a lease with an option to buy in 2 years as far as I know.

Can't see that getting planning permission

It might. It's as likely as getting planning for a hotel.

• Advertisement

Considering the building was a hotel until 1996 or so (albeit a very, very, very bad one!) that would be far more likely to be granted.

Advertisement