Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope for a .308 hunting rifle(advice)

Options
  • 27-02-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,
    I'm looking for advice on what scope I should buy for my new CZ550 in .308. Budget of up to 700 euro(maybe a little more if it's a banker). I want this to really do the job! Or it would be great if somebody had one.

Much appreciate any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Probably get better help if you say what you want to use the scope for, hunting or target.
    I'm guessing hunting, and for that kind of money, I'd personally fancy a Zeiss Duralyt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pete41

dos29 wrote: »
    Probably get better help if you say what you want to use the scope for, hunting or target.
    I'm guessing hunting, and for that kind of money, I'd personally fancy a Zeiss Duralyt.
    Good point, ya it's for hunting. My initial thought was zeiss too...that's great that the 1st reply was the same!
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

For around 700€ I would suggest the following scopes:

Kaps Classic 2.5-10x50
    Nikon Monarch E 1.5-6x42 IL
    Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50
    Bushnell Elite 2.5-10x50 IL
    Minox ZA5 2-10x50

in this order.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

I'm just after re-reading the thread title, and unless you edited it, apolagies for not paying attention first time round! :o
    I like the Minox and Kaps recommendations by De_Tomaso too by the way. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I've used several S&B's, went boar hunting with the best Zeiss's in Germany. Looked through minox even this weekend. Value for money the Kaps is the best, even touch and go without the money thing. I have an illuminated 2.5-10x50 if you want to look through one.
    edi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

For hunting get a Swarovski ,Best hunting scope in my opinion alongside the Schmidt & Bender.For €700 you can go for a used.I have the Z5 5-25X52 BT Swarovski & love it.On the 308 only a couple of weeks & been very succesful deer hunting with it.Highly recommend them.Buy the best scope you can afford to stretch for financially, you won't regret it have no experience with the scopes previously mentioned except for Zeiss,Swaro beats them in my opinion.Best of luck with the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Constab2 wrote: »
    For hunting get a Swarovski ,Best hunting scope in my opinion alongside the Schmidt & Bender.For €700 you can go for a used.I have the Z5 5-25X52 BT Swarovski & love it.On the 308 only a couple of weeks & been very succesful deer hunting with it.Highly recommend them.Buy the best scope you can afford to stretch for financially, you won't regret it have no experience with the scopes previously mentioned except for Zeiss,Swaro beats them in my opinion.Best of luck with the choice.
    Totally agree, Kahles is another queen bee. I spent 3 months looking through scopes before i bought mine and the clearest I found was Swarovski and Kahles were my favourite , I bought the Swarovski 2nd hand but cost me 1100euros, You wouldn't come by many 2nd hand as very view will part with them. Splash 1000 out and you will get a class 2nd hand hunting sight i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

pete41 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking for advice on what scope I should buy for my new CZ550 in .308. Budget of up to 700 euro(maybe a little more if it's a banker). I want this to really do the job! Or it would be great if somebody had one.

Much appreciate any help

I have an IOR on my .308 that I have used for stalking and foxing and a bit of long range plinking and it worked a treat. The glass is very good and it has adjustable/ target turrets. It makes a great all rounder.
    Just to compare I have owned all sorts of scopes from hawke & swift to S&B and zeiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

IOR offers great value for money ration but it is more Tactical than Hunting scope. I use 3-18x42 a lot and like it very much and think that it is the best scope for cca. 1100€ on the market at the moment. On the other hand I would not recommend it purely for hunting.

Advertisement