Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks danger

Options
  • 27-02-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

hi everyone, in the last week i have been travelling to work at 5 in the morning from wex to ross direction on the main road and have come across the roadworks road signs all moved around sending traffic onto the opposite sides of the road, last night there was an accident between a lorry and and a vanwhich were both travelling on the same lane in opposite directions over the brow of the hill, the driver of the car was brought to hospital but does not have life threatening injuries. the car however is a write-off. i myself had a close one the night before with a van, i had to swerve off into the verge and busted through a row of cones. What kind of sick people are doing this, they will end up killing someone, and it cant be young lads as its a few miles from the town they would need a car and at that hour of the morning to be doing it!! has anyone else drove by this area of the road and had the same thing happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Some of the boy racers think it's a great laugh to do things like that and don't realise the danger they cause.A few nights in the 'Joy would sort 'em out.

Wouldn't be half as funny if one of their family was killed as a result of their "havin' a bit of craic"?

Last year when the N30 was being resurfaced they gathered up a load of the cones outside New Ross and set them on fire on the road.

Then they wonder why people don't like them in their shitebox cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

germanator wrote: »
    hi everyone, in the last week i have been travelling to work at 5 in the morning from wex to ross direction on the main road and have come across the roadworks road signs all moved around sending traffic onto the opposite sides of the road, last night there was an accident between a lorry and and a vanwhich were both travelling on the same lane in opposite directions over the brow of the hill, the driver of the car was brought to hospital but does not have life threatening injuries. the car however is a write-off. i myself had a close one the night before with a van, i had to swerve off into the verge and busted through a row of cones. What kind of sick people are doing this, they will end up killing someone, and it cant be young lads as its a few miles from the town they would need a car and at that hour of the morning to be doing it!! has anyone else drove by this area of the road and had the same thing happen?

Can you please be more specific as to where these roadworks actually are so people can be careful on approach? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Hi,

I could be wrong but I think the Op is talking about the roadworks which are taking place on the N25 at Begerin Hill, its approximately halfway between Ballinaboola and New Ross. The council are doing a short realignment and are also resurfacing about 2.5 kilometres of the road surface between Cushenstown church and the bottom of Begerin hill on the New Ross side.

I have heard that the contractor is having trouble keeping the orange lights on cones...they are losing a dozen a night due to theft since the job started last week:mad:

Drive safe

DC

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

yep, exactly where decoda said! and i remember the cones being set alight, that was on the enniscorthy road just outside ross yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Dickheads - hope their induction kits swallow great volumes of water.

• Advertisement

it wouldnt surprise me if its the same crowd that were throwing the rocks from the flyover last year

well in fairness though we cant exactly say its the "boy racers" that are doing this, i mean it could be a crowd of lads that are not even into cars, their just out to cause trouble!
    theres lots of other trobles i have on the road and to tell the truth none is caused by young fellas, its older women mostly, especially on the one way streets in ross now, every single time i come down theres an old one driving up the wrong way and they seem to think their in the right, nearly caused an accident a few times, and where are the gardai when this is happening? nowhere to be seen either, and they must not have had indicators on their cars in their day either!! bit off topic but just dont like when everything gets blamed on the younger drivers when older drivers are as bad if not worse!! sure they might have standard cars but they sure as hell could do with resitting a driving test

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Not sure how this thread decended into a rant against Guards. no bias here, I'm not a guard, nor have any friends or relations who are guards.

But do you expect them to be sitting on one way streets waiting for an auld one to be driving the wrong way? Or out on a main road at 5am in the morning because there might be trouble? People would complain if there was extra money being spent on having guards patrol roadworks at hours in the morning where there is very little traffic. They have had a lot of cuts to wages and workforce, and whilst I'm not exactly their biggest fan, blaming them becuase dickheads want to drive like tools and make a mess of cones set out on roadworks is not the fault of the gardai. there is only so much they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

well in fairness though we cant exactly say its the "boy racers" that are doing this, i mean it could be a crowd of lads that are not even into cars, their just out to cause trouble!

There's a difference between car enthusiasts and boy racers,the former take pride in their cars while the latter just seem to be gobshites who act the eejit on the roads.We've all seen them crammed into a Saxo or Micra with a stupid exhaust and they feel the need to wear their hoods up while driving for some bizzare reason-do the heaters not work in their cars?
    It's these lads that cause the hassle on the roads not the genuine lad who has a decent looking car and takes pride in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

I had a near one there on Sunday night too, at about 8:30pm. I was coming up the hill towards Ross and on the brow of the hill there was a cone in the middle of the lane, the mother was in the car with me at the time and she nearly sh1t herself when I had to swerve around it clipping a couple of cones in the process.

Thank God or whoever that there wasn't another vehicle coming the other way, we might have been in a bad way.

Absolute pr1cks whoever is doing this! I hate to wish bad on other people, but my God, they deserve it.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    There's a difference between car enthusiasts and boy racers,the former take pride in their cars while the latter just seem to be gobshites who act the eejit on the roads.We've all seen them crammed into a Saxo or Micra with a stupid exhaust and they feel the need to wear their hoods up while driving for some bizzare reason-do the heaters not work in their cars?
    It's these lads that cause the hassle on the roads not the genuine lad who has a decent looking car and takes pride in it.

but whos to even say it was one of these people either?? its jumping the gun to just say its boyracers doing it, it may well be im not denying that but we cant say unless we see them or have some evidence. It may well be some crowd of eejits that drive a brand new standard car or even a motor bike or some lads from the country in a jeep.. we cant say so thats why im not naming anyone or any type of people it might be!

As for guards waiting at a 1 way street, im not saying they should, but in the same light if the guards have reports of trouble in a certain area they keep an eye on it, for a while anyway, so in the same way they could easily keep an eye on these streets or even set up a checkpoint for half an hour as they do at other locations, im pretty sure half an hour would be plenty of time to catch a few people going the wrong way with the amount of times i see it happening. In fairness is a blind eye going to be cast to the situation untill theres a serious accident? There must be some way of amending it. Even if the council appointed a warden or someone to check the streets for a day and take count of all the reg's of cars that go the wrong way and send them a fine, as their very quick to do it for no parking ticket so why should this more serious occurance go without cosequences

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

At the end if the day , it is only short-term danger , and when the roadworks are complete , it will be a relief to travel on this stretch of road without some idiot drivers zooming up the outside lane at 120mph .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Ledger wrote: »
    Absolute pr1cks whoever is doing this! I hate to wish bad on other people, but my God, they deserve it.

It's possible this kind of thing isn't being done by people in the conventional sense.

On many occasions when driving through roadworks I've seen HGVs tyres clip the edge of the base of a cone or two and the cones go flying to the side a few feet if the tyre hit it at just the right angle. So a random cone in the middle of the lane could easily have just got there without any malicious intent.

bkehoe wrote: »
    It's possible this kind of thing isn't being done by people in the conventional sense.

On many occasions when driving through roadworks I've seen HGVs tyres clip the edge of the base of a cone or two and the cones go flying to the side a few feet if the tyre hit it at just the right angle. So a random cone in the middle of the lane could easily have just got there without any malicious intent.

I work on a truck, and believe me they wouldn't be able to move all these cones in a perfect line into the other lane by accident.

Someone is doing this purposely.

yes its definitly done on purpose, the traffic is being directed onto the opposite lane into the line of oncoming traffic! i know what you mean though about one or 2 odd cones in the middle of the road its very likely there were moved by accident

I work on a truck, and believe me they wouldn't be able to move all these cones in a perfect line into the other lane by accident.

Someone is doing this purposely.

Ah ok I thought it was just one cone that was in your lane rather than a row.

bkehoe wrote: »
    Ah ok I thought it was just one cone that was in your lane rather than a row.

It was two, but the way they were situated, it couldn't happen by accident

but whos to even say it was one of these people either?? its jumping the gun to just say its boyracers doing it, it may well be im not denying that but we cant say unless we see them or have some evidence. It may well be some crowd of eejits that drive a brand new standard car or even a motor bike or some lads from the country in a jeep.. we cant say so thats why im not naming anyone or any type of people it might be!

