Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Hearing Chill/Grub in Manor Mills is gone. Food saturation point reached in Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

SQ2 wrote: »
    Hearing Chill/Grub in Manor Mills is gone. Food saturation point reached in Maynooth?

The quality of the food in there really deteriorated over the years. I used to eat there a lot about 4 years ago but wouldn't have considered going there at all in the last year or so due to the poor quality and service. I think a decent family restaurant would do well there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We ate there only last Saturday. Have to agree the food quality dropped a lot which was a pity. They were super buggy friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

We ate there only last Saturday. Have to agree the food quality dropped a lot which was a pity. They were super buggy friendly

I agree about being buggy friendly. The only option in town really for me 3-4 years ago but it was a good option. Now there's Shoda as an alternative (pricey though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Don't think that's the reason. Another restaurant will go in there I'm sure. Problem with Chill was the quality of the food and service. People just stopped going there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Never noticed the buggypocalypse in Chill to the same extent as in Shoda. Shoda some mornings seems to basically have every new mother in North Kildare in it!

Not a shop, but as this has turned in to the general Maynooth thread... new primary school patronage has gone to the non-denominational Gaelscoil group (An Foras Pátrúnachta) - the existing Gaelscoil is a Catholic school and I believe significantly oversubscribed.

They are also going to co-run the second level Gaelscoil with the ETB whenever a location is found for it - its meant to be opening in September!

AFP coincidentally are actually based in Maynooth but never had a school here before.

Don't mean to nitpick but the schools are multi-denominational not non-denominational. It's part of the problem with religion being a core part of the primary school syllabus.

Can't wait now for Naoise to claim credit as part of his MEP gambit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Orion wrote: »
    Don't think that's the reason. Another restaurant will go in there I'm sure. Problem with Chill was the quality of the food and service. People just stopped going there.
    the signs were on the wall for a long time. they had no card machine for near a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alkham

Just a quick update.
    Went to the new Thai at Greenfield last Thursday was very impressed much more authentic than Red Torch IMO. We even got a little amouse bouche at the start . The pork crackling was so crispy and light . Also had a papaya salad which was spicy and very fresh. Soft shell crab for main was also delicious. The mark up on the wine was quite high that was probably the only minus also very good staff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

L1011 wrote: »
    Never noticed the buggypocalypse in Chill to the same extent as in Shoda. Shoda some mornings seems to basically have every new mother in North Kildare in it!

I normally like Shoda but here comes a whinge...

Went last Saturday for breakfast. Got there at 12 on the button. Girl behind the counter asks the only 2 other people in the queue if they want breakfast. Then realises the time. Asks the chef if it's ok, he says it fine (well gave a thumbs up) The two customers say they don't want breakfast. I then try to get her attention, get ignored she takes the sign down, I ask if breakfast is over? Get told it stops at 12. It's 12.01. Not impressed, left and went to willow and wild...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

No Falling Down rampage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

And they could start using milk from the Republic of Ireland

lordgoat wrote: »
    I normally like Shoda but here comes a whinge...

Went last Saturday for breakfast. Got there at 12 on the button. Girl behind the counter asks the only 2 other people in the queue if they want breakfast. Then realises the time. Asks the chef if it's ok, he says it fine (well gave a thumbs up) The two customers say they don't want breakfast. I then try to get her attention, get ignored she takes the sign down, I ask if breakfast is over? Get told it stops at 12. It's 12.01. Not impressed, left and went to willow and wild...

If you weren't in a hurry, Emma's is where I go over W&W now but it can be insanely slow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Alkham wrote: »
    Just a quick update.
    Went to the new Thai at Greenfield last Thursday was very impressed much more authentic than Red Torch IMO. We even got a little amouse bouche at the start . The pork crackling was so crispy and light . Also had a papaya salad which was spicy and very fresh. Soft shell crab for main was also delicious. The mark up on the wine was quite high that was probably the only minus also very good staff.

Had takeaway this evening. Really good.
    Restaurant was quiet.

Not sure the decor style is going to work. It's a bit fast versus relaxed. Hope I'm wrong on that. Will give the sit in a go soon.

ixus wrote: »
    No Falling Down rampage?

I was more bemused by the whole thing
    If you weren't in a hurry, Emma's is where I go over W&W now but it can be insanely slow

Where is this Emma's you speak of?
    Edit: NM it's the place in the glen royal, yes been meaning to try here? Good spot?

lordgoat wrote: »
    Where is this Emma's you speak of?
    Edit: NM it's the place in the glen royal, yes been meaning to try here? Good spot?

Greasy spoon type place, breakfast is plain but very good - but the kitchen isn't at all large enough for when its busy.

Its cleaner/tidier/nicer than when it was the Royal Cafe, for anyone who remembers that.

Greasy spoon type place, breakfast is plain but very good - but the kitchen isn't at all large enough for when its busy.

Its cleaner/tidier/nicer than when it was the Royal Cafe, for anyone who remembers that.

TBH all I want are some good poached eggs brown bread and good tea/coffee!

Coffee Mill poached eggs are decent. Don't know if Emma's do that

Just back from another killer mean in the Thai place where Xtra Vision was.

No complaints. Great service. Great food. And the have a booze license on the way and cocktails will be on the menu.

• Advertisement

I'd rather hope they have a booze licence already as they've had beer since week 1 :pac:

Wine Retailers On Licence vs Special Restaurant Licence is the difference there - no spirits on the oddly misnamed Wine licence - which allows beer. First one is much easier to obtain than the second for no good reason.

We've done takeaway more often than eat-in due to living so near; and they can have issues getting takeaways away on time. May need to turn down custom sometimes.

The Irish Times food section - not the restaurant review, but the news bit - covered it last week which should have given some extra trade too.

I do remember the Royal Cafe and it is a lot cleaner. Still a greasy spoon but the breakfast is excellent. I've always found the service fine but that may be because I walk in, say Hi to Emma and she just puts on my usual :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We really like Emma's place too. The food is always good and the staff are lovely.
    I was in the thai twice last week,I have no idea what Authentic Thai food is like but the food in Kin Khao is really really good. They have a selection of Brew Dog beers too.

Emma's do offer poached eggs, checked specially when getting a greasy fry yesterday.

I've seriously gone off the Coffee Mill breakfast which I did think was the best since Pickwick's closed a decade ago - but the breakfast panini is still good there. Dry dry pudding and brown toast by default let the full down

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Emmas is great for a greasy fry... with a handful of chips. Spiritual successor to the Rye.

Their till receipts actually say The Rye on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Their till receipts actually say The Rye on them!

Did not know that. I know years ago.. 10-15 that both places were owned/run by the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alkham

The Indian/La Tania beside the Roost has been served a closure order by the FSAI. I can't see the particulars on the website yet.

Doubt it's for misdescribed menu items - a "mild" Madras gave me a nosebleed once it was so spicy - and I cook Indian food all the time!

• Advertisement

Alkham wrote: »
    The Indian/La Tania beside the Roost has been served a closure order by the FSAI. I can't see the particulars on the website yet.

It's the first item here: https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Monitoring_and_Enforcement/Enforcement/Enforcement-Orders-Closure.pdf

Just says under the FSAI Act so could be anything.

Advertisement