Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where Did You Hang Out As A Teen?

• 27-02-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

There was probably many places for us all but one would always stand out as the place you spent most time in after school or at the weekends.

For me it was Dundrum Bowl (now gone and part of Dundrum Town Centre) mostly playing Out Run and eyeing up Spanish students.

You?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

a bench in the Mill shopping centre in Clondalkin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

Parks, graveyards, chippers, alleyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

certainly wasn't just standing outside of a shop for hours on end like teens now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

The end of my right hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

Down the ball alley man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

phasers wrote: »
    a bench in the Mill shopping centre in Clondalkin.

The wall outside chartbusters and Q's :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ah I forgot the wall outside chartbusters! We went there on sunny days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Around the corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Yore ma's bed

White rock beach, kilbogget park or carriglea (where DLIADT is now). We had a swing in carriglea with two seats (branches!) and one of my friends ended up in hospital with bad concussion after I jumped too early and knocked her out of the tree. Oops!

Stillorgan leisureplex was in there too, was south dublin schools bowling champ in around 95!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Might give it a go the next time I'm down that way, for nostalgia. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

In Fritzl's basement. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

At a burlesque house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Yore ma's bed

Tell us more.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane

Ah Q's! We had the jingles that were played by the gambling machines memorised! 70's funk bringing sunshine to that godless place! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Wasn't allowed to loiter around public places in my youth. The closest I ever got to it was during my summer holidays, where we'd spend all day sitting on the wall by the beach.

JaneLane wrote: »
    Ah Q's! We had the jingles that were played by the gambling machines memorised! 70's funk bring sunshine to that godless place! :P

YOU CAN RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING RING MY BELL!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane

YOU CAN RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING RING MY BELL!

I would thank this a million times over if I could! hahaha flashbacks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Over at the local petrol station. I remember the old bags working in there used to tell us not to hang around outside. One night we weren't there and they got robbed and the next time we were over there we got "Where were ye last night, we wouldn't have been robbed if ye were here" :rolleyes:

On Saturdays it was off into town for a look around, home to listen to the second half of the Premiership games on 5 Live

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

'Hang out as a teen' sounds a bit Groovy Guidance Counselor doesn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Just around the estate, funnest times were when if your parents found out you went around the block you'd be in trouble. Good times but those days are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

orangutan_040508_narrowweb__300x388,0.jpg
    On a branch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Where's Morgan these days, I'd be very interested in hearing from him in this thread.

We had a huge football field near us, we hung there, or up in the "wildo"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

stovelid wrote: »
    'Hang out as a teen' sounds a bit Groovy Guidance Counselor doesn't it.

Would you prefer if I changed the title to 'loiter as an adolescent'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Might give it a go the next time I'm down that way, for nostalgia. :cool:

If ye see a girl walk past Chartbusters with black and white umbro football gear, give us a wave!

I used to hang out in a youth cafe after school. It was a great facility, kept us out of trouble for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

"The Hall", local church, and the phonebox.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    If ye see a girl walk past Chartbusters with black and white umbro football gear, give us a wave!

I used to hang out in a youth cafe after school. It was a great facility, kept us out of trouble for the most part.

haha, I'm only down that way every now and then to make sure the folks haven't forgotten me and empty out the bar in Quinlans. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Central Bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

We had loads of fields infront of the house many a nice roaring fire there, also there was the PNT where we lashed golfballs down the football pitch and swimming in the wildo come summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

pubs during daytime from the age of 15 playing pool, 18s discos and pubs partying from age 16. Worked till 10pm most nights from 16-18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

raheny village

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Quirkey's :o

I swear I'm not a skanger :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Around the corner at one of those bigish esb boxes some people had in corner gardens until they put a big steel pyramid on top so we couldn't sit on it. Spoil sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Love2love wrote: »

I hate that place, my 12 year old loves it. But thankfully we only pass it 5 or 6 times a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

FatherLen wrote: »
    certainly wasn't just standing outside of a shop for hours on end like teens now.
    I did, and that was over 20 years ago.

7 o'clock at the shops. After Home and Away. We would then decide what to do for the evening.

