Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Orion wrote: »
    I heard possibility of student accommodation. It's a lease with an option to buy in 2 years as far as I know.

Sunday Indo today has Louis stating he wants student accommodation and won't be reopening the nightclub section at all.

Still don't think it'll get planning in that location personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

Ely sell a couple of bottled beers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

L1011 wrote: »
    Sunday Indo today has Louis stating he wants student accommodation and won't be reopening the nightclub section at all.

Still don't think it'll get planning in that location personally.

And as expected the front lounge in the Roost is closed for renovations. Back lounge is open but fairly gutted too.

There's an eyebrow place down in the old photo unit beside Masterson's now; and some (awful) new branding on the old Taj/Lan Tania which is still being refitted after the closure order

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Occassions hairdressers are moving into the old Bella Baby unit. They are advertising that they will have make up and nails too. It was gutted when I passed by on Thursday and it is a huge unit.

• Advertisement

That is a ridiculously huge unit for that surely?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

and an even more ridiculously expensive unit. I can't imagine how the figures could stack up in terms of rent/rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

I don't know the size of that unit but their website says that their Naas branch is 2,000 Sq ft which includes a beauty salon. They must be replicating that salon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Unit 28 is 5,651 sq. ft.

For comparison, the shops on the post office side are 689 sq. ft.

Planning application in to demolish the extension to the Duke & Coachmen, retain a restaurant on the front ground floor and build a 100 bed student accomodation complex on to it.

And the Main Street Centra has applied for an off-licence - only sells wine currently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Planning application in to demolish the extension to the Duke & Coachmen, retain a restaurant on the front ground floor and build a 100 bed student accomodation complex on to it.

And the Main Street Centra has applied for an off-licence - only sells wine currently.

In no way am I anti-student at all. I think they are a vital part of the town but this may end up being a total disaster.

Why not build something like a live in community for the ever aging community? Well I know the reason, more demanding tenants who pay less. But it would be a far more valuable asset to the town.

That building wouldn't suit itself to an elderly community to be honest.

Orion wrote: »
    That building wouldn't suit itself to an elderly community to be honest.

Building no but location is perfect for it.

Seeing as this has long since become the main chat thread (will ask a mod to change the title when I'm at a PC) - the local election tallies are fairly surprising for Maynooth. Cronin will be eliminated immediately if the figures are even vaguely right after getting a quota last time and Murray is probably in trouble too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Interesting differences between the two Maynooth boxes that were tallied too

Interesting differences between the two Maynooth boxes that were tallied too

The figures I've seen online are an all box tally. Are there individual box ones elsewhere?

Still irritating to see people voting for FF especially and FG.
    Looking like Reada is gone as well this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Very surprised the green candidate didn't do better. Were they new or well known in the area?

yellow hen wrote: »
    Very surprised the green candidate didn't do better. Were they new or well known in the area?

New or at least very low profile if not. And still could get in depending on where Riadas votes go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

lordgoat wrote: »
    Still irritating to see people voting for FF especially and FG.
    Looking like Reada is gone as well this time.

That's our democracy for ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yellow hen wrote: »
    new, there was no Grenn candidate in 2014:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Kildare_County_Council_election#Maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

We didn't havent that many door callers although we did have alot of 'sorry we missed you' type flyers. The few who I did speak to and interrogate were less than impressive though. One in particular who will not get a seat was very poor; Knowledge, articulation, lust for real town progress was just non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

The figures I've seen online are an all box tally. Are there individual box ones elsewhere?

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/elections-2019/419278/live-blog-kildare-votes-in-local-election-20019-le19.html

They had a few individual boxes from Rathcoffey, Kilcock, BNS, GNS if you scroll back to yesterday evening

All fairly normal I'd say. We're back to the voting pattern from the late 90s here except for the Green vote!

Reada was the only actual candidate to call. Was very pleasant even when I told her there's no way I'd vote for SF. Canvassers for pretty much everyone else too.

Murray went as early as possible with her first preference count and the Greens took the last seat without reaching quota - Durkan also didn't reach quota but seeing as it was a vote management split that came close to getting 2 seats they'll be happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Cronin would have had a solid core base in Clane then which was cut off. Murray didn't

I wonder if Murray was unsure about running again as there was a many month gap in her social media presence last year

Grehans personal vote was Maynooth based, may have been a protest element in what is now Clane. But the hard left vote has basically evaporated and centre left vote went either Green or back to Labour.

Cronin would have had a solid core base in Clane then which was cut off. Murray didn't

I wonder if Murray was unsure about running again as there was a many month gap in her social media presence last year

Grehans personal vote was Maynooth based, may have been a protest element in what is now Clane. But the hard left vote has basically evaporated and centre left vote went either Green or back to Labour.

Not so much Clane (unless you mean the new LEA) - was the rural areas that went to the Clane LEA was her main vote. Reada was never going to be transfer friendly - she needed a much bigger 1st pref vote. And her small vote was symptomatic of the SF collapse nationwide. Only 1 seat now on the council.

Teresa's 1st prefs was only slightly down on last time. But with a smaller constituency and less candidates she didn't have enough time to make up the balance from transfers.

Feeney didn't just get the core Labour vote - she also seems to have got the McGinley personal vote.

Transfers were key. While Hamilton got the green vote other transfers didn't go alone party lines. I saw this all over the county. E.g. a huge number of papers in Newbridge went FG => FF => Green => IND or something similar. Local voting was a major contributor.

The big surprise was Naoise topping the poll. Even he was surprised by that. Ward was expected to do that.

A lot of old faces returned but also a few casualties. Anto Larkin a big casualty for Leixlip but it went to safe hands in Nuala Killeen (full disclosure - I'm Soc Dem and canvassed for her).

Going to be an interesting council. 4 SD, 3 Green, 5 Labour. These could easily form a progressive grouping possibly along with some IND like McEvoy within the council and actually get things done for the environment and active living in Kildare.

Final breakdown is :

FF: 12
    FG: 11
    Lab: 5
    SD: 4
    IND: 4 (although Cussen is not IND - she's Aontu)
    Green: 3
    SF: 1

• Advertisement

I meant the LEA. I suspect Cussen may not have done as well if she actually ran as Aontu, Young may have kept the seat.

Advertisement