Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I sit the Irish Exam if I have an NUI Exemption?

• 27-02-2012 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My principal said to me that since I was born outside of the country I can get an exemption from the NUIs (UCD, NUIG, NUIM, UCC). I want to go to either UCD or NUIG. So is there any point in me sitting the Irish exam. My principal said that I will still get my leaving cert and all that jazz. Is there any reason that all you guys might have for me not to do it. I have until tomorrow to decide as he is sending the letter to the exam commission to remove irish from my list of subjects tomorrow.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

If it's a subject you feel you're capable of getting a decent grade in that you think you'd use for points then I don't see why you wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I've heard if you're exempt and do it anyway, you can count it as a "third"/foreign language. Not sure though. What M&S* said. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

If you have six subject that you feel you'll do better in, then there's no need to. But if you're good at Irish then go for it, it's a really nice subject now that the oral's worth 40%! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Irish is my worst subject in school and I am doing 8 subjects including french.
    Is there anything negative that can come from not doing Irish for the LC. Just want to make sure I am making the correct decision. UCD and NUIG say that I will get into my course with out Irish because I was born outside of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Is there anything negative that can come from not doing Irish for the LC.

Under normal circumstances there will be no immediate negative consequences from not doing Irish for the LC. Only positive as you will have more time for your points scoring subjects. Unless say you miss your english exam by some stroke of bad luck. Then some colleges will allow you to use a pass in irish instead.

In the long term there is a miniscule possibility the rules could be changed and say in 20 years you wanted a career change that involved doing a new undergraduate degree and the government of 2032 was extremely pro-irish so that they had told the NUIs to remove this exemption from people previously exempt or they would slash their research funding. Probably not something you need to be thinking about now :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Irish is my worst subject in school and I am doing 8 subjects including french.
    Is there anything negative that can come from not doing Irish for the LC. Just want to make sure I am making the correct decision. UCD and NUIG say that I will get into my course with out Irish because I was born outside of Ireland

Then don't do Irish. I see no negative from you dropping it, I've never heard of anyone regretting dropping it because they have an exemption. It'll give you more time to work on your other subjects. Unless you want to do primary teaching in Ireland there is no need for you to do the subject. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Do you qualify for the exemption from Irish?

My first 2 choices are UCD and NUIG also, I moved from England when I was 9ish so I don't qualify for the proper exemption.

Can I drop Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'd sit the ordinary Irish exam just in case. Do no study at all, just show up for it and you'll probably pass. Just in case you fail something else, you still want to have 6 subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

I had an exemption and sat it anyway but I was using it for points. If you're certain that it will be your worst subject and that you have no interest in doing any job that may require Irish - lots of civil service type things do, then don't do it. An alternative is just to stop working in it and sit it on the day if you'll still pass that way. Then at least you have it there if you need it.

I had a read and I don't think it's for me anyway.

• Advertisement

As long as you weren't born in the country you can get an NUI exemption. I moved back at a year old and would qualify for one!

lctake2 wrote: »
    As long as you weren't born in the country you can get an NUI exemption. I moved back at a year old and would qualify for one!

Oh yeah? I did hope I was reading the wrong thing :o

So do I simply post off the form on nui.ie and fill in sections A and B? simple as that?

Edit Forms are filled in and my birth cert is in the envelope ready to be posted off tomorrow. Hope this works cause I should be getting my Irish mock back this week and I definitely got an F. Although it wouldn't take much work at all to pass the oral/learn the stories and poems i'd still rather not do it, basically.

So glad I saw this thread. Thanks guys!

Really hope that you get it! That's what I was told anyway. But as I said I sat the exam anyway. I had a look at the form and all it seemed to want was your birth cert. Worth a shot anyway.

Advertisement