Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging problems

Options
  • 27-02-2012 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am trying to put a wireless bridge in place between my sitting room and my bedroom. My source is in my bedroom through a pre-routed port where you simply plug a cat5 cable into the port and away you go - I am on college accommodation and am trying to get a gaming system running in the living room.

I have tried using two old belkin wireless access points to no avail. The problem seems to be that the college uses DHCP on the network and the belkin boxes, being old, can't deal with this. It works the first time I try to use the net but if I turn off the console in the living room and later go back on it it won't work no matter what I try, even though plugging my laptop direct by cable to the port works no problem.

I am basically looking for a pair of devices that will act as a cable, without the physical cable being there. I want to plug each device into a cable on either side and the device at the end of the line to think its receiving a signal purely by cable - the devices are simply firing the signal through the air with no network configuration going on in the devices.

I had a quick look on ebay and this item looks like it might be what I want - can anyone confirm this / suggest something better/cheaper?
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2pcs-200M-Power-Line-Communication-Ethernet-Wireless-Network-Adapter-Bridge-home-/270888471854?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3f12360d2e#ht_4764wt_1270

PS it would be best if the wireless bridge were invisible so no one else could try and connect to it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I use a set of these, but they are not wireless as in the sense of transmitting the signal through the air, they use the mains wiring in the house to send the signal to one another.

Should do the job for you though!

Advertisement