Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Didn't really feel like phoning around this morning to see where's doing takeout breakfast/lunch food - so might be worth saying it here

Coffee Mill is, 7 days
    Sasta is, 7 days

Anyone know the situation for Ely, Emmas etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Not at all shop related so forgive me but.... has anyone here got a smart electricity metre or a one with day and night metres? We still just have the single metre and our electricity bills are so high. Would like to upgrade but not sure we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

yellow hen wrote: »
    Not at all shop related so forgive me but.... has anyone here got a smart electricity metre or a one with day and night metres? We still just have the single metre and our electricity bills are so high. Would like to upgrade but not sure we can.

What are you using your electricity for?
    You can change to a Day/Night metre but I think the day rate becomes more expensive. You can check the ESB website.
    Maybe get an OWL usage meter and monitor your usage.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/OWL-Micro-Wireless-Energy-Monitor/dp/B007W0SQ3Y/ref=asc_df_B007W0SQ3Y/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=255774212797&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12208347490373638521&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007871&hvtargid=pla-422963791137&psc=1

Unless you've significant overnight power use - electric storage heating, electric car charging, delay-start timers on dishwasher/washing machine/dryer, electric water heating (and a highly insulated tank to ensure it stays warm - a 70s lagging jacket is not enough!) - you'll end up spending more. This is why the day/night in my house has been cut down to day-only.

Biggest drain would be the oven and electric shower. I rarely use the dryer and dishwasher is only once a week. I would schedule the washing machine for the night time if it made any difference. I read that smart metres are being rolled out by ESB and Kildare is one of the first counties but I've heard nothing yet (presumably covid hugely delayed their schedule).

• Advertisement

Biggest drain would be the oven and electric shower. I rarely use the dryer and dishwasher is only once a week. I would schedule the washing machine for the night time if it made any difference. I read that smart metres are being rolled out by ESB and Kildare is one of the first counties but I've heard nothing yet (presumably covid hugely delayed their schedule).

Only thing jumping out at me there is the electric shower.
    Is the heating electric?
    When you say high, roughly how much?

It's about 100/110 per month for a young family. Oil heating. Nothing major that i can identify that would be a huge drain.

That's not particularly high. Mine's about 75/month for two, but gas heated water rather than electric shower.

It's about 100/110 per month for a young family. Oil heating. Nothing major that i can identify that would be a huge drain.

I'm on equal pay with Energia and pay €100 a month, young family and Gas heating.
    I've no electric shower but use dishwasher/washing machine/dryer probably 3 times a week.
    Maybe look at changing your electricity supplier to the lowest cent/KWh.

* I probably still have a shortfall around Christmas and have to pay an extra €60-80

Thanks. It just came up in conversation with colleagues the other day and ours seemed high by comparison. Maybe not so. Although I'm going to switch providers soon...been a bit lazy on that front!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Very trivial question but anyone know where to buy the rings you put on your phone to hold it from the back?

Popsockets? I'd expect every one of the phone repair places to sell them.

Just realised the fuel place on old greenfield is gone. Who else is there to buy coal and briquettes from? (Other than the guy at the garden centre).

Is it actually gone or are you just seeing the sign removed from the Straffan Road? I just assumed the sign was taken down by the new houses.

Monaghans out towards Barberstown are where I go as they open quite late. Barretts also do it

L1011 wrote: »
    Is it actually gone or are you just seeing the sign removed from the Straffan Road? I just assumed the sign was taken down by the new houses.

Monaghans out towards Barberstown are where I go as they open quite late. Barretts also do it

The sign is still outside the house on greenfield road but I've gone there twice and it hasn't been open and a neighbour just told me he has closed up. Thanks for recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Am sure you might pay a premium but Maxol has a fuel shed as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Maxol does good coal but €14 for 20kg vs €20 for 40kg up in Monaghan's.

Lidl/Aldi tend to be the best for briquettes when on offer, 5 bails for €18 I think but they usually sell fast.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just realised the fuel place on old greenfield is gone. Who else is there to buy coal and briquettes from? (Other than the guy at the garden centre).

There's a fuel place out towards Barberstown cross. Not sure if they deliver.

beertons wrote: »
    There's a fuel place out towards Barberstown cross. Not sure if they deliver.

I think that's Monaghans. Thanks all. I'll call them tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I think that's Monaghans. Thanks all. I'll call them tomorrow.

Monaghan's yes. They do deliver. We buy all our fuel there.

• Advertisement

Didn't really feel like phoning around this morning to see where's doing takeout breakfast/lunch food - so might be worth saying it here

Coffee Mill is, 7 days
    Sasta is, 7 days

Anyone know the situation for Ely, Emmas etc?

Emmas still has Halloween decorations up so I imagine it's not doing any takeout... hopefully they return when they can do sit-in.

Shoda's definitely open - anywhere else?

Inexplicable Lidl logic:

* Leave busy and presumably highly profitable Maynooth store in poor condition and with an older format for years and years
    * Apply for permission to knock it down and replace it
    * Completely refresh the interior to current specs but without fixing the broken carpark (and I'd presume the roof too)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Inexplicable Lidl logic:

* Leave busy and presumably highly profitable Maynooth store in poor condition and with an older format for years and years
    * Apply for permission to knock it down and replace it
    * Completely refresh the interior to current specs but without fixing the broken carpark (and I'd presume the roof too)

I'd guess that the demolition and rebuild is on hold if they've revamped the interior?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

There is a fuel place up by Maynooth Garden Centre, just past Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Besburrito is open now.
    A few people queuing outside earlier, so I didn't bother going in to look at the menu, and still zero web presence that I can find.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Besburrito is open now.
    A few people queuing outside earlier, so I didn't bother going in to look at the menu, and still zero web presence that I can find.

Looking forward to checking this place out!

Orion wrote: »
    Monaghan's yes. They do deliver. We buy all our fuel there.

Got a delivery from here today. Really nice delivery guy, carried everything around and emptied it into the bunker. Thanks for recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Besburrito is open now.

If they want to appeal to anyone (?) outside of students and the post pub (will people still want to eat after their substantial meal?) crowd, they need to get a menu up online.

Plastic Christmas tree shop open in one of the mini units in Tesco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 mindyourself

That's strange my post is no longer available - I can't post a pic but here are the prices for Besburritos

Burritos-7.90 euro
    Fajitas-7.50 euro
    Tacos-3 euro each 2 tacos for 5 euro
    Burrito Bowl- 7.50 euro
    Salad Bowl - 6.00 euro
    Nachos- 6.00 euro

Protein selection looks like chicken, beef, pork, beef mince and veggies
    Hope this helps! I went there yesterday and loved the chicken tacos. Coyne Family Butcher is supplying the meat and it's great quality. Happy to finally have a burrito bar here in Maynooth

Advertisement