Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you keep the €300 if you found it?

• 27-02-2012 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Well, might as well stick up a poll for this one. If you found money on the street, say anywhere from €100 upwards or whatever, would you hand it in to a station or keep it for yourself??

Personally, I subscribe to the principal of 'Finders Keepers Losers Weepers' despite how childish it is.

I'm going to lose something in the future for someone else's gain, it's happened already, what comes around goes around. :cool:

So what would you do?

Would you hand in money to a station?? 101 votes

Absolutely - it's the moral thing to do
    0% 0 votes
    Never - I'd keep it for myself
    56% 57 votes
    I'd leave the money where it was (??)
    43% 44 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

in before lock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Try to get it back to the person that lost it. Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

I'd keep it. If I handed it in to the the garda station it would only end up in one of the gards back pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

I'd feel like a prick if I hung onto it, it could belong to someone so much worse off than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I would like to think I would give it up, But honestly it be depending on my personal financial situation at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I wouldn't hand it in to a station but would attempt to find the owner. Put an ad up in shops in the vicinity and the lost and found section of the local papers. If it wasn't claimed I would happily spend it but couldn't enjoy spending it if I didn't at least attempt to find the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'd give it back because I'd picture some old fella suffering in a cold flat because of losing his pension.

FU conscience. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I'd hide in a bush, put the money on a string and watch the chaos unfold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I had to check poll was private before I voted :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'd keep it and tell everyone here on boards :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Where To wrote: »
    I had to check poll was private before I voted :p

It doesn't really matter...nothing is ever 100% private...

I'd hand it in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

I'd put it on a horse, maybe an evens shot and if God has a conscience he will make it win and I'd give back the €300 and have €300 for myself.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I think it depends on the manner how it's found. If its found on a premises, I'll hand it in. If its the side of the road and no idea where it came from, I'll probably hold onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I would put up a notice in local shops saying 'sum of money found' and explaining that if someone wanted to claim it they would need to be able to state amount, domination, date lost, etc. Give it a month and if nobody genuine replies spend it on coke and hookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I would put up a notice in local shops saying 'sum of money found' and explaining that if someone wanted to claim it they would need to be able to state amount, domination, date lost, etc. Give it a month and if nobody genuine replies spend it on coke and hookers.

This. I wouldn't hand it in anywhere because somebody would just pocket it, but I would make an effort to find the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would hand it in. I have been in the situation where I lost a wallet with a large sum of money in that was handed into a Garda Station and they moved heaven and earth to trace me from a limited amount of infor that was in the wallet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I once found a wallet a that contained around €1500. Tracked down the owner; a man in his eighties, he handed me a euro for my efforts!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

but we're not talking about a wallet, we're talking about money with no id or way to trace the owner.

If it were a wallet I'd return it without a second thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

If it was just in an envelope I'd hang onto it. There's not a hope that I'd give it into a garda station, it'd be put straight into the guards back pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Have found a good bit of money over the years and I always handed it in.

Would always consider that the person who lost it might be much worse off than me.

Oh yeah, and that it would be immoral to hang onto it of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

If it was in a wallet with I.D. I'd ring them and tell them I found it or whip it in the post to them.

If I just found €300 and there was no reasonable way of tracing the owner I'd hold onto it. You hand it in anywhere there's a good chance that someone else is gonna keep it so why not me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

If there was no indication of the owner and no way of tracking them down then I would keep it.

If you hand it in to the nearest shop or Garda station then whoever is on the desk will keep the money themselves.

If you put a notice up nearby 'money found' then you'll just have chancers and time-wasters calling.

As mentioned, if all there was was the cash and a blank envelope I reckon I'd hold on to it. One thing I'm sure of is that I wouldn't start a thread on Boards about it.

Early childhood memory: I was about 6 and at the races with my grandparents. In the men's, while relieving myself in one cubicle I could see a 20 pound note on the ground in the next. I couldn't finish quick enough to get in and grab the cash. But I must have had a sudden attack of conscience because there was a guy washing his hands at the sink and I held up the 20 and asked 'Is this yours?' Oh man, I can remember the gleam in his eyes so clearly. When I told my nana, she laughed and told me I'd a lot to learn. Hope that guy went on to turn that 20 into 2000!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Well, might as well stick up a poll for this one. If you found money on the street, say anywhere from €100 upwards or whatever, would you hand it in to a station or keep it for yourself??

Personally, I subscribe to the principal of 'Finders Keepers Losers Weepers' despite how childish it is.

I'm going to lose something in the future for someone else's gain, it's happened already, what comes around goes around. :cool:

So what would you do?

