Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks danger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

My da said he spotted some youngfella moving cones about last Thursday night, he said it was just one lad

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

and was he only on foot, no car or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    My da said he spotted some youngfella moving cones about last Thursday night, he said it was just one lad

Maybe he's dolly dimple, obviously doesn't understand the complexities, cannot understand why the gardai aren't getting involved here:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I'd be inclined to believe the polar opposite, I'd put money on it being some gurrir youngfella who's a bit psychoticaly disturbed, as in they are fully aware if the ramifications of their actions but do it anyway for some perverse scumbag lulz

both could well be right, but until the garda pull their finger out and catch the ****(s) were never going to know

• Advertisement

Why not call the contractor or indeed the NRA or the RSA and tell them the Gardai are doing nothing about it and it's an accident waiting to happen.

sure i remember a few years back there are 2 bad bends, one near feathard on sea and one on the new line near wellington bridge and some head cases were throwing oil on the bends every night, i know personally of 2 people that crashed on the feathard bend and 1 who crashed on the new line and that doesnt include lots of other drivers i heard crashed there... and this was a regular occurance for about 2 months.... needless to say no one was ever caught for that either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

My parents came upon the re-directed cones on Sunday morning at about 10AM. Traffic coming from New Ross was being directed into the westbound lane by 2 cones. But as they knew the lane assignments they didn't go into the incorrect lane and rang the Gardai. The person who answered the phone said that they were aware of it and had got several calls already that morning and that they'd investigate.

Sounds like they can't be bothered till someone gets seriously injured or worse because of it??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

vicwatson wrote: »
    Why not call the contractor or indeed the NRA or the RSA and tell them the Gardai are doing nothing about it and it's an accident waiting to happen.

Wouldn't the New Ross Standard just love to print something about this; they could fill a page?! Someone should take a picture of the cones moved next time and contact them.

bkehoe wrote: »
    Wouldn't the New Ross Standard just love to print something about this; they could fill a page?! Someone should take a picture of the cones moved next time and contact them.
    exactly, i wonder what the gardai would have to say about that, surely they would have to do somthing then as they wouldnt want people knowing they are aware of it but doing nothing about it!!

• Advertisement

just heard a bit about it on south east radio this morning, barely got the end of it though, anyone else hear the whole thing?

Any more news on this?

heard on south east radio again this morning someone had had a small accident on the top of the hill and that cones were directing traffic onto the wrong side travelling out of ross.. that was at half 8

at it again last night, cones were diverting traffic coming from ballinaboola down by cushinstown church on that narrow road and an artic turned down the road and there was a collision with a friend of mine, an elderly man who was driving people home from a night out in ballywilliam to cassagh, luckily there were no injuries, but the car is more or less a write off

This is extremely serious, I'm really surprised (or am I) that the Gardai are not doing anything about it.

Ridiculous.

their useless thats why, they'd rather a nice handy number like give out a few tax fines or the like, anything serious or that takes a bit of time like waiting around to catch the culprits and their nowhere to be seen. I mean its not as if they'd have to stay out there long, its happening every single night, surely if they waited out there 1 full night they would catch whoever is at it. This really is going to take a fatal accident for them to do somthing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

germanator wrote: »
    their useless thats why, they'd rather a nice handy number like give out a few tax fines or the like, anything serious or that takes a bit of time like waiting around to catch the culprits and their nowhere to be seen. I mean its not as if they'd have to stay out there long, its happening every single night, surely if they waited out there 1 full night they would catch whoever is at it. This really is going to take a fatal accident for them to do somthing about it

I think you should copy and paste the important replies in this thread and mail a copy over to the New Ross Echo and Standard (it is called the Standard in Ross aint it?) today and let them highlight the situation and how long it has been going on without action from the Gardai. It's highly possible that the culprit or their family aren't aware of this conversation here and bringing it into the public eye would get some memories jogging or it may even weed the culprit out.

on the way from wexford last night about 1.30am and surprise surprise, as i came around the bend at the bottom of hill 2 artic lorries were stopped, facing each other and the 2 drivers were out moving the cones which had been set up in a few places to divert traffic travelling both ways onto the middle lane!! As we drove on, just nearing the end of the roadworks on the ross side there was about 50-60 cones just threw across the road completely blocking it, the driver of the lorry and i had to get out to move them out of the way which took a good 5-10 mins. absolutley rediculous that this is still happening after 3 weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Trevor Kent

Ian7 wrote: »
    I think you should copy and paste the important replies in this thread and mail a copy over to the New Ross Echo and Standard (it is called the Standard in Ross aint it?) today and let them highlight the situation and how long it has been going on without action from the Gardai. It's highly possible that the culprit or their family aren't aware of this conversation here and bringing it into the public eye would get some memories jogging or it may even weed the culprit out.

