Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age are ye?

Options
  • 27-02-2012 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I'm a 25 year old male. Got a NES from my Father in the early 90's and never looked back.

How old are you? 211 votes

<20
    0%
    20-24
    8%
    callaway92bluestripe93RedlionBonavoxLeeg17LordhogoProfessional GrieferChavwaysSl!mCharleseugeneiouskeithb93SweetCaliberDazzaLostBoy101frozenfrozenoxo_HandsomeDivilThe Sky 18 votes
    25-29
    21%
    T-b0n3GO_Bearjoe123KorvanicaTyrant^SomnusGenghiz CohenZorbaTehZrichymcdermottMagillCORavenAceCard JonesMikeyt086BurgoSyncZeouterlimitsktulu123xo_CHEWY_oxSRFC90OSI 46 votes
    30-34
    34%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarCombatCowfolanSarkyKilOit[Deleted User]wesfunky penguinKiithevad_lhorgmayordenisghostchantgizmoTomCodor83BopNibletsK.O.KikiRoyalMarinesinkNewaglish 72 votes
    35-39
    20%
    Shiminaythe_sycoSpearsuper_furrymiseKur4mAA-TrakJoefacetoxofcalex71sillonorrie ruggerbad2dabonedjkeoghkrudlerPaparazzoMonkeyWrenchDoctor DooMStar LordFutureGuy 44 votes
    40-44
    9%
    MaximilianamenMr ESarnSkerriesSuprSibennycAuversdegrassinoelrobconPogMoThoinGran HermanoDozen Wicked WordsPeterHughesweiland79MoragSasquatch76nursextremeGlebeePlumpynuter 20 votes
    45-50
    4%
    VenommewsoNORTH1DcullyMacker1F1ngersSabre ManWeleaseirishgrover 9 votes
    >50
    0%
    RichTrich.d.berry 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

40-44
    In town one day in the early 80's, lashing rain, the old man brought me into barneys to get out of the rain.. big mistake! got hooked on Frogger! xD

I'm 35 now, hopeless addict :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,073 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

30-34
    29 in May, started with a Pong machine back in the early/mid 80's, found what i enjoyed more than anything else, still playing to this day. Always will be playing. It's what i work for. I don't follow sport, i'm not huge into drinking, i don't do drugs. One could say, it's my life. If only when i was going through school gaming was bigger in Eire (and i didn't live in the arse end of nowhere) i would most certainly have done a game related college course.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

30-34
    25. got my first console - ziliton. it was a NES in some fake chinese coating. It was basicly NES, but with yellow cartriges, it had 1-5 games on them. from where i came things like NES or SNES was something Allien... :o . the real deal happened when i got my sega mega drive 2! sega genesis in here?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

30-34
    25,26 in april :-/.........saw my brother play ff7 and was hooked straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

40-44
    Fun question. Public poll added (so don't answer if you're shy about your age!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

25-29
    22 in May , 94-95 Sega MegaDrive , first game sonic 1 best days with my dad playing all day , then sonic 2, streets of rage , golden axe kick started the gamer i am today , best childhood moments by far, and i still go back to playing those games today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

40-44
    38 in April.... started with Atari 2600 about 1982, moved to C64, SNES, PC (various machines from 286 to Pentium), N64, Gamecube, PS2, all Gameboys at one stage or another and Dreamcast. I have all current gen consoles apart from the Vita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

28 (29 in may)

got a commodore 64 for my 8th birthday, followed by a master system at christmas of 1992 - from that point onwards ive had every home console apart from the 3do, jaguar and ps2 (which my brother had)

now i write about games for a living

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

40-44
    Old enough to have played with my brothers Atari 2600 Vader Console when Santa got them it, and also their ZX81 when it first came out, spending hours inputting stuff to end up with a terrible joke about goldfish if memory serves.

Old then, still as C. Montgomery Burns would say "It's not important how old you are on parchment, it's how old you feel in the humours"

Oh yeah, 38.

30-34
    27 (28 in September). Got a NES for Christmas when I was 8. Been hooked on Nintendo since; I have a NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, DS Lite and a 3DS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

35-39
    31... Atari 130XE with River Raid, Moon Patrol, Rescue on Fractulus, Ghostbusters, Super Zaxxon, Fort Apocalyse, and a lot of good memories

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

20-24
    16, 17 in june. after a couple gameboys which got confiscated by my parents for overuse - my sister got a ps1 in maybe 1998 (asked my mom and she said 2005 :rolleyes:) and i haven't gone outside since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

40-44
    Just turned 36 (and relieved to see so many of a similar age in here :pac:) and started in the mid 80s mainly playing on friend's machines - ZX Speccie, C64 etc. We had a BBC B microcomputer which wasn't great for the ould games... in fact the only ones I remember owning were Galaxians, and a blatant rip off of Donkey Kong called Killer Gorilla!

Anyway, my addiction really took hold when I got both the Megadrive and SNES in 1990-91. Mainly a PC gamer these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

25-29
    24- growing up I could never pass an arcade machine without playing. Also used to sneak into my older sister's room when she was out and play her nes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

30-34
    28, not sure what my first console was, though i think it was a snes. We had a nes and a few earlier ones, but thats the one i remember most. I do remember when i started playing pc games though.

I was with the family in Donegal for a week, and my brother stayed home and ordered a cd drive and Magic Carpet. I didn't want to be there, and all i wanted to do was go home and try it. I remember getting home and seeing that Bullfrog logo, followed by an awesome into...blown away :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

35-39
    32 this year :p

My 1st console was one of those boogie games systems that had all the Atari / consoles of that era built in 87ish????, some one brought it home from abroad. The hours I lost to Pitfall and River Raid. Even my mum liked river raid :D

After that Amstrad 464k and it's lovely tapes that took ages to load,Snes, Ps2.

I skipped PSone as I was between 15-22 during those years so had discovered girls and and music and being in band and part time jobs and such :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

25-29
    21 in April. First console was a NES, can't really remember how I got it. PlayStation X was my second!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

30-34
    27, first machine was a commodore 64 back when I was in single figures. Used to start to load a game before dinner... have dinner and by the time I was done the game would hopefully have been loaded. :D

Loved centipede, batman and cj in the usa!

Nothing will beat the NES for me though... Still remember the pure delight of using a light gun for the first time, entering the cheat for probatector (up down up down left right left right A B B A), getting hooked on mario, blowing the dust outta cartages .... AND IT WORKING!

blow_me_nes_t_shirt_logo-400-400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

30-34
    27 in may

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

30-34
    29, the auld Amstrad was the first gaming system, games were pretty expensive for it back then £20, wished i had a commie 64

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

20-24
    I'm 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

25-29
    22, first console was an N64 with Zelda OoT and Mario 64 but I leached off my best mate who had his brothers Atari 2600, SNES & Gameboy and another mate who had an NES and Genesis back in the mid 90's! Good times :)

Played pretty much every console since then and currently have a 360 & Wii as well as my laptop. Would love to have a good PC but being a student its not exactly affordable at the moment so I'm content with PC classics (recently finished Deus Ex for the first time!) and the latest 360 games

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

25-29
    22 (23 in May)

First console was a Sega Megadrive with the 8 games on 1 cartridge. Played Italia 90 until my thumbs bled, streets of rage too. Next console was an N64, I played FIFA 98 and ISS 64 until my thumbs bled. I did of course expand and play all the classics (Goldeneye, Mario 64, Mario Kart, Zelda etc.), this was when I knew I loved video games. Next up came the Dreamcast. I ****ing loved that machine. I played Virtua Striker 2 until my thumbs bled. Owned loads of games for this (and still do), Shenmue has to be my favourite. Then I had a PS2, explored loads of different genre's of games. Played Pro Evo until my thumbs bled (obviously not literally, ive just committed to using it as a cliche). I got an Xbox one Xmas and got to try online gaming properly for the first time, I was so infatuated with PES and FIFA online that I eventually represented Ireland competitively in a series of FIFA Championships all over the world, all the while playing the likes of Halo and other superb online games, I was truely swung into online gaming. Got the Xbox 360 on release day (was actually given a free one for my FIFA endeavours) and am still clocking up solid hours on all the major games. Have a PS3 aswell (again, sound for that FIFA) but I mostly use it as a BluRay player. Gaming is a serious past-time of mine and I dont see it changing anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

In the early 1990s my dad got me a .........
    Atari 2600 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

>50
    46 :o

Started out with this...

binatone-tv-master.jpg

Don't remember playing games through late teens/early 20's..... I must have found other distractions ;)

Got the NES, SNES and N64 for Jnr and joined him for a few games over the years.

Out of the blue the missus got me an XBOX a couple of years ago and for the last eight months I've been steadily going through the games recommended for me on my Crusty Gamer thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

As old as my tongue, a few months older than my teeth.

The Nes was my first console,still remember banging on the top to make the games work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

45-50
    41.. first machine was one of those generic Pong machines, then a ZX81, ZX Spectrum, moving across to PC's in 88 (a Turbo 8088 processor)...

Wrote my first games in 1982.. been involved with computers ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

30-34
    bubblefett wrote: »
    24- growing up I could never pass an arcade machine without playing. Also used to sneak into my older sister's room when she was out and play her nes

Untill the last word it sounded so damn dirty! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

30-34
    hightower1 wrote: »
    27, first machine was a commodore 64 back when I was in single figures. Used to start to load a game before dinner... have dinner and by the time I was done the game would hopefully have been loaded. :D

I'm 29 in May, 1st machine was a C64 and just like Hightower, would load a game, head for dinner and then hopefully have a game when I was finished. I say hopefully because sometimes I would come back to find the loading had forze and I would have to rewind the tape and start again!

I dunno how i'm not blind spending so long staring at the screen below flashing for 30 minutes!

Loading.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

30-34
    27 but my old man is 60. He's retired and plays Black Ops online on a nightly basis and he's not too bad either!! I get onto him for playing CoD and have tried to get him to play BF3 but he's not interested, he loves zombies aswell and plays it solo.

It's funny, he spent most of the time I was in school shouting at me for playing games online when I should have been studying and now he probably plays more then I do. When my nephew calls over they play split screen, never in a million years imagined grandfather and grandson playing CoD online bustin heads!! :pac:

We had a chat about it one night over a few cans and he genuinely said he's sorry for giving me hassle and he can now understand why I do it. Legend :D

Advertisement