Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both gone to absolute crap in the last year or so. I know food input prices have gone up but they really know how to charge for what is now increasingly inedible food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭samo

Had nice fish and chips from East End in Lucan yesterday. Great chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NetworkOrange

Anyone know whats going into the old hardware shop unit in Glenroyal shopping centre? It says "Lease agreed" on the sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Got a kebab delivered from Smoking Goat having seen some praise for it, bread was good, rest was not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I see decorators in at the unit beside the Spar at Newtown. It was Maynooth cycles previously I think? Any idea what is going? A good chipper would be too much to hope for I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Any word on when the new Smoking Goat unit is going into Carton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Smoking goat was probably the worst kebab I ever had and only 2 hours for delivery. Got a refund from Just Eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Not tried The Smoking Goat Maynooth yet because they have split the menu on Just Eat, similar to what Food Guru does, which pisses me off as you would end up paying 2 fees if you want to order from their 'full' menu.

In Celbridge, you can order everything from same menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I don't think the smokin goat has opened in Maynooth yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NetworkOrange

Not sure, I'd imagine extensive work would be needed to convert the shop to a food place/takeaway. If its just decorators in, maybe thats not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Am I alone in being annoyed at how much of the footpath along the Main Street is taken up by the pubs and restaurants screened off outside seating areas? With the addition of planters one is nearly touching the cycle lane area - taking up all the designated footpath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Went to the Macaris chipper beside Aldi in Celbridge last night. Much better than either of the romayos in Maynooth. Chips were fresh. Chicken was nice and decent portions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

It's a pharmacy.. going in next to spar

A pharmacy opening over there just as the GP surgery closes down! Odd timing. Town's quite heavily served with pharmacies too albeit there isn't one that side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭vafankillar

the avenue, the wine place & picaderos or whatever, are kinda taking the piss how the smoking area is now non-smoking seating area and the smoking area is outside again further with stools & barrels. just let people smoke in the original outside area ffs

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

This is genius.Will do very very well. Is it a chain or independent?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'd be a big fan of removing most of the car parking spaces on Main Street (except the accessibility spaces). Far bigger waste of space that this imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

What is it with pharmacies in this country? Every town you go to seems to have loads, they must be absolute goldmines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

100%

I love the atmosphere created by the outside seating areas. When Picaderos had that little hut in the parking spaces it was much nicer than it just being a car. And there's plenty of parking close by, we could easily forfeit a good few spaces on the Main St

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Personally I think maynooth has a very good balance of on street parking.. the heavy traffic is a bigger issue. Take away parking and you end up with leixlip, which is really suffering now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭tnegun

Maynooth is overrun with on-street parking and there is no need for most of it with plenty of parking spaces available in the car parks around the town, whatever about Main Street how the parking on the Dunboyne Road and Parson Street is allowed to continue making it so hostile to active travel is beyond me.

Get that carpark that is legally required to be open on Doctors Lane back open and you could whip most of the on street away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭buffalo

Leixlip isn't suffering for lack of parking, it's because of the narrow footpaths and the through car traffic. I've never driven to Leixlip village and had to wait for a spot. It's just not a pleasant place to hang around. Maynooth has a much wider streetscape with potential for a much nicer public realm (even while keeping through traffic).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

I can't say it never really bothered me. I find it more annoying when people park on the footpath (like the delivery drivers outside Apache's on Mill St).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭vafankillar

dont think getting rid of a few parking spaces would suddenly insert two huge hills on either side of maynooth town.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

In my days there, you wouldn’t have had many shops to choose from and no second hand shops, bizarrely enough. I loved apache pizza and remember sharing it many a chicken special. God to be 19 and stupid again !

There's been a SVP second hand shop in Maynooth for at least 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

There's an NCBI as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

The outdoor dining areas give the street a bit of life and ambience, they make it more continental. I'd be very sad to see them go. Plus with the amount of restaurants closing down in this country at the minute, I'll concede a bit of space on our very wide footpaths if it helps them survive.

Advertisement