Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age are ye?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

35-39
    Big Knox wrote: »
    27 but my old man is 60. He's retired and plays Black Ops online on a nightly basis and he's not too bad either!! I get onto him for playing CoD and have tried to get him to play BF3 but he's not interested, he loves zombies aswell and plays it solo.

It's funny, he spent most of the time I was in school shouting at me for playing games online when I should have been studying and now he probably plays more then I do. When my nephew calls over they play split screen, never in a million years imagined grandfather and grandson playing CoD online bustin heads!! :pac:

We had a chat about it one night over a few cans and he genuinely said he's sorry for giving me hassle and he can now understand why I do it. Legend :D

What a dude!!!!!!!! Hopefully I'll be the same when I hit 60, if my hands haven't gone to bits from rsi etc from using a keyboard or controller :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

30-34
    28 atm. First computer was an Amstrad cpc 464 (green screen)

Very interesting to see the age spread in the poll.
    I imagined some people on here to be younger than they actually are, oops. :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

30-34
    Just turned 25, been playing games as long as I remember. Its in the blood, on my dad's wedding night, my mam fell asleep and he was up till 7am playing the C64 :D

I remember vaguely playing games on my dad's amstrad and atari but vivdly remember my brother getting a game boy when we were tiny and being absolutely hooked on it. Then we got a SNES and having two controllers with two boys with a year between them led to an epic childhood. We were the kind of kids who sat down for 3 days with mortal kombat to figure out how to change characters with Shang Tsung or perform fatalities.

Ended up doing Computer Game Development in college, started my own video game company (which flopped) and in the last 2 years I've pretty much gotten every console that was commercially released here since the NES.

My girlfriend hates it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

30-34
    26, started with the nes, atari and commodore, the final fantasy and mgs games concreted my addiction on the ps1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

30-34
    29 in July:
    1st there was the SNES (only really had Mario, a few rentals), then got a Pentium PC with C&C: Red Alert, Total Annihilation, Commando...
    Then got a new Gateway 2000 PC, included a games pack with (amongst others) Deus Ex, Half Life, Shogun: Total War :D
    Then there was AVP2, Jedi Knight II, GTA series, Counter Strike (both), Hitman series, Half-Life 2

Recent years: TF2, Deus Ex: HR, Shogun 2, Batman and a few odd Android games (Where's My Water!)

Found a link that might interest people, I know what I'll be browsing instead of working!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_years_in_video_gaming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

35-39
    30, 31 in september.

started in the atari 2600 days, have been a gamer ever since, from the amstrad cpc 464 to the news to the ps3 with most stuff in between, some of the best days of my youth were spent in local arcades playing street fighter 2 and mortal kombat, christ I miss real arcades...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

35-39
    33 now got my first game system in around 81/82 which was called Parachute by Nintendo. This was followed by Octopus and then came the game changer the dual screen Donkey Kong.

6a00d83452989a69e20147e292782c970b-800wi&sa=X&ei=6b5MT77cBdDG8QOSzqjDAg&ved=0CAwQ8wc4Ew&usg=AFQjCNGs3o-DckH0aEg_go3e7ozGC3yXEg

That was followed up by a Spectrum (the one with the touch sensitive buttons that you had toforce until your finger broke ! ) for the house. That was upgraded to ZX. After that it was into PC's for computers didnt get a c64 or amiga.

Console wise, Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Mega drive, N64, 3, PSP, PSP GO, PS VIta, Xbox, xbox 360. All still working and set up under my TV to this day.

Wii is downstairs the DS is locked in a press somewhere as both are terrible and my PS1 & 2 got traded in to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dclewis

30-34
    25. Never forget the day my dad brought home the NES with super Mario world 3. Then I got the Sega megadrive 2. Became a serious gamer when the PlayStation and n64 first came out

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

35-39
    32. Was an arcade rat, loved games like Golden Axe and Final Fight especially.

The first time I saw SFII it blew my mind :D

First home system was a c64. Loved that thing to bits.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

35-39
    34, 35 in May.

Woke up on Christmas morning when I was about 5 and Santa had brought an Atari 2600. Super memories of me and my dad playing Combat together.

A few years later, my uncle from England brought home a Spectrum ZX which was such a step up! Endless hours spent playing Dizzy, Impossible Mission and MatchdayII.

In the early 90's, a friend returned from the States with a Gameboy and I fell in love with it. Got one for Christmas with Super Mario Land and Tetris. Saved all year to get Golf, Duck Tales and Double Dragon.

