Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 Dual Nand Reset Glitch Hack Mod

• 27-02-2012 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

This mod will be a thing of the past when TX release the DemoN soon but if your on a tight budget and have a dead Xbox 360 motherboard to hand why not give it a go?

The information for this mod is scarce so I thought I'd present it in tutorial format for the benefit of other members, we will assume you have already installed a glitch chip.

301og95.jpg

The donor nand (lifted from a dead Xenon) cleaned with desoldering wick & IPA, I used the edge of a craft knife pressed against the pins and slowly pushed downward to bend them all at once, ideally you want them bent at a 90 degree angle.

At this stage you should bend pin 9 back on itself, taking extra care not to break it off.

303cwvn.jpg

Sit the donor nand on top of the onboard nand, making sure to align the indentation on the edge of the topside of the chip with the white dot on the motherboard (pin number 1).

Flux the pins and solder a couple of the outermost pins first while holding the donor nand in place with your finger, do this on both sides of the nand to give it stability.

Clean the pins and flux again, melt a small bit of solder on your chisel/blade tip and drag down parallel to the pins. Test the pins with a multimeter, the majority should be connected with this technique. To remove bridges* flux the pins and touch with the soldering iron, clean the soldering iron and repeat until all bridges are removed.

* do not use desoldering wick, as the friction will bend some of the pins

With any luck you'll get all the pins connected, next you need to scratch the ce pad/trace and 3.3v source pad with an abrasive pen to expose the copper flux the pads and add a blob of solder on each.

Solder a 10k resistor to the 3.3v source, and a length of wire (I used IDE cable) to ce, solder a wire to pin 9 of the donor nand.

8yt37l.jpg

Scratch the third trace leading to the southbridge & make a very fine cut at an angle to ensure you don't cut the other traces. Flux the trace (southbridge side) and add some solder, strip some wire from an IDE cable and tin the end with solder lay it over the trace and touch with the soldering iron.

35c0geo.jpg

Use a dremel to cut a hole in the casing, and install the DPDT switch.

b3sa5h.jpg

Wire the switch according to this schematic, the left pole is wired to the CE point of the onboard nand, the wire from the southbridge is soldered to one of the middle poles. Xbox GND can be taken from the motherboard, the yellow connection pictured is a wire soldered to the end of the 10k resistor (soldered to the 3.3v pad) which is also soldered to ce of the donor nand and finally solder the glitch GND pole to the GND pad on your glitch chip.

You should now be able toggle between nands by flipping the switch (you will need to pull the power each time), wire up your spi programmer or nand-x dump the original nand a couple of times with this command.
    nandpro.exe usb: -r16 original0.bin

nandpro.exe usb: -r16 original1.bin

Compare both dumps using a command prompt and fc.exe.
    fc /b original0.bin original1.bin

You should get "no differences encountered", with a clean image of your onboard nand, create an ecc image using 360 Multi Builder or similar, pull out the power cable and flip the switch reinsert the power cable and erase the donor nand.
    nandpro.exe usb: -e16

Write your original image to the donor nand.
    nandpro.exe usb: -w16 original0.bin

And write the ecc image to the donor nand.
    nandpro.exe usb: [B]+w16[/B] image_00000000.ecc

Pull the power, reinsert the power cable and boot the Xbox 360 into Xell get your cpu key and build & flash your freeboot image.

Your console should now boot a retail dashboard (ready for Xbox Live) on the onboard nand, and a RGH on the donor nand, if you've got this far give yourself a big pat on the back :D

2rp2s5f.jpg

The switch should be wired up like this (mine is a little messy), the blue wire is going to the GND pad on your glitch chip.

lccxd.jpg

The completed mod, a hole is cut with the dremel & the switch fits snug on the side of the Xbox.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Some damned fine work there JR, fair play :cool:

The soldering looks incredibly small, way outta my league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

EnterNow wrote: »
    Some damned fine work there JR, fair play :cool:

The soldering looks incredibly small, way outta my league.

It is childs play when you have the right tools, bare in mind that you don't need to solder all pins on the donor nand just the ones highlighted in green in the schematic.

I might install an spi flasher in the future, it would save me from having to open the case if something goes wrong with either of the nands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Looks good. Was it a Slim you done the mod on??

Yup this is on my Slim, I'll throw a video up on YouTube soon so you can see it in action.

• Advertisement
Advertisement