Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks danger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cheers for reopening, can I make a suggestion? Infract those that ignore your comments BUT please leave the thread open for those that want to behave and have no alterior motive but to slag off the Gardai.

I thinks it's a valuable thread to have until such time as the roadworks are completed or until the pepetrator(s) are caught.

Just my twopence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

just back from wexford again and its a first there were no cones moved, although there was a car stopped up ahead of me which i didnt see until it turned its lights on and drove off at speed in towards ross as i came near it, i dont know what they were at but didnt look like they were up to any good, it could be the people moving the signs that had just went to start doing it at that time...

cones moved again last night, taxi driver was telling me he was travelling from the horse and hound to ross and back out for more people and he did this 4 times out and 4 times back and every time he passed the cones were moved back out on the road, even on the return journey so thats a total of 8 times he passed and the cones were moved back out each time!! He got out to move them a few times and a few times there were cars already stopped ahead of him moving them

just another warning folks if anyones travelling to work early in the morning, cones are set directing traffic from ross into the opposite side of the road and travelling from wexford they are set directing traffic down a very narrow side road across from cushinstown church, and a taxi driver told me last night the cones were directing traffic into the hard shoulder and on the hard shoulder there were a number of short planks of wood with nails hammered up through them at an angle set across the road, he narrowly avoided running over them and moved pushed them into the ditch

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Anything in the local papers about this today?

• Advertisement

havnt got the papers yet but will soon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A fortnight since this thread was started & this stuff is still going on & getting worse-planks with nails now,as if directing traffic to meet head on isn't bad enough.

A couple of cars (not unmarked Garda cars as any eejit can spot 'em) with Gardai in them hidden discreetly might catch the perpatrators.
    I hope they do get caught & have the book thrown at them.Some of what's happened could be deemed attempted murder.

well im very very surprised that nobody has been seriously injured yet, i mean its a busy main road thats never empty, its bound to happen sooner or later. all it would take is 1 full night of somebody keeping watch out there as its happening every single night, and they would surely be caught

This is Ireland and once again it shows the authorities don't care/are unwilling to do something about it until someone dies, so then we can all breath a collective "we told you so" under our breaths and life will go on..that's Ireland for you.

What about once last roll of the dice and contact the County Council who I'm sure are the people that are paying the road contractors and tell them about it? OR have you done that too?

no i havnt contacted the council i just rang the gardai a few times and also rang the number for the road safety that zerks gave! But im sure im not the only one who has rang up about it, and surely someone else is ringing some different places aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 wolverette

This was covered in the New Ross Echo last week, (and with a picture), I read it and thought who could be so stupid and insensitive, from my recollections three people have died on that particular stretch of road in the last couple of years.

wolverette wrote: »
    This was covered in the New Ross Echo last week, (and with a picture), I read it and thought who could be so stupid and insensitive, from my recollections three people have died on that particular stretch of road in the last couple of years.

Linky to article?

Here's the article, New Ross Echo March 15th 2012

http://www.newrossecho.ie/news/eymhcwojsn/

15 March 2012

Cones are being switched on N25

THE GARDAI and members of the public have expressed concerned that an innocent motorist will be killed as a result of people deliberately trying to make oncoming traffic collide with each other at road works on the N25 approach to New Ross.

The roadworks have been taking place at Begerin Hill over the last few weeks. During daylight hours, when workers are on site, traffic travelling in the area is controlled by a large amount of bollards placed along the stretch of road.

However, over the last week-and-a-half the bollards have been moved at night which has resulted in some close-calls in terms of vehicles almost colliding with each other as they travel to-and-from New Ross.

Insp. Mick Walsh confirmed to the New Ross Echo that he had received “several reports” in relation to the matter from concerned motorists. The incidents have been occurring in the very early hours of Saturday and Sunday morning over the last two weekends.

A number of people also contacted the New Ross Echo to express their concern over the issue.

“There have been some very close calls and if this keeps happening someone is going to have a serious accident out there,” said one caller.

A journalist from this newspaper was travelling from Wexford to New Ross late one night recently and had to stop because the carriageway was blocked by bollards and to avoid them would have meant crossing over into the opposite lane and into the path of oncoming traffic.

Insp. Walsh made an appeal for whoever is moving the bollards to “desist from doing so” before someone gets hurt or killed.

“We got calls coming in between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m.,” he said.

“I would appeal to whoever is doing it to desist before a serious accident occurs.” Insp. Walsh also said that if the matter remains ongoing the culprits will be caught and “the full rigours of the law will be applied”.

Sgt. Eddie Wilde also spoke to the New Ross Echo about the matter. He said that those responsible could possibly be charged with endangering traffic which carries a sentence of around five years.

It’s also been reported that night time reflectors placed on top of the bollards for safety at night have also been removed.

Anyone with information about the matter is asked to contact New Ross Gardai in strict confidence on 051-421204.

Germanator the quote "The incidents have been occurring in the very early hours of Saturday and Sunday morning over the last two weekends." Is this true? I thought it was also occuring during the week AS WELL? Maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wolverette

Sorry new to boards.ie, haven't a clue how to do links!:confused:

wolverette wrote: »
    Sorry new to boards.ie, haven't a clue how to do links!:confused:

No problem I found it and posted it above anyway.

Welcome to boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

He's appealing for them to stop doing it? Surprised he didn't say pretty please.

With all due respect to the Guards, they know when and where it's happening, should they not be out there at that time to maybe stop the fcukers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dori Dude

Ledger wrote: »
    With all due respect to the Guards, they know when and where it's happening, should they not be out there at that time to maybe stop the fcukers?

