Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks danger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

germanator wrote: »
    ive been told today its somthing to do with the ploughing match, their making extra space for access and car parking, dont know how true this is....

Unfortunately this probably isn't true. The ploughing match is being held near Ballinaboola. Parking for the attendees will be in the Heathpark, Moorfields, Bushpark areas and the traffic plan proposes the access routes will be from Ballinaboola and Carrickbyrne from the N25.

The exhibition itself will be held in Heathpark (partly on my parents farm actually).

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

exactly!! The only words to describe taking the overtaking lane from there are complete stpidity!! i dread having to go up there during the day, id be quicker to jog up it!!
    The only time you'll ever reach even near the 100kph speed limit up there is late in the night when theres no other traffic and that is a fact!

Im just waiting on the overtaking lane to be removed on the hill at the ross side of the roadworks, im actually surprised they havnt done it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Im just waiting on the overtaking lane to be removed on the hill at the ross side of the roadworks, im actually surprised they havnt done it yet!

Give them a chance! They probably have to order in a special consignment of white paint to make a huge hatched section all the way up the hill. ;)

The NRA have a weird opinion of safety in my opinion. Removing designated safe areas to overtake slow moving vehicles only results in people taking more risky overtaking manoeuvres on the limited straight sections of the N25 between Ballinaboola and New Ross.

now your talkin!! thats exactly my view on it, people are only getting frustrated being stuck in a line of traffic moving at mabey 10mph and are taking risks to overtake going up the hill or else speeding when they get onto the straight stretch of the road to make up for the 10mins it took them to travel 1 mile of a hill ;) there was never any problems there so why not leave well enough alone!

was passing the roadworks this morning and it seems they may be putting back the overtaking lane coming from wexford as they are laying new tarmac to the left making the road wider, could be wrong though!
    On another note i was talking to a friend who is a fireman today and he said they were called out this morning to wash a road outside new ross where someone had deliberitly poured gallons of oil on the road right on a dangerous bend and had caused a few accidents, luckily none serious. Are these people really trying to kill someone with what their doing!??? I wonder if its the same crowd....

• Advertisement

At it again last night, on the way from wexford towards ross just at cushinstown church there was a very large metal sign on the middle of the road diverting traffic onto the opposite lane in the path of oncoming traffic, i went out around but then cut back in to the correct side, but a car ahead of me did not and narrowly missed colliding with a car coming in the opposite direction and smashed through a number of cones to pull in out of the way. He pulled in and i could see he was on the phone and he must of rang the gardai as when i was nearer town they passed me heading out that way!! I wonder will they do somthing about it now!??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This is crazy stuff and still nothing done,if it was the M50 we'd have seen someone caught by now.It's just sheer luck that nobody has been killed.

This isn't a bit of craic,it's attempted murder:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

At it again last night, on the way from wexford towards ross just at cushinstown church there was a very large metal sign on the middle of the road diverting traffic onto the opposite lane in the path of oncoming traffic, i went out around but then cut back in to the correct side, but a car ahead of me did not and narrowly missed colliding with a car coming in the opposite direction and smashed through a number of cones to pull in out of the way. He pulled in and i could see he was on the phone and he must of rang the gardai as when i was nearer town they passed me heading out that way!! I wonder will they do somthing about it now!??

They (meaning Gardai/Local Authority/NRA/Contractor) are not going to do anything about it until someone has a serious accident/is killed.:mad:

We know that by now.

Just make sure it's not you that becomes the statistic.

Hear anymore about what was said on South East Radio a week back?

unfortunatly still no change, just came in the road not 20mins ago and traffic diverted into each others path again, i got out and moved the cones and sign but no doubt they were moved back again before i got home!

Hey Germanator. Maybe someone sees you going to wex. and then moves the cones in time for your return journey.

Have you any enemies out there :D

• Advertisement

LOL, if they are their very dedicated :)

But seriously though they must have very sad lives if they can stay out there all night every night doing the same thing, its 5 weeks going on now!!

Can't wait the roadworks are finished. Anyone else? he he ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We may wait for 'germanator ' to pass through in the small hours of the morning before we pass judgement .

The gremlins may still be out there !:)

I hope they have removed the dangerous over-taking lane ...........There's enough memorials on that stretch already .

im actually feeling like a broken record because i might aswell just copy and paste the posts each night.. theres not one night ive passed through since that the cones havnt been moved, ive passed through the last 3 nights in a row including tonight and they were moved, and its the same thing every time, traffic being diverted into the one lane to meet each other!! well ive done more than my bit, ive rang the Gardai numerous times, and ive contacted the road safety place that the number was posted up few weeks ago and none has made any difference so ive just got used to it at this stage and be careful driving through and know when not to follow the cones like alot of people have had to do i should think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Trevor Kent

im actually feeling like a broken record because i might aswell just copy and paste the posts each night.. theres not one night ive passed through since that the cones havnt been moved, ive passed through the last 3 nights in a row including tonight and they were moved, and its the same thing every time, traffic being diverted into the one lane to meet each other!! well ive done more than my bit, ive rang the Gardai numerous times, and ive contacted the road safety place that the number was posted up few weeks ago and none has made any difference so ive just got used to it at this stage and be careful driving through and know when not to follow the cones like alot of people have had to do i should think!!

