Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless speeds on UPC 100mb?

Options
  • 27-02-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Based in people's actual usage and personal experiences...

What is the best 300mbps Wireless N USB or PCI device using a desktop pc for UPC 100mb? What kinds of speeds are you guys getting over wireless?

Comments

25-35mb on iPhone 4 & iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Is that on the 100mb service?

Yes, sorry i haven't got round to trying the USB-N yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

livEwirE wrote: »
    Based in people's actual usage and personal experiences...

What is the best 300mbps Wireless N USB or PCI device using a desktop pc for UPC 100mb? What kinds of speeds are you guys getting over wireless?

The fact that it's a 100Mbps service is utterly irrelevant to wireless speeds

The reason I ask is that I'm getting 100mb UPC in soon and would like to be able to achieve at least around 8mbps over a wireless connection when downloading torrents. I just want to see how feasibe this would be and what kinds of speeds other users are achieving in real world usage and what wireless devices they are using:D

• Advertisement

I have never had less then 15mbps over wireless, so you're safe there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

The reason I ask is that I'm getting 100mb UPC in soon and would like to be able to achieve at least around 8mbps over a wireless connection when downloading torrents. I just want to see how feasibe this would be and what kinds of speeds other users are achieving in real world usage and what wireless devices they are using:D

If you want to get full speed you'll need to be wired.

The throughput over wireless N can be about 50-60Mbs(varies) depending on any number of factors outside of your control.
    So do not expect anything like 100Mbs over wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Running a torrent over wireless is crazy unless you have the only one device in the house, it will make the network completely unusable for any other devices while the torrent is running. Best to get utorrent running on a fixed device and use web login to control it over wifi. Many NAS devices now come with utorrent clients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is not a broadband issue. thread moved to Wireless forum.

Thanks for all the advice guys, after some research have decided to invest in one of these D-Link DWA-160

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice guys, after some research have decided to invest in one of these D-Link DWA-160
    Just FYI, to use N, every device connected to your network will have to be N. Otherwise it will revert to G.

No worries mate, all devices will be N:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Mi1o

this will be much better for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Mi1o wrote: »
    this will be much better for you

If the laptop didn't come with "n" originally, then there won't be enough antenna cables. These snap on to the pci card and run up the back of the screen. Wireless "g" has only 2, "n" needs 3, sometimes 4. This makes it pointless adding an "n" card to a laptop made for "g" only.

Advertisement