In the Summer we would play football for a few hours (suck it, professional footballers. We didn't do half time, get paid millions, or whine like little bitches when someone would tackle us).

Winter would involve just walking around in order to stay warm, or playing football on the road. Again, we would not whine when tackled.

Weekends were spent drinking by the banks of either the canal, the Rye or the Liffey.
    Yore ma's bed
    Yore ma's bush is hairy like yores lollolololollllllllll

Love2love wrote: »

****ing kip.
    Went there once and never returned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    There was probably many places for us all but one would always stand out as the place you spent most time in after school or at the weekends.

For me it was Dundrum Bowl (now gone and part of Dundrum Town Centre) mostly playing Out Run and eyeing up Spanish students.

You?

Out Run, lol, showing your age!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Played soccer on the local green and hung around the alley next to it when it got dark. Just general banter and getting rejected by girls.

The "residents committee" took a dislike to us loitering and went to the Evening Echo newspaper in cork who ran a front page story with big headline "DRUG ALLEY". We were all high on heroin the whole time apparently and drunk at all hours of the day and night. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I used to hang out me trousers.

Cos me Ma wasn't tall enough to reach the washing line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Out Run, lol, showing your age!

Best arcade game ever lad! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Ah Mullingar, as a teen you provided me with Dunnes (We didn't hang out in Dunnes but the shopping centre it was in you'd just say ya headin to Dunnes?) the park, the canal and on one occasion the railway tracks it was pretty looking at all the lights and whatnot, I was clearly also easily amused as a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Rock Garden, crown alley, central bank, pierrot snooker club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Used to hang around the bottom of the block of flats playing heads and volleys for hours or if it was too wet we would just sit on the stairs looking intimidating to people walking by, even though we were doing nothing.

Saturdays were spent hanging out in Skellys pool hall (site of the stardust incident) where about 10-15 of us would be gathered around one table playing winner stays on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Playland, FunPalace, Barneys and a few others round o'connell st. The Leisure down Rathmines, assorted laneways, parks for the cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

The shopping centre in a nearby town during the day and a local park at night.

A group of us would travel to Dublin city and hang at central bank/st stephens green most weekends too (yes, I was one of those!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Typically was either home or on my way home.

Went knacker drinking a few times but never hung out with my mates outside of school.

During school we'd go to the pitch-n-putt course when skipping school to smoke fags and be all cool like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Graveyard, a castle, under a bridge, fields, former railway lines. All to do perfectly legal stuff obviously.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Played soccer on the local green and hung around the alley next to it when it got dark. Just general banter and getting rejected by girls.

The "residents committee" took a dislike to us loitering and went to the Evening Echo newspaper in cork who ran a front page story with big headline "DRUG ALLEY". We were all high on heroin the whole time apparently and drunk at all hours of the day and night. :rolleyes:
    Had that one myself.
    The residents of the estate I grew up in tried to have me banned from the place because, despite never having touched heroin and the instigators living beside two heroin addicts, I was apparently completely strung out on heroin.

The got something like 10 signatures on their petition.
    Twenty-something years later and they still don't realise that they are hated by most of the people in the estate, and that their own children (most of them anyway) are skangers.

The 16 year old son of the publisher of the (then) local rag tried to score with a 12 year old. Her brother and his friends knocked the crap out of the perv and the next headline was "Confey Cider Mob Terror".

The body of the article claimed that everyone in my estate was always drunk on cider and went around beating up innocent teenagers.

Over the years as all the faults of the so-called perfect families came to light, schadenfreude was had by all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Theres fuck all varieties of cider these days, I've noticed....

Katgurl wrote: »
    Rock Garden, crown alley, central bank, pierrot snooker club.
    Did you or any of your friends have a skateboard, wear second-hand clothes (even though you can afford new clothes), wear those lame wool hats, tie-dye t-shirts, really long dresses over oxblood docs or anything like that?

If so, I, and probably most of the people who have to (or have had to in the past) walk through that area really hate you and your ilk.

The people who inhabit that area think they are hip, but they're just following the same trend that has been in place there since the early 80's.
    Also, that new band that nobody had heard of are lame. Nobody has heard of them for that reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement