Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

academic writing help

Options
  • 27-02-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hi,

wondering does anyone know of any academic writing courses in UCD? now or during the summer it doesnt matter when.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's a workshop for registered post-grads on 13 March - is that helpful?
    Who Should Attend:
    The workshop is suitable for early to mid-stage researchers in the process of writing up a major thesis and perhaps struggling with chapter outlines, language, tone, etc. Those with a draft may also find this workshop provides a useful checklist of considerations when making final edits.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Saw this:
    If you need help with academic essay writing, drop in to the Writing Centre, in the Library Link Space (James Joyce Library). There is an experienced tutor on call from 11-1 and 2-4 Monday and Thursday and 10-1 and 2-4 on Tuesday and Wednesday to help you address any questions you have about academic writing. Tutors work with you one-to-one on what ever you specify (e.g. selecting a title; planning; getting started; drafting; building an argument; points of grammar; editing).Tutors get really busy coming up to essay submission time (weeks 6-7) so please don't leave it until the last minute if you want to work on your writing style.

Full details can be found at our website here: http://www.ucd.ie/library/writing

What students have said:

Really approachable, non-judgmental tutor, put my mind and ease, calmed me down and gave me useful tips
    The tutor was very helpful and explained how to work on the weaker parts of my essay. I thought everything was brilliant and don’t see any way of improving it. It was extremely helpful
    My tutor was friendly and helpful and she really gave me good knowledge about what was required, some really useful tips on how to improve my writing skills. I learned about how making small adjustments to what I had previously written could make a big difference.
    The most useful things was learning how to write an introduction and conclusion for an essay; what to focus on and how to address the main topic
    What we don’t do

The Writing Centre is not a proof-reading resource
    We will not help you to write the content of your essay; our purpose is to talk to you about structure and form and issues of style and accuracy
    We don’t read drafts and ‘correct’ them (we give you strategies to help you to do that yourself)
    We don’t offer commentary on grades or other tutors' grading styles
    So How Do You Get To Us?

This is a drop-in service.
    It’s free.
    You don’t need to make an appointment. Just call in to the Library Link Space in the James Joyce Library and ask to see the Writing Tutor on call.
    There will be someone to talk with you at the following times every weeks during the semester, starting week 3 September 23rd
    Please note: to make sure you get to see a tutor, it’s best to call in on the hour or the half hour (11 or 11.30, 12 or 12.30 and so on)
    Any other queries?
    Email: writing.support@ucd.ie

Opening Hours:
    Day

AM

PM

Monday

11-1

2-4

Tuesday

10-1

2-4