Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

There is a Newtown hall group on Facebook

https://facebook.com/groups/275285006909501/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Delhi Darbar is now open

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭crl84

Chettinad Chicken with boiled rice is €11.95

For comparison, the same from Fusion is €16 (13.50 main + 2.50 rice).

Will definitely be defaulting to DD in that case, assuming the food is of the Celbridge branch standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Opening hours seem a bit strange for the new Delhi Darbar. Mid day to 7pm atm, they do plan on extending the hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

I think that's either part of the planning conditions or the lease so as not to compete with the Stone Haven out the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

That's very strange, there was a restaurant that was there a few years ago that opened late, I know someone who had booked a table in Stonehaven but went in there by mistake (not realising Stonehaven was behind).

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chic chick

Maynooth Gaa has a new coffee spot. Typo coffee. With opening hours 9am-3.30pm Monday - Sunday. I haven’t tried it yet but look forward to seeing what it’s like.pic from their instagram page.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Someone from Leinster rugby clearly involved in it, practically the whole team follow Typo Coffee! Was there last Saturday and they'd a few teething problems which is fair to expect but the coffee and ice cream sundaes were very good. Going for high end fare I'd say, the croissants were like you would see in Ely.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭NetworkOrange

Newtown Inn

We will be hosting our first ever Newtown Festival on August 18th - 20th! There will be plenty of great live music acts, food stalls, kids entertainment and a guaranteed good time.

Fun for all the family!

We have a huge selection of food stalls, such as Pincho's Burrito Truck, Naked Pizza, and everyone's favourite Chip Van. We will also have outdoor bar areas and plenty of seating areas outdoors!

LIVE MUSIC:

Friday 18th

4:00 - 6:00 Caoimhe Byrne

6:30 - 8:30 Freddy Black & The Hotel Mosaic

9:00 - 11:00 Zooropa (U2 Tribute Band)

Saturday 19th

1:00 - 3:00 Kids Entertainment

4:00 - 6:00 Sam & Eoin

6:30 - 8:30 Mamma Mia (ABBA Tribute Band)

9:00 - 11:00 Live Forever (Oasis Tribute Band)

Sunday 20th

1:00 - 3:00 Kids Entertainment

4:00 - 6:00 Cian McKeever

6:30 - 8:30 Pop Gods

Hope to see you all there for the event of the Summer!

Edit: Didnt mean to paste this in like an advertisement! Just pointing it out, could be good, and if so an annual thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Coffee in Typo is decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chic chick

Meridian 16 has announced its closure. Sad to see any business close.

Sad but not surprised. Always seemed a poor location and food not mainstream, even if it was good.

I see they also work out of Gregory's in Kilcock?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

It only lasted 8 weeks in Gregory's. Finished last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Aww, I really liked their stuff. Some of the best desserts and coffee in town

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Inforapenny

Anybody in either the 24 hour gym (Anytime Fitness) or the gym in the Glenroyal?

Looking at joining one of them, went to view both today. Mainly interested in the weights equipment over the cardio or classes aspect.

Glenroyal gym seemed to have older equipment but was quite busy at around 1pm. Anytime Fitness not as big and not as busy either.

Would probably look to go at around 7.30am in the morning.

Any thoughts from other forum members experience?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭crl84

I was a member in the Glenroyal for 10+ years, and in Anytime now.

7:30am you'll be fine in either, neither will be busy.

Glenroyal has a bigger variety of equipment, but older as you said, and it's basically unusable from 4pm-8pm Mon-Thurs due to the amount of people in the weights area. I haven't been in there in about a year, but there was always queues in the weights area, while half the cardio equipment was empty and just taking up space. Glenroyal had started replacing a few machines when I left, but still a lot of old and dirty equipment there. Seems to be little effort to keep the place clean and looking well. Even When closed/restricted during covid, they didn't bother to get the most of the place painted or rusting/chipped machines given a polish and a paint. I found the limited times at the weekend annoying too. Was paying €57 a month. Glenroyal has pool/sauna etc though.

Anytime has slightly less variety of machines, but has most things you'd need. A supported T-Bar row (they have bar with landmine attachment and cable row machines already), and maybe some sort of lateral raise machine and it would be perfect IMO. Generally has less people and while busy in the evening, isn't as packed as the Glenroyal. I still avoid Mon/Tues evenings though if possible. Paying €40 a month.

All things considered, personally, I'd probably choose the Glenroyal if I was usually going in the mornings, but that's because I like using the pool/jacuzzi/sauna when I have time after the gym. I usually go at lunch/evenings though, so Anytime suits me best.

If you've no interest in the pool etc, I'd probably just go with Anytime and save the few quid.

Thank you, a really helpful and detailed reply!!

Yep, re: the Glenroyal the equipment seemed quite old & the place itself quite dark.

Some of the most recent google reviews of Anytime seemed pretty negative, so had me analysing it a bit more.

The Glenroyal has the look of a place that is happy as is and not bothered investing in newer equipment.

Never really used sauna,jacuzzi or pool in current gym, be nice to have the option but wont make or break it for me.

Anytime are looking for 45 p/m, or 450 per year which works out at less than 40 p/m. Also, seem to want 45 for a fob.

Glenroyal looking for 57 p/m or 44 p/m if paying for a year.

Minimum contract with Anytime is 6 months and 3 months with Glenroyal, would have done a month with both if an option to try them out.

Staff at reception in Anytime a lot friendlier and helpful than those at the Glenroyal when looking to have a look around.

Post edited by Inforapenny on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I'm a member on and off in the glenroyal for years too, I'd agree a lot of the equipment is old and couldn't understand why the place was not given a major overhaul already.

However on the way in just last week there is a large sign showing how the gym is to get refurbished in August and I think it said all new equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭vafankillar

yeah coincidence that they're acutally about to get done up as you've started this conversation. was in glen royal a few years ago when i was in college & joined a while back when i moved to maynooth, was surprised at the lack of upgrade over the years. was in flyefit before i moved to maynooth which was much cheaper than both places, 32 per month or 35 for roaming pass, which i went with cos i could go my local or any of the like 5 they have in dublin city, often did for the craic of it if i was going shopping in town.

do wonder how much this uplift will affect actually using the gym? bit annoying after only joining, 2 months ago, probably would have went with anytime fitness till uplift was finished if i'd known this. is it two or 3 months minimum?

AFAIK it is a 3 month minimum in the Glenroyal & 6 months in Anytime.

6 months minimum is a bit spicy, especially if you just want to try it out a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Coffee and ice cream counters going in to Donovan's. Well the ice cream one is presumably moving, cause they already have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Falo pizza really not nice. Service so slow too. First and last visit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had Falo last night and it was absolutely beautiful. What was wrong with yours?

The one time I have had Falo it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Falo is next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

Have to agree. falo is delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

+1 Falo is top bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I had a Falo a few months back and it wasn't great at all, tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Holy crap. The quality of chipper in Maynooth has fallen off a cliff. Both Romayos are chronic. Chips are undercooked, soggy and stuck together. Tasteless muck.

Any decent ones in celbridge or leixlip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Tango One

Noticed that too romayo is very hit and miss.

Advertisement