Or trucks clipping the cones and flinging them into the middle of the road?

Edit - point made above

vicwatson wrote: »
    Or trucks clipping the cones and flinging them into the middle of the road?

Did we not just have this argument?

Did we not just have this argument?

Chill, I had gone back in to amend my point:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Chill, I had gone back in to amend my point:rolleyes:

Sorry I didn't mean to sound snippy

just passed an accident there half an hour ago, cones had been diverted onto the very inside lane which has a large barracade type thing full of water and a car had smashed into it and a van into the back of the car, other traffic stopped in time. Whats going to be done about these cu*ts :/

That's puzzling as I just drove by there 30mins - 35mins ago and there was no disruption of any kind... :confused:

mabey you just passed before it happened? as your driving from wexford to ross direction it was right on the top of the hill on the left hand side, once it happened other traffic was able to continue on as the accident was in the the left verge where it was diverted. i was about 8 cars behind when it happened, luckily the line of traffic was only trevelling about 40mph, it was a black mondeo..

just passed an accident there half an hour ago, cones had been diverted onto the very inside lane which has a large barracade type thing full of water and a car had smashed into it and a van into the back of the car, other traffic stopped in time. Whats going to be done about these cu*ts :/

You should consider calling the gardai, and anyone else coming across these type of incidences should also. They might take it seriously and set up a sting op if it's continuing, is it gonna take a serious accident before these aholes are caught?

ithis is rediculous, ive just took a spin out the road by the roadworks and low and behold their at it again, on the uphill out of ross there was a row of cones diverting traffic onto the wrong side of the road, so i moved them out of the way and went to the other end of the roadworks where they had done the same plus moved a large steel arrow sign in the way aswell!! i also moved them out of the way, then drove as far as the hound (about a mile further on) and turned around to head back and i just couldnt believe it, the first number of cones i had moved out of the way on the ross side were put back out diverting traffic to the wrong side again!!! and i passed no other car during the time i was out there which leads me to believe they are either on foot out there, and its very unbelievable to think they walked from ross, i think they may be living in one of the houses out there near the roadworks! I didnt get out of the car this time but rang the local gardai who said they would send someone straight out to check it out...... i waited parked a bit further down the road for almost 20 mins and no sign of the gardai, and i didnt pass them on the way back into town either. I guess they must not see it as an urgant matter until someone gets hurt

It's obvious it's someone local if they moved them in that time, that or there are ghosts at work.

Why don't you call in to the Gardai and explain to them the significant danger there is of someone driving at night through roadworks where someone has moved the damn cones and warning signs.

This has head on collision written all over it.

Perhaps it's some children in the area that need a kick in the arse and that think its great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

ithis is rediculous, ive just took a spin out the road by the roadworks and low and behold their at it again, on the uphill out of ross there was a row of cones diverting traffic onto the wrong side of the road, so i moved them out of the way and went to the other end of the roadworks where they had done the same plus moved a large steel arrow sign in the way aswell!! i also moved them out of the way, then drove as far as the hound (about a mile further on) and turned around to head back and i just couldnt believe it, the first number of cones i had moved out of the way on the ross side were put back out diverting traffic to the wrong side again!!! and i passed no other car during the time i was out there which leads me to believe they are either on foot out there, and its very unbelievable to think they walked from ross, i think they may be living in one of the houses out there near the roadworks! I didnt get out of the car this time but rang the local gardai who said they would send someone straight out to check it out...... i waited parked a bit further down the road for almost 20 mins and no sign of the gardai, and i didnt pass them on the way back into town either. I guess they must not see it as an urgant matter until someone gets hurt

Feck the guards.... this is a job for the x files. bring in scully and mulder

heard of another small accident up there last night, taxi coming back from the horse and hound towards ross met another car coming from ross that had been diverted onto the wrong side, the car recieved small damage by hitting the cones to avoid the taxi...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Shytebags, time to rally the villageaunties!

Advertisement