If its less than a few hundred its probably not belonging to someone who can afford to lose it so I'd hand it into a Garda station but I'd be taking the Garda's name too as I wouldn't want him to feck it. If it was a lot of money in a wallet with a gold card or other signs of wealth then I suppose yea its finders keepers.

I found a junkies lair down in the bottom ditches before and it was some sight, Empty wallets, Driving licences, Bank cards the lot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

A man dropped money on the street, €60 in 2 20's a 2 10's. He was rushing for the bus though. I kept it because of that.

But if a person dropped their wallet, or mobile or anything and wasn't in a rush i'd give it to them. My Father received a call once at home from a stranger, she founds my sisters phone and called "Home" on it, my Sister got her phone back :)

I'm sure the man is OK now though, €60 isn't too big a blow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I found a small brown envelope outside an Aldi store a couple of years ago. As well as notes it had some coins in it. I was tempted because as you all know cash is hard to come by. I didn't actually count and never knew the amount until I went into the store (after much deliberation). It seems a lady had lost her pay packet and was frantic looking for it. I don't know how it caught my eye because it was just sitting on the side of the road. It was one of the managers that told me the lady was in a short while beforehand scouring the store for the envelope.

I never got to speak to this lady but from what the manager told me, she was in pieces because it was her weeks wages. To answer, no I wouldn't keep it. I'd have a clear conscience and hand it in to the cops or where ever, regardless of wheres its going to end up. To some, €300 is nothing but to most its the difference from going hungry for the week or not paying the bills. I won't pass judgement on anyone who decides to keep it. That's between themselves and what they consider is right in this messed up world of ours. (I am not taking the moral high ground btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

id do the right thing and hand it in to paddy power or boylesports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I think I would say to people that I would hand it in but it becomes a different situation when you have the cash in your hand. Too tempting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I'd ring the local radio station and ask them to broadcast it for a while without naming the some of money. If said person called and and stated how much and where the money was lost I'd gladly give it back.

• Advertisement

A man dropped money on the street, €60 in 2 20's a 2 10's. He was rushing for the bus though. I kept it because of that.

But if a person dropped their wallet, or mobile or anything and wasn't in a rush i'd give it to them. My Father received a call once at home from a stranger, she founds my sisters phone and called "Home" on it, my Sister got her phone back :)

I'm sure the man is OK now though, €60 isn't too big a blow.

Not sure if trolling. You say it's OK to keep the money because he was in a rush? What difference in the world does that make? Instead of saying "Hey you dropped money" you might have to raise your voice a little? Solid logic there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

nuxxx wrote: »
    I'd ring the local radio station and ask them to broadcast it for a while without naming the some of money. If said person called and and stated how much and where the money was lost I'd gladly give it back.

But how would they know where it was lost?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I've found phones old and new. The ne iPhone when it was out about 1 week. I've always given them back to the owner. I would ring Home or Mum or Dad etc. Or hand in behind the bar if found in a pub.

I once found 350 on a street and I picked it up. No envelope or w/e. Must have fallen from a pocket. Looked around and noone seemed to be looking for it. I figured the chance of finding the rightful owner was slim to none and didn't trust handing it in to the guards so I kept it. I was stuck for money at the time so I paid the bills and had a pint :D Maybe that was karma paying me back for always handing peoples **** in when found.

If it had been in a wallet with ID I would have given it back somehow as there would be a chance someone could recognise the person for me or an address in the wallet.

But how would they know where it was lost?

A general location would do, i.e. Shopping Center, some area of a town. Obviously they wouldn't know the exact location :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

€20 or less I'd keep it. Anything more and I'd do my best to find the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Buy something worth €300,hold a raffle for it,keep the profits and return the money. Ala it was only resting in my account!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

When I was about 8/9 i found £250 on the shop floor, had a think and was going to keep it but the brain said hand it in, handed it in to the owner and about 2 hours later there was a knock at my front door and I was given £20 for handing it in, it was one of my neighbours.

Often i do find €10/€20 in work and hand it in on the front desk, the send around emails etc and 30 days later hand me an envelope in it with the money if it is not collected.

I know if i lost that kind of money I would be raging so thats why I hand it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

I'd be tempted to start another thread titled:
    "Would you REALLY hand in €300?? Really?? Reaaallly?? Bills, Mortgage etc??"

I bet the results would change :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

99% of the time I'd give it in.
    It would probably mean more to someone else then me , i'm pretty lucky with a job etc.
    I don't have a very high opinion of the guards , but I think most of them would log it properly.
    They are paid pretty well and must have some sort of inclination towards helping people before they joined.

If I found it at horse-race though I'd keep it :)

Advertisement