Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting at Ohio school, one student dead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Shucks, those crazy Americans are at it agin, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Shame. What a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Does anyone know the procedure for obtaining a gun over there?

This kind of **** happens way too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

AnamGlas wrote: »

Collect the backs of cereal boxes and send them in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ref=+431753&_refineresult=true&search_query=guns&ic=16_0&_refineresult=true&search_constraint=4125&_mm=5up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I think every state is different, not too sure, but the problem must be a lot deeper than just obtaining a gun. Is it Switzerland who has the highest guns per capita and one of the lowest murder rates in the world:confused:

But bringing in some strict gun laws would obviously help. They won't do it however. Watch, Gun rally in Ohio buy this time next week I bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

I think every state is different, not too sure, but the problem must be a lot deeper than just obtaining a gun. Is it Switzerland who has the highest guns per capita and one of the lowest murder rates in the world:confused:

But bringing in some strict gun laws would obviously help. They won't do it however. Watch, Gun rally in Ohio buy this time next week I bet.
    Switzerland has compulsary military training for everyone, and a standard issue gun for self defence, or something like that I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Yes it varies from state to state,in Georgia all you need is a driving license and a clear record which they check over the phone from the gun shop, all in all you can get any gun on display in under 20 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Go to the closet and grab the gun paw hides inbetween the sheets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

Human beings are not stable creatures by nature, kids or otherwise. Put them in close proximity with a gun and someone or something will get shot.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0227/breaking49.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Is it Switzerland who has the highest guns per capita and one of the lowest murder rates in the world:confused:

Yes it is Switzerland and do you want to know why gun crime is so low? Then try shooting someone with a Toblerone embedded in the roof of your mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Tell me why I don't like Mondays...............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Man I feel guilty. I was just reading about past school shootings earlier. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Fart wrote: »
    Man I feel guilty. I was just reading about past school shootings earlier. :(

yeah, I think you need to turn yourself in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

If all students carried guns then maybe some other kid would have shot him before he killed whoever he did. Although knowing American schools and the levels of bullying he may have been well justified in what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Its best they keep guns legal otherwise the bad guys will only have them :rolleyes:
    oh how I enjoy american logic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

In this case, apparently, 'steal from uncle.'

However, legally, the purchasor of a pistol must be 21 years of age. If purchased from a firearms dealer, a background check must also be passed.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

My son is trying to convince me to let him get an airsoft rifle. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If you believe he is of sufficient maturity and that you have taught him responsibility, why not? There are many ways to go about it, you don't have to just hand him a box of ammo and a rifle and say 'here you go son, have a blast.'

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

They should send Gay Byrne over there, he's great at ruining things, he would probably do the following :

New Advetisements on TV of dead victims caused by gun abuse
    New Penalty Point Gun System
    Signs in every gun range telling you how many people have died of guns this year
    He could also bring in some sort of NCT for your gun
    etc..
    etc...
    etc....
    etc....

knob end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Human beings are not stable creatures by nature, kids or otherwise. Put them in close proximity with a gun and someone or something will get shot.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0227/breaking49.html

...and, following that logic, we'd have to turn up at the Garda station to get our meat cut for us.

Advertisement