Then came the SNES. I was at the age that I could afford to buy more games. Hated Sega (archrivals etc etc). I bought the Gameboy Advance and one of the subsequent models.

My interest waned just as the PS/N64 came out but my brother bought the latter machine and we spent ages playing WWE No Mercy and Goldeneye with friends. Good times.

After University, my love for games began to return. I was still a diehard Nintendo fan and went with the Gamecube over the PS2. Eventually caved and bought the slim version PS2 but never really took to it.

Then came the day I bought my Xbox360 and have to say I haven't really looked back. It's the console that takes up 90 of my gaming time. I have all the current next gen consoles and the 3DS. I still love the /Mario Kart/Mario/Zelda franchises but that's about all I play on Nintendo consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

30-34

Fist console was commodore 64 (I think). It ran on cassette tapes, which took forever to load. The only games I remember where Boulderdash (awesome), some karate one (which had a cool mini game where you punched through bricks) and an Olympic game which had the most physically draining game to play I've ever accounted - a 10,000 meter (actually, could have longer) race. You had to hit the joypad button repeatedly to run. It took about 15 minutes to finish the race, and while it was multiplayer, the screen only followed whoever was in first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

30-34
    26 at the moment. Still remember setting up my first SEGA MEGA DRIVE and playing Sonic for about 10 hours. Also got the 3 in 1 cartridge with Streets Of Rage, Golden Axe and Revenge Of Shinobi on it. Class stuff all together.
    Bought the mega drive classics for my 360 a while back and really thought they stood the test of time until my young cousin came over and looked at them like i used to look at an abacus

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

30-34
    27 this year and still love gaming, though I don't venture too much with online playing beyond the Left 4 Dead community I have. Still play new PC releases but love returning to the old classics every now again like the SNES & arcade games.

First experience was when my brother got the NES one Xmas with the Mario / Duck Hunt cartridge + Zapper. Kept us entertained for years and the old girl still works. The Zapper is surprisingly in mint condition, too.

Brother got the bug and went on to win Nintendo competitions around the country for a few years. Won a national competition in '92 I think where he won a SNES plus all of the launch titles. They then sent him a further 30 games a year later so that kept us entertained for a long time :D

Not too big into the consoles these days. I won a 360 at work but rarely played it, used it more as a media server to stream stuff through and use the controller for playing old games on the PC :pac:

Nothing fires up the ol' nostalgia like running through Setup.exe to get Blood going again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

40-44
    35 now we had a few of the space invader one game machiens and a dual screen donkey kong before the Amstrad 128k , Tayto Coin up Hits pack with with Bubble Bobble was a must own set, although I would never admit to my mates that the C64 version kicked the Amstrads Ass in that game:mad:
    R-Type, Shinobi, NZ Story were my best games Rainbow Islands maybe.
    I didnt do much with the megadrive my brother had but got an N64 for my 21st so Mario 64 got me going again :D
    I had a GameCube and PS2 , sold the PS2 and got an XBox before 360 , and recently have just built a gaming rig and starting to love PC gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

30-34
    26. Used to visit various cousins who had Ataris or the Sega Genesis. Then I got a Game Gear (which wasn't all that great). Christmas after I had turned 10 though, Sega Mega-Drive with the 6in1 games (Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Italia 90, Columns and Super Hang On), Sonic & Knuckles, The Lion King and Mega Bomberman. Thanks, Santa!

(actually, I thanked Santa there, but that Christmas was also the Christmas I found out Santa wasn't real. Parents told us the back toilet was broke so they locked it, but I managed to get into it anyway (really needed a piss and the other toilet was occupied). Saw a load of presents, but presumed they were presents my parents bought for cousins/godchildren etc. But Christmas morning, saw them all again when they were given to me and my sisters from "Santa". Knew then that he wasn't real. Didn't care though. F*cking Mega-Drive, b*tch!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

35-39
    33 now, and married. Was an arcade rat since about 9 or 10.

Last weekend was away with the Mrs in London. She wanted to visit a specific shop for some shoes or other nonsense.

Told her I might just wander around for 30 minutes and we'd meet up.
    17 tube stations and 3 transfers and I was in an arcade playing StreetFighter with the prodigy playing, felt like I was 13 again.
    Stayed for 3 hrs. Nearly missed flight and cold shoulder for the entire week.

