Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full test on 50cc scooter

• 27-02-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Can you pass the full test on a 50cc scooter?

Assuming you're on a provisional A license and have been driving the stupid little thing for 6 months +

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

No. You'll get a full M class licence.

Better off renting a bike and doing the A test. You'll probably want a lesson or two to get used to the difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 vector3

Thanks for the reply.

Can you pass the test on a 125cc scooter? Basically, I don't fancy a bike. Scooter will do grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

To do the A licence test you need to be on a motorcycle >125cc, so you'll need a 150 or 200 machine at least.

125 and under you can only do the A1 test (if you look at the tax disc most 125 are 123 or 124 cc) and you'll be stuck to machines 125 and under.

If you do the test on an automatic you will be restricted to that type. To ride a geared machine you'll need to do the test again.

Thanks for the replies. Basically I need to buy a bike so. The plan is for renting abroad.

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

That describes my situation as well. Passed the A1 on a 125 scooter. Then when I got the Virago bike, I had to do the full A test.

• Advertisement

vector3 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Basically I need to buy a bike so. The plan is for renting abroad.

Thanks lads.
    You could always do a couple of lessons on an instructors bike (to get used to the difference) and then do the test on that. I used my local instructor's bike for my test as all I had at the time was a 125.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

AgileMyth wrote: »
    You could always do a couple of lessons on an instructors bike (to get used to the difference) and then do the test on that. I used my local instructor's bike for my test as all I had at the time was a 125.

this is the best way to go. its expensive but you'll have a proper licence at the end of it.

Looking into this, it's crazy expensive.... Like, my 50cc costs nothing in comparison. The complicated crap you have to go through and the number of hoops is ridiculous.
    Training, accompanied lessons, compulsory hi-vis gear... Nanny state bullcrap.

I want a bike, I'm an adult, if I crash it most likely I'm the one who gets injured and no one else. MY DECISION!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Looking into this, it's crazy expensive.... Like, my 50cc costs nothing in comparison. The complicated crap you have to go through and the number of hoops is ridiculous.
    Training, accompanied lessons, compulsory hi-vis gear... Nanny state bullcrap.

I want a bike, I'm an adult, if I crash it most likely I'm the one who gets injured and no one else. MY DECISION!

My theory is that they're making it so awkward, with all the different classes, power restrictions, training etc that people that are half thinking of getting a bike, just won't bother! Looks like it's working :(

Like, I have a small few bob to put into this. Getting a 2nd car would be cheaper! I just want something to nip into town on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I have my test on the 23rd and I've already spent €660 on lessons. Because I don't own a bike I've no choice but to fork out €160 for 3 hours tuition. I'd say by test day I'd of spent over €1000, I'm just thankful I didn't have to do the IBT. I've had friends who wanted to learn to ride but when they found out all the restictions, IBT, Prices etc.. they just knocked it on the head.

On the other hand I'm saving about €15 per week on fuel by using the bike instead of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

Can you pass the full test on a 50cc scooter?

Assuming you're on a provisional A license and have been driving the stupid little thing for 6 months +

You can do your test on any bike if you've a provisional A licence, but I'd recommend that you rent a bike greater than the 200cc, just so that you won't have to go through the hassle later on of getting a higher grade license.

Advertisement