Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

L1011 wrote: »
    I meant the LEA. I suspect Cussen may not have done as well if she actually ran as Aontu, Young may have kept the seat.

I did notice that, why is she running as an independent? Is she distancing herself from their recent anti immigrant stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

mloc123 wrote: »
    I did notice that, why is she running as an independent? Is she distancing herself from their recent anti immigrant stuff...

Dishonesty. If she ran as Aontu she'd lose votes as L1011 said. Running as IND kept her personal vote. Won't be surprised to change to status to Aontu now that she's elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alkham

I heard the clubhouse in Carton had been revamped so went up for a nosey on Saturday afternoon. Looks way better it's all opened up now. Nice colour scheme too. There is still a members area but its tucked away on the left.
    Service is a little slow and I didn't try the food but it's a huge improvement. Yes its expensive but your always going to pay a premium there anyway.
    I cant think of anywhere as nice to sit outside and have a pint in Maynooth. In fact there is a terrible lack of a decent beer garden/ outside drinking options.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Alkham wrote: »
    I heard the clubhouse in Carton had been revamped so went up for a nosey on Saturday afternoon. Looks way better it's all opened up now. Nice colour scheme too. There is still a members area but its tucked away on the left.
    Service is a little slow and I didn't try the food but it's a huge improvement. Yes its expensive but your always going to pay a premium there anyway.
    I cant think of anywhere as nice to sit outside and have a pint in Maynooth. In fact there is a terrible lack of a decent beer garden/ outside drinking options.

Back of O'Neills?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

GAA club.
    Glenroyal.

Brady's

Not worth the investment given our weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Alkham wrote:

Did you notice if they have anything other than Guinness/Carlsberg/Budweiser/Heineken/Rockshore/HH13

I have to admit I've never been in the GAA club I'll rectify that soon .
    O'Neill's is okay imo but is a bit of a back yard .
    Declan does seem to do the best out of a spell of good weather as he can just keep expanding into the square. It's a great sun trap in the evening . I still feel like your just "sitting outside" as opposed to a genuine beer garden.
    Carton had taps for Peroni and Tiger . They're could have been others I cant recall. They do have Hollow and Feintmans too.

I forgot about the Glenroyal.
    To quote a friend of mine "Every oul one going in to do their shopping is judging ye for having a pint in the afternoon". It wouldn't bother me personally but I can understand his point.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

Totally agree that Maynooth is lacking a good outside socializing area. Nice having a few drinks outside Brady's in the evening sunshine and Declan does a good job of managing it but would be nice to see something more permanent and structured like is shown in the Maynooth LAP (attached) That square is crying out for something to be done to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

Looks like La Brasserie restaurant has closed down. Anyone know the story? I thought the restaurant trade was doing well in Maynooth. Being down a lane was it too off the beaten track (similar to donatellos before it moved to main st when it got a new lease of life).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

Looks like La Brasserie restaurant has closed down. Anyone know the story? I thought the restaurant trade was doing well in Maynooth. Being down a lane was it too off the beaten track (similar to donatellos before it moved to main st when it got a new lease of life).

Only living here 8 months but didn’t even know it existed

Bought lease from Twist and ploughed money into refurb. Went back uo for sale early enough.

Never tried it but menu looked expensive and, more likely, an unusual menu. Too OTT for location. For example, Canteen in Celbridge would be out the door in that location.

Screamed decadence to me which isn't really North Kildare. Maybe I'm being unfair.
    http://thetaste.ie/wp/la-brasserie-maynooth-review/

Was empty the one time I ate there. Spent too much on the refit and not enough letting people know it's there probably

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

This seemed to be it. Gave it a try after it opened; expensive, food not good enough for this, no matter what the interior is like. No amount of fancy cocktails, decor and pretentiousness of staff can overcome average food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The Sugar Sisters shop has closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I have no idea what shop that was.

I did see from the bus yesterday that there's a new restaurant at the end of the main st on the corner of the dunboyne road.

Grayson wrote: »
    I have no idea what shop that was.

I did see from the bus yesterday that there's a new restaurant at the end of the main st on the corner of the dunboyne road.

Cake making supplies.