Good idea as that is, but I cant see our local papers ousting our local cops.

I think something should be done though, a very serious accident is on the cards.

exactly, i bet if it was somthing the cops actually did do though it would have a big write up, when they do nothing on the other hand its kept quite! What can be done though as the gardai clearly have better things to do like sit in the station stuffing their faces!! Im surprised the company working there have not got a security person there to keep an eye on things even for a night or 2 as its happening for hours on end every single night.
    I wonder what would happen if there was a serious accident, who would be found at fault if cars were diverted into the wrong lanes and hit each other?

• Advertisement

germanator wrote: »
    exactly, i bet if it was somthing the cops actually did do though it would have a big write up, when they do nothing on the other hand its kept quite! What can be done though as the gardai clearly have better things to do like sit in the station stuffing their faces!! Im surprised the company working there have not got a security person there to keep an eye on things even for a night or 2 as its happening for hours on end every single night.
    I wonder what would happen if there was a serious accident, who would be found at fault if cars were diverted into the wrong lanes and hit each other?

Very good question. Insurance wise it would prob be 50/50, unless they could prove who moved the cones or summit.

Who is the company that's doing the roadworks.

I'm sure both they and the NRA would be interested to hear about this matter, even if the Gardai don't seem to be taking it very seriously.

Would you not try contact both of them and tell them?

just passed in the road from wexford and again the cones are out on the road diverting traffic coming from both directions onto the middle lane, large arrow signs are also moved tonight... jesus these people spend more time out there than the actuall workers!! Sad is not the word for them now at this stage

Ya report it?

i didnt but the driver following me was ringing to report it while we were out moving the cones, i told him i couldnt be arsed at this stage, ive rang 3 timnes in total

I'm going out on a limb here but.....

This thread is turning nonsensical and farcical if one doesn't mind me saying so.

Call up the flippin contractor and the NRA NOT the Gardai and ask their take on it, or is there a subtext about slagging off the Gardai.

Just call the contractor and the NRA and get their take on it advising them you contacted the Gardai and they are not interested. Someone could die - do we all want an "I told you so" situation?

Prevention better than cure, apparentely

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

vicwatson wrote: »
    I'm going out on a limb here but.....

This thread is turning nonsensical and farcical if one doesn't mind me saying so.

Call up the flippin contractor and the NRA NOT the Gardai and ask their take on it, or is there a subtext about slagging off the Gardai.

Just call the contractor and the NRA and get their take on it advising them you contacted the Gardai and they are not interested. Someone could die - do we all want an "I told you so" situation?

Prevention better than cure, apparentely

Good advice,the onus is on the contractor to leave the area in a safe state.I worked on roads for a good while and it got to the stage in one town that we had to nail the cones to the road to stop them being tampered with (2 ended up being thrown through the windscreens of parked cars)

Even so,the gardai had been informed on several occasions as some posts here attest to but seemed to do nothing about it.

Here's the guy to contact in the NRA.

For Infrastructure Road Safety enquiries concerning National Roads please contact

Harry Cullen
    Senior Project Manager (Road safety)
    Telephone: +353 1 6602511 Ext. 265
    Fax: +353 1 6680009

Tried to reply on the other thread but couldnt. Ive just contacted the number you gave Zerks and they gave me another number to call and i did and gave them all the details, we had a bit of a discussion about it and they said they would get in contact with the company doing the work but they said the problem is the signs must be set up and diversions run properly while the workers are there, but once they set the roadsigns up correctly and go home basically its not their responsibility to keep a check on them all through the night, the only reason they may have a security person there is to keep an eye on machinery or tools or anything they have there. They said the contractor may decide to appoint someone there, but they are NOT obliged to have someone there just to keep an eye on the signs! They said whats happening can incur a criminal proceeding by the gardai if they are caught and he said the best outcome would be if the culprits did actually get caught! So the best thing is to warn anyone you know to be driving that road and especially in the night of the danger.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

MOD Note.

I have deleted some comments and opened up this thread again as it is a very useful thread.
    But any more Smart remarks towards the Gardai the thread will be locked and I will be dishing out Infractions.
    There are a few posts here that need to be edited so please read your comments and make changes.

Love them or hate them but imagine what way would society be without the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Mod Warning.

Any more negative comments towards the Gardai on this thread and it will be closed permanently and Posters will be punished.

Advertisement