Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any quiet(er) petrol chainsaws?

• 27-02-2012 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering.

As we have a 4 stroke strimmer that's pretty quiet, while the one previous was a loud yoke.

Do they make quiet(er) chainsaws? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not really, the design makes it very hard to effectively muffle them without excessive performance loss.
    I don't think you'll find one that is much below 104dB
    Just get better earmuffs, I can recommend Peltor H10 bulky but with great sound reduction.
    I use H7's but they aren't as quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

+1 on the Peltor ear muffs. I use these regularly and you could start a jumbo jet beside me unnoticed........ I SAID YOU COULD START A JUMBO JET....... never mind, and when I put on the muffs I hear even less!!

Anyway I recommend them :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've got peltors :D Think the saw I'm using is 110dB. It's not a problem for me, but since we have the quieter strimmer, I was then wondering about chainsaws.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

+1 for Peltor ear muffs. John there was a hydra saw a few years back, it works off the tractor hydraulics, lot quiter but you had the two hydraulic hoses hanging off it:( Are you going robbin fire wood?:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/machines/chainsaws/pellenc-selion-c20-eco-friendly-battery-chainsaw/
    I dont know if they are any good but if the price is any guide they must be flippen fantastic.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

unfortunately there are ways to quieten chainsaws thats how lots of hurley butts are robbed:mad: dont know any way of doing it without damaging or limiting performance on the saw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

blue5000 wrote: »
    Are you going robbin fire wood?:D

Hahaha, you've reminded me of photo I saw on another site. Two likely lads standing over a lovely ash tree with chainsaw delighted with themselves. One observant poster asked why they needed a lamp to cut down the tree :confused:

Poaching trees for rabbit snare pegs, was a new one on me!

And no, I'm not going robbing firewood :p, got plenty here for the time being thank God :D

Advertisement