Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where Did You Hang Out As A Teen?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Pierrot snooker is long gone, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Outside a chipper smoking cigarettes and spitting. Then up to the limelight for underage drinking and trying to score some women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Terry wrote: »
    Did you or any of your friends have a skateboard, wear second-hand clothes (even though you can afford new clothes), wear those lame wool hats, tie-dye t-shirts, really long dresses over oxblood docs or anything like that?

If so, I, and probably most of the people who have to (or have had to in the past) walk through that area really hate you and your ilk.

The people who inhabit that area think they are hip, but they're just following the same trend that has been in place there since the early 80's.
    Also, that new band that nobody had heard of are lame. Nobody has heard of them for that reason.

I always thought that brigade were pretty cool. They may not have invented their trade but at least they weren't hanging around neighbourhood streets and alleys intimidating people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Standing around reds square in Waterford with all the cool kids boi! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

The field.
    There was a field at the back of our estate & we used to meet up there.
    Initially it was to get someone to hold onto the electric fence & then we would all hold hands & get shocked, in between getting shocked we built a little fort made out of branches.
    In later years it was used for shifting & knacker drinking.
    Innocent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I always thought that brigade were pretty cool. They may not have invented their trade but at least they weren't hanging around neighbourhood streets and alleys intimidating people.
    Ever try talking to them?
    Complete and utter ****.

Trust me. I was one of them for a couple of months in 1990.
    I hated myself after 1 week because most of the others were snobs who just sat there judging everyone who walked by.
    They thought they were better than everyone else.

I walked away after about 7 weeks. Couldn't handle the pretentiousness any more.

I know some of those who were there before me and after me. They're all the same.

Attention seeking dicks sitting in what they perceive to be the cultural centre of Ireland. Constantly talking about how much better life is in London.
    Half of them move to London when they leave school. Most of the half are back within a year because they realise they were deluded, but won't admit that. They then spend the next 20 years complaining about how lame Ireland is, but stay here anyway.

If they do leave Ireland, it's to go to Australia or NZ. Again, they are back within a year because they miss their mammies, but in their stories it's because there was no work.

However, according to them you haven't lived until you've been to a Full Moon party in Thailand. They rarely mention being robbed by lady boys during these parties.
    Nor do they mention the immense poverty in Thailand. They just watch that Leonardo DiCaprio film and re-tell it as if they lived it, but with a happy ending.

Trust me. over 20 years of listening to these stories will open your mind far more than ever going to these places.
    4 out of 5 will lie, but the 5th always comes back with the truth.
    The truth about the other 4 will surface eventually.

That's not to say that these places are not great.
    Just don't delude yourself into thinking that they are paradises.
    Do some research first, and never go there without securing a job and/or accommodation before you leave.

Plenty of people survive, but only those who do the research thrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Ever try talking to them?
    Complete and utter ****.

Trust me. I was one of them for a couple of months in 1990.
    I hated myself after 1 week because most of the others were snobs who just sat there judging everyone who walked by.
    They thought they were better than everyone else.

I walked away after about 7 weeks. Couldn't handle the pretentiousness any more.

I know some of those who were there before me and after me. They're all the same.

Attention seeking dicks sitting in what they perceive to be the cultural centre of Ireland. Constantly talking about how much better life is in London.
    Half of them move to London when they leave school. Most of the half are back within a year because they realise they were deluded, but won't admit that. They then spend the next 20 years complaining about how lame Ireland is, but stay here anyway.

If they do leave Ireland, it's to go to Australia or NZ. Again, they are back within a year because they miss their mammies, but in their stories it's because there was no work.

However, according to them you haven't lived until you've been to a Full Moon party in Thailand. They rarely mention being robbed by lady boys during these parties.
    Nor do they mention the immense poverty in Thailand. They just watch that Leonardo DiCaprio film and re-tell it as if they lived it, but with a happy ending.

Trust me. over 20 years of listening to these stories will open your mind far more than ever going to these places.
    4 out of 5 will lie, but the 5th always comes back with the truth.
    The truth about the other 4 will surface eventually.

That's not to say that these places are not great.
    Just don't delude yourself into thinking that they are paradises.
    Do some research first, and never go there without securing a job and/or accommodation before you leave.

Plenty of people survive, but only those who do the research thrive.

Eh, we were just talking about dudes chillin' out somewhere not the meaning of life. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Eh, we were just talking about dudes chillin' out somewhere not the meaning of life. :eek:
    As I just said in another thread, AH is bringing me back 20 years tonight.
    Things I haven't thought about in a long time.

Those people are still dicks though.

Also, that one Sunday in St. Stephen's Green.
    4 of us walked in through the Grafton St. entrance and were immediately met by a gang of scumbags.
    They wanted the tray of beer we had.
    We walked past them, hid in some bushes because we knew they would follow us and waited for them to pass.

When they passed we walked down to the old Viking boat along the quays to drink the cans.
    I remember that day because I was on crutches, and one of them said that he was going to 'take down the cúnt on crutches'.

It was a bit of a thrill hobbling out of there and hoping htey didn't see us leave.

One of the lads got the first bus home, so that left 8 cans each for the remaining 3.
    Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Playing pool and snooker. Sega Rally Championship and Airhockey at Supermacs
    Wandering around chasing skirt (and failing)
    Knackerdrinking somewhere near a river. Making small fires and camps.
    Discovered I could get served in bars from about 14 onwards...that then became the weekends fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

As I just said in another thread, AH is bringing me back 20 years tonight.
    Things I haven't thought about in a long time.

Those people are still dicks though.

Also, that one Sunday in St. Stephen's Green.
    4 of us walked in through the Grafton St. entrance and were immediately met by a gang of scumbags.
    They wanted the tray of beer we had.
    We walked past them, hid in some bushes because we knew they would follow us and waited for them to pass.

When they passed we walked down to the old Viking boat along the quays to drink the cans.
    I remember that day because I was on crutches, and one of them said that he was going to 'take down the cúnt on crutches'.

It was a bit of a thrill hobbling out of there and hoping htey didn't see us leave.

One of the lads got the first bus home, so that left 8 cans each for the remaining 3.
    Good times.

I love you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

There was probably many places for us all but one would always stand out as the place you spent most time in after school or at the weekends.

For me it was Dundrum Bowl (now gone and part of Dundrum Town Centre) mostly playing Out Run and eyeing up Spanish students.

You?

LOL

out run was just leaving as we started hanging out there
    street fighter 2 and spanish students for me

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The "bowler" in Stillorgan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Lived in the stix. I've sat on a a lot of gates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

phasers wrote: »
    a bench in the Mill shopping centre in Clondalkin.

that place is a ****hole.... has crap shops in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

The local bush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

A great place called the Monkey Trees, or then the new place.

We were really original with names :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Temple Bar, central bank etc - every/most thursday/friday evening after school :o Temple Bar Music Centre where i had my first illiegal drinkies, good times! :)

Stephens Green, both the park and the centre

Along the seafront in clontarf.

random little park near where i used to live back then, where i did my first knacker drinking :D

Marino, Artane, etc, sit on a wall and talk for hours about mindless rubbish, twas fun though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Same place I hang around now... Wesley

/pedobear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

The ratfield, Lucan. Stay classy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    The local bush

What was her name?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

A park - playing footy, outside one of my friends houses (a few lived on the same road) where we were getting to know a group of girls the same age :) (one particular year) or looking for somewhere decent to skate (board! :mad:). Good times!

college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I spent many a happy night observing the play patterns of the other teens in the area from my bedroom window. Having fun gets in the way of education!

Advertisement