That'd be Ely which is open a few months now, wine bar moreso than a restaurant although it does do food.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Cake making supplies.

That'd be Ely which is open a few months now, wine bar moreso than a restaurant although it does do food.

I live up the moyglare road so I never get further down the street than the 66 bus stop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

They moved to another premises in the city centre I think.

Picaderos building acquired for 1.4m. Could have bought building beside Ely amd had a mill to refurb.

• Advertisement

They've had the one on the quays before they opened the Maynooth store.

They've had the one on the quays before they opened the Maynooth store.

You may be thinking of Decobake who were (are?) on the quays and Clane; Sugar Sisters had Maynooth first but the Dublin one opened before the Maynooth one closed.

Looking at the addresses, it seems they're both on Bachelors Walk in different units but that could be a numbering issue!

You may be thinking of Decobake who were (are?) on the quays and Clane; Sugar Sisters had Maynooth first but the Dublin one opened before the Maynooth one closed.

Looking at the addresses, it seems they're both on Bachelors Walk in different units but that could be a numbering issue!

I was under the impression they were the same business. Decobake had trouble paying rates and was liquidated.

I was under the impression they were the same business. Decobake had trouble paying rates and was liquidated.

Statement on their Facebook denying it entirely a while back; however no idea if that was actually true!

edit: found said statement, it appears its the children of the original Decobake owners...

From their facebook.
    "Our online store will still be alive and kicking and we have some big plans in terms of our online store. We will also be offering a Collection service once we get ourselves settled Into our new location near by"

From Facebook:
    A performance area, seating, planting , formal and informal play areas , cafe , toilets and a skatepark.

A draft layout is being drawn up having regard to all survey responses received at the public consultation event held on April 5th and the associated online survey.

There were nearly 900 surveys completed with 87% expressing a desire for the following four facilities; cafe, toilets, skatepark, and planting. However, the proposed layout of the park will contain far more elements than the top 4 preferences identified in the survey. We have looked at all the survey responses and the draft design is being guided by the range of amenities requested, including a performance area, seating, formal and informal play areas to name but a few.

Once this exciting draft design has been fully developed, the Clane-Maynooth MD members will be briefed on the proposed draft prior to its formal Public Consultation launch under Part 8 of the Planning and Development Act, 2000 (as amended).

As part of the Part 8 Public Consultation, submission/ observations on the proposed layout of the Park will be invited from all interested members of the public and other stakeholders. There will be a public information session arranged as part of this process with the full plans and proposals on public display in Maynooth Library, Maynooth Area Office, and Áras Chill Dara.

As there are no Council meetings held in August, I expect that the Clane-Maynooth MD will be briefed at its September meeting with the formal Public Consultation process commencing shortly thereafter.

Kind Regards,

Mairead

Mairead Hunt
    Senior Executive Officer,
    Strategic Projects & Public Realm,
    Kildare County Council.

This sounds excellent. I assume the cafe and toilets will be one and the same building. I do hope that building won't just be a standard brick structure. Something nice like the tea rooms in the Phoenix Park or the cafe in Donadea would be more in keeping with the area. Overall delighted the Harbour Field is being developed as an amenity and hopefully this will put an end to any further ideas along the lines of carparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Rdwrer

Anyone else notice the price of fuel in Maynooth these days?

In both petrol stations on the Straffan road (including Circle K), it's
    137 for diesel
    145 for petrol

In Palmerstown (including Circle K), it's
    125 for diesel
    132 for petrol

12c for diesel and 13c for petrol more expensive in Maynooth, for the same company?

Tesco were even dearer last time I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Rdwrer wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the price of fuel in Maynooth these days?

In both petrol stations on the Straffan road (including Circle K), it's
    137 for diesel
    145 for petrol

In Palmerstown (including Circle K), it's
    125 for diesel
    132 for petrol

12c for diesel and 13c for petrol more expensive in Maynooth, for the same company?

Indeed - I bought my diesel in Palmerstown. The price of oil has dropped by c. $10 a barrel, but only a 2 cent per litre reduction in Maynooth.

• Advertisement

Sure we're the third richest town in Ireland.

Advertisement