Totally worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

30-34
    I'll be 30 in a week, but for now I still get to tick 25-29. :pac:

There was always some battery-operated little handheld game around the house as far as I can remember, but the first proper games machine was when my dad bought an Amiga 500. He insisted on the Class of the 90's pack, and I was annoyed because I wanted the Batman pack (This was either 1989 or 1990, can't recall). I forgave him once I discovered how much fun the art and music packages were...

Halcyon days, I only had a megabyte of memory to play with but sweet jesus did the developers manage to make it sing and dance. People were really just getting to grips with computer games and realising what was possible, really wringing the last ounce of performance out of the hardware. The days when Syndicate, Lemmings, Populous and the like were genuine innovations and had never been seen before were a great time to be a gamer. Real shame what happened to the Amiga, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

25-29
    23. Mega Drive was the first love.

I think we should all meet up with bats. NES users on one side (you hairy japanese bas*ards) and us Mega Drivers on the other side.

FREEEEDDOOOMM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

35-39
    23. Mega Drive was the first love.

I think we should all meet up with bats. NES users on one side (you hairy japanese bas*ards) and us Mega Drivers on the other side.

FREEEEDDOOOMM!

8bit v 16bit? Don't you mean SNES users? :p

25-29
    EnterNow wrote: »
    8bit v 16bit? Don't you mean SNES users? :p

Less of your jibba jabba. To battle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

35-39
    Less of your jibba jabba. To battle!

I'll match your Duck Hunt, & raise you a Gunstar Heroes.

/thread :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Old enough to remember when this was a Quake board.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

25-29
    24. Grew up playing with my dads Pong game and arcade pac-man and outrun games before my parents got me a mega drive in '94. From then on I'd a PS1, N64, PS2 and 3, xbox, couple of gameboys and a DS. Over the next number of years I can see the hours I put into gaming going down put they won't cease. I'll gaming so long as my fingers and wrists aren't cripple by arthritis

25-29
    EnterNow wrote: »
    I'll match your Duck Hunt, & raise you a Gunstar Heroes.

/thread :D

Damn you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

25-29
    A-Trak wrote: »
    33 now, and married. Was an arcade rat since about 9 or 10.

Last weekend was away with the Mrs in London. She wanted to visit a specific shop for some shoes or other nonsense.

Told her I might just wander around for 30 minutes and we'd meet up.
    17 tube stations and 3 transfers and I was in an arcade playing StreetFighter with the prodigy playing, felt like I was 13 again.
    Stayed for 3 hrs. Nearly missed flight and cold shoulder for the entire week.

Totally worth it.

Which arcade was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

35-39
    30 ere! First gaming memory would be wolfenstein on my bro's pc. First "console" woulda been my other bro's commodore amiga, some savage games on that. Sensible Soccer ate away many an hour. D generation.

Then he got a SNES so that was my first real console. MY first one was a PS1, been playstation all the way since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

35-39
    34. Was weened on Pong in the late 70s so more than 30yr gaming experience n it only became casual for a short period in the mid 90s. Back when I temporarily lost my sense of identity! back in the fray since but cannot play RPGs anymore too much time consumption.. I saw a similarly aged guys piece on this over on 1up or something so i guess that's just how it tends to go - these games develop faster than I have aged so enjoying em more at 34 than pong at 3. But i'd imagine Pong was never really that enjoyable regardless of age

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

35-39
    32. Was an arcade rat, loved games like Golden Axe and Final Fight especially.

The first time I saw SFII it blew my mind :D

First home system was a c64. Loved that thing to bits.

first saw SFII in an arcade n limerick, was one of those big screen cabinets with the seats attached, with booming sound, many,many 20p pieces were pumped into that thing over the years. seaside arcades were always the best, dark, dingy, all the oul wans pumping their pensions into the slot machines, games like golden axe, double dragon and bubble bobble's themes blaring out of the cabinets, ahhhh the heady days of youth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

35-39
    30 here. First started gaming on the Commodore 64 when I got it with my communion money. Remember playing Ghostbusters and Batman to death on it. Then got the NES a couple of years later with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Went with SNES then after that, but used to play Megadrive a lot over at friends' houses, and had a friend who got me heavily into adventure games with Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle.

PS1 and 2 after that and I worked in an arcade for a good few years.

Didn't play much games for three or four years there towards the end of the PS2s lifecycle but started gaming again in a big way with the PS3 launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

30-34
    I remember selling my nes for 100 quid but my ma gave it some woman and her sone for 50 because 'they were lovely' :mad: Eventually had enough to buy the megadrive and it was glorious! Then the SNES kicked it's arse. Ah getting in the mood to play some roms now.

4000th post :D

Advertisement