Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimedia/ Powerful Computer Build Help

Options
  • 27-02-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I'm looking for a computer to do video editing. I would like someone to spec a machine up for me because to be honest I dont really have a clue as to what one needs in order for it to be good.

People seem to suggest at least 16gb of ram. Plenty of hard disk space would also be a plus.
    It would need to have the ability of having a second moniter display. The moniters do not need to be included in the order tho.

I'm looking to spend around 600ish euro, however would spend up to 1000 for a real good machine. What ever you guys recommend.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Ps. I dont need a copy of windows. Student edition will do just fine!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Thanks for your reply.
    What would the differences be in this machine and a more expensive one? say 1000 euro.

Also is this capable of having a second display? Didnt see a graphic card listed.

Would this build include all the cables etc one would need? For example the cable to connect the hard disk to the motherboard?

Regards/

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nirnias

Always handy to have a graphics card also... Especially when video editing :D

For video editing your main concerns would be a powerful graphics card, loads of RAM and a decent CPU, CPU doesnt have to be hugely awesome. Id reccommend a 3.4 or 3.6.. Phenom II x 4 is cheap and cheerful. think they about 100 euro. You get the cables needed with each component. The above fit is good, the CPU might be overkill and it is missing a graphics card.

Keep in mind if you went for a Phenom II x 4 CPU you would need a different motherboard. An ASUS one or similar. They use a AM3+ socket, which is what the Phenom would slot into.

Nirnias wrote: »
    Always handy to have a graphics card also... Especially when video editing :D

For video editing your main concerns would be a powerful graphics card, loads of RAM and a decent CPU, CPU doesnt have to be hugely awesome. Id reccommend a 3.4 or 3.6.. Phenom II x 4 is cheap and cheerful. think they about 100 euro. You get the cables needed with each component. The above fit is good, the CPU might be overkill and it is missing a graphics card.

Keep in mind if you went for a Phenom II x 4 CPU you would need a different motherboard. An ASUS one or similar. They use a AM3+ socket, which is what the Phenom would slot into.

For video editing the GPU makes almost no difference, its entirely on the CPU. Its not until you start messing around with 3D effects, modelling etc. that the GPU starts to become important. Applications that use OpenGL or CUDA for example is where you'd want a powerful GPU.

The i7 is a much much better CPU for video editing. Take a look at the benches here to see the difference between the i7-2600k and Phenom II X4:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/16

• Advertisement

Oh really? I always thought a good GPU was needed for both tasks. My mistake. You are right 3d modeling and graphics stuff does require alot more.

Not sure what Phenoms they are i have a Phenom II x 4 965. Its a 3.68 Ghz processor. I7 is 3.4. Though i think the I7 is newer. Im not much of an Intel fan so i never looked at the statistics between them both

Nirnias wrote: »
    Oh really? I always thought a good GPU was needed for both tasks. My mistake. You are right 3d modeling and graphics stuff does require alot more.

Not sure what Phenoms they are i have a Phenom II x 4 965. Its a 3.68 Ghz processor. I7 is 3.4. Though i think the I7 is newer. Im not much of an Intel fan so i never looked at the statistics between them both

The Sandy Bridge architecture is better than the Phenom's, so you can't compare speed with speed. A 4GHz phenom core is roughly equivalent to a 3GHz Sandy Bridge one. On top of the the i7 has hyperthreading, so its effectively got 8 cores rather than 4. Finally it overclocks extremely well, reaching 4.5GHz+ easily with a decent cooler.

Ah well that explains that then. Thanks for clearing that up

Advertisement