This is getting a bit mad now. So its happening before 1.30am practically every night. Basically, if the cops wanted to catch these guys, all they need do is head out after 11pm, hide out somewhere and wait.

Anyone up for a stakeout??? lol.

thats exactly all they'd need to do!! Well im usually passing at around 1 or 2 am but theres other people that have told me its happened before this and more have told me its been happening after this aswell, for instance the broadcaster on South East Radio said they were changed diverting onto 1 lane at 6am when he was travelling to work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Trevor Kent

Could have been changed from the night before though.

Love to set up an auld camera at the location, catch the bugger in the act.

could be, but anytime ive come upon them ive either moved them or another car in front has moved them and like the taxi driver was telling me everytime he passed he would move them and 5 mins later and he passing back they would be back out again!! And the night i went out and passed out i moved them and passing back they were out again!

Agreed ... To solve most cases , don't the investigators look within first .

The victim usually knows the perpatrator .

I reckoned all along that this stretch of road is very familiar with the wrong-doer

well thats what im thinking all along, the person/people doing this i would put money on it they live on that road, thats why their not seen and why they can stay doing it all night, because after all this length surely they or their car would be seen. I mean if their in their car someone would see the car constantly going in and out the road i would think. But if they live near and are on foot, well thats a different story!!

• Advertisement

I'd say the net is closing in .

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I'd say the net is closing in .
    Unemployed white male, 25 to 35, socially awkward, impotent, gsoh, into cars, travel and plastic fetish: and that's just me!

Seriously though, He has to be living very local, gets to lie in regularly, lives alone? L
    ost his licence/Friend/family member to alcohol? Did i mention socially awkward? Its a bit like guess who. Presumably if a "hunting party" went out and happened upon him, he'd be fair game for lynching?

just been talking to the taxi driver mate of mine over town a little while ago and he said he had just gone out to cassagh to drop a few people out and the cones were moved and he going out, he got out and moved them as they were directing traffic into one lane again right on the bend on the wexford side of the hill, when he was returning 10mins later they were moved back out in the same position again!! So id say if anyone wants to catch them tonights as good as any :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Check the ditches either side of the road along the affected stretch. Skulking there, I'll wager.

I'M up for a stake out, anyone else?

We know the place, lets take the law into our own hands to avoid a death?

:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek:

........not advisable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

I was talking to a New Ross based Garda mate last night over a brew and asked him about this vandalism. He said they're driven mad by it but they're unable to stick around as they have a backlog of calls and only a couple of squad cars. He likened catching them in the act to finding the proverbial in the haystack.

if someone went steaking out and not even catch the person/people but say recorded them in the act and they didnt know, they would get some shock when the gardai call to them with the video :D

surprise surprise, their at it again tonight, just came in the road now and cones diverting traffic into one lane as usuall!! There also seems to be a number of broken cones scattered on the road as if somebody ran into them

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Reading this from afar.
    A sad state of affairs to see this carry on but shocking that it has gone on for several weeks and that Gardai are so strapped for resources now. Perhaps even admitting it off the record plays into the hands of vagabonds.
    It seems a direct challenge to Law & Order.

Agree with the video idea - now those mini dash cameras with night IR can be found for 20 ~30 Euro. Even the mention of surveillance in operation might be a deterrent.
    I once heard that 7 out of 10 speed cameras in UK may just be an empty 'shoebox' - it's the message they infer.

May be disaffected local youths - but could it also be a more sinister but classic cops and robbers plot by professionals. Create a decoy or diversion at A whilst robbing bank at B.
    Has there been a crime spike in other areas of SEast - car theft, B&E, drug shipments - who knows?

Anyhow, like the ' Virgil's Auntie' idea - if caught, give them a fair trial and string up the b'stards!

• Advertisement

well i do know there are alot of robberies, especially home heating oil thefts. There was also a local buisness robbed of thousands of euros worth of power tools recently, and an ex garda's brand new car burnt out 2 weeks ago at his house! But i dont know if these would be connected as the roadwork incident's are happening all night every single night! And there was also an incident last week where somebody poured gallons of oil on a dangerous bend which caused a few minor accidents until fire crew went out to clean the road the next morning

Advertisement