+1

It's beyond me how these lads are able to move the cones every night and not be seen.

yes, its definitly been happening during the week aswell as i have witnessed it myself and it was even the middle of last week it was on south east radio and the broadcaster said he came upon the moved cones himself that morning on the way to work! Mabey the majority of reports of it are on the weekend as theres more traffic late those nights such as the taxi's and the like.

small accident again out there at half 3 this morning ive been told, both directiond diverted into the one lane again, luckily just minor damage to both cars and no injuries. And by the looks of it someone had a collision with the cones aswell mabey trying to avoid an oncoming car or somthing, but there are a number of cones flattened into the side where the diversion was

just home from wexford again guys and cones directing traffic coming from ross onto the opposite lane to meet traffic coming from wexford. I was in a line of 6 cars when the front one braked hard as there was a car coming towards us on the wrong side right on the brow of the hill nearly causing a pile up. The first 2 cars stopped and the drivers got out and moved the cones which were set up on the start of the roadworks on the ross side, one of them also rang the gardai! Then on the straight stretch of road before coming to the roundabout at the top of the town the whole road was completely blocked by cones and 2 large orange roadwork signs across the 2 lanes which i got out and moved with 3 others.

Absolutly rediculous that this is still happening and if anything seems to be getting worse, i really dont know how nobody has been killed!!!

• Advertisement

The first 2 cars stopped and the drivers got out and moved the cones which were set up on the start of the roadworks on the ross side, one of them also rang the gardai!

What did the Gardai say?

Typical of this country that no one will take control of the situation - The Gardai, Wexford County Council, The NRA and the contractors themselves.

A side issue but what the hell are they doing to the road anyway?

i dont know been honest, i didnt wait around there just continued on my way as soon as the way was clear, all i heard was him giving details of the cones being moved and where exactly it was!

As far as i can see there is nothing being done by anyone to stop this, its going on about a month now and no sign of letting up, i dont know how these people are not been seen at least as its a regular thing now at this stage.

I havnt a clue whats been done there, all i can see is the ditches are cleared on both sides and a fence put up in place, but i dont know why this is being done???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

germanator wrote: »
    I havnt a clue whats been done there, all i can see is the ditches are cleared on both sides and a fence put up in place, but i dont know why this is being done???

I've been told by my local councillor that "they're wasting money"! All the NRAs doing rather than the county council. My initial hopes were that they'd re-open the westbound overtaking lane on Begerin Hill but it doesn't seem to be happening so what is the point?

I've seen a solid concrete fence being removed and replaced by an inferior wooden fence that'll no doubt rot and need replacing in 5 years...what's the point in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

ive been told today its somthing to do with the ploughing match, their making extra space for access and car parking, dont know how true this is....

i dont know why they removed the o/t lane anyway, it was stupid, and even more stupid was removing the 1 coming up the hill out of town, absolutly rediculous often driving up there at 5-10 mph the whole way up to the roundabout in the day, i dont even bother anymore i go up through the town. A very stupid thing to do especially with lorries leaving nolans yard and travelling up the hill all day every day

germanator wrote: »
    and even more stupid was removing the 1 coming up the hill out of town, absolutly rediculous often driving up there at 5-10 mph the whole way up to the roundabout in the day, i dont even bother anymore i go up through the town. A very stupid thing to do especially with lorries leaving nolans yard and travelling up the hill all day every day

Obvious reason is reckless overtaking and speed . Even with single-lane traffic , the speed cameras catch many ( trucks especially going down-hill )

Look again while going up the hill , theres at least one memorial there too .

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭acein1

allthedoyles. thank you for posting that video, i realy appreciate it as i dont live in ireland at the moment,but i have being reading about it on " boards ie", and it gives me some idea of what is realy going on.
    there realy are some headcases around in the south east at this moment in time ,something realy has to be done,b/4 its to late, thanks again :(

This is the same road today . - but heading towards Ballinaboola :

yes but its absolutely rediculous having a line of traffic as far as can be seen travelling at 5mph up the hill with no way to legally overtake, this is the kind of thing that causes reckless driving. As long as i remember there was never any accidents on the 2 lanes going up the hill out of ross, there is a monument on the opposite side which was a sidney girl that died but that was on the single lane into town. But the only part of that hill where there was any accidents was at the cross road at the top where the roundabout is now, thats because stupidly the 2 lanes were still there going through the crossroad and if you were pulling out traffic in the overtaking lane was hidden by the inside lane traffic. Even what they did first was a good idea, they kept the 2 lanes as far as lake region then entered into just the 1 lane. But there are never any speed vans on that part of the road anyway.

But as for the roadworks it seems the only time this is going to end is when the roadworks are finished!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Obvious reason is reckless overtaking and speed . Even with single-lane traffic , the speed cameras catch many ( trucks especially going down-hill )

Look again while going up the hill , theres at least one memorial there too .

There are no speed camera locations on the New Ross 'bypass' section of the N25 that have had the overtaking lanes removed. The only speed camera van location is on the East side of the roundabout at the N25/N30 junction. This junction has seen a few accidents and deaths....before it became a roundabout. These unfortunate deaths were used as the justification for removing the overtaking lanes and then many months/years later the roundabout was installed. So in my opinion the installation of the roundabout negates the risks that existed before which saw 4 lanes of traffic on the N25 converging with poor sight lines with a major T junction for the N30.

The speed limit on the New Ross N25 section is 100KPH. I can't remember the last time I've ever been able to maintain this speed on this section of road due to either a lorry or someone going 50kph. The hatched section at the bottom of the hill really has no reason to be hatched and should be an overtaking lane to at least give you a chance to overtake a lorry that's accelerating after pulling out from Nolans.

To be honest I'd be much happier driving through New Ross if they reinstated the overtaking lanes on the hill and dropped the speed limit to 80 or 60kph - even at 60kph, if you can overtake you'll be travelling much faster than 10 - 20kph behind a tractor or lorry.

Advertisement