Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking fine omagh

Options
  • 27-02-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hows it going. I stupidly received a parking fine in Omagh last week on a DL reg and have to pay within 14 days it will be £30 or after that £60. wondering if anyone has not paid these before and got away with it? heard off someone that they let it accumulate in fines until its hefty then they send in the debt collectors..any truth to this or will I rip it up and laugh at the cheek of them putting it near my windshield? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Westwood wrote: »
    Hows it going. I stupidly received a parking fine in Omagh last week on a DL reg and have to pay within 14 days it will be £30 or after that £60. wondering if anyone has not paid these before and got away with it? heard off someone that they let it accumulate in fines until its hefty then they send in the debt collectors..any truth to this or will I rip it up and laugh at the cheek of them putting it near my windshield? :o

Never paid one and never heard anymore about them, however it was a long time ago so it may have changed since.

Tip: Remove windscreen wipers from car in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

+1 for the above, I have gotten a few for parking and speeding, just ignored them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Westwood wrote: »

We got a parking ticket while on holiday in Chester, it was really annoying as the car park was half empty, we had a ROI number plate & it was the end of the day, but they stuck the bloody ticket on our windshield windscreen and that really ruined the day & put a cloud over the holiday :(

We enquired with friends that live there + the owners of the gardens that we were visiting, and they all encouraged us to pay, otherwise we might run into problems in the future (if we ever visited Britain again)! like if the Police clocked our number plate & ran it through their hand held computers "Warning unpaid parking fine" quick, arrest them :D

Seriously though, I don't know if its agood thing to have an unpaid parking fine hanging around your neck for too long, that is, if you are ever planning to return with your car to any part of the UK. Their hand held car recognition computers are really wizz at catching people. Then again I don't know if it would be a Police matter in the 1st place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

i came across the same thing in legal discussion by chance a few days ago... a mix of pay up and dont... anyway thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I have 3-4 from around Derry, never paid and never heard anything more, but the last one would have been about 4 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I got a good few of them years ago in Strabane and like others I never paid and heard no more about them.

However that was then and this is now and if it happened to me today I'd be inclined to pay given the high tech equipment that the police have and your number can be identified within seconds.

Yes, but to the last two posters (Derry & Strabane) what would happen if you did venture back into NI and the police stopped you for some reason and then checked out your registration? might you be in the sh*t for unpaid fines? or not?

LordSutch wrote: »
    Yes, but to the last two posters what would happen if you did venture back into NI and the police stopped you for some reason and then checked out your registration? might you be in the sh*t for unpaid fines? or not?
    Some other poor soul may be stopped now as they'd be driving a car that I once owned :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Yes, but to the last two posters (Derry & Strabane) what would happen if you did venture back into NI and the police stopped you for some reason and then checked out your registration? might you be in the sh*t for unpaid fines? or not?

Yup you can be arrested and taken to the next sitting of court (usually the next day). I've heard of it happening twice but only after an accumulation of fines and not just the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 boneheaded

No jurisdiction here. Same as we have no jurisdiction up there. People from the north don’t have to pay speeding of parking fines down here and there is no recourse. Same for us in the north or in the UK. One parking ticket for £60 not worth chasing for them anyway. Your only concern when parking illegally up there is getting clamped!!!

• Advertisement

boneheaded wrote: »
    No jurisdiction here. Same as we have no jurisdiction up there. People from the north don’t have to pay speeding of parking fines down here and there is no recourse. Same for us in the north or in the UK. One parking ticket for £60 not worth chasing for them anyway. Your only concern when parking illegally up there is getting clamped!!!

No jurisdiction here of course, but if you venture back into UK territory and your car is stopped by a UK Police force (in Northen Ireland or Britain) they will scan your car reg into their on-board computer and the outstanding parking fines will pop-up! (as far as I know).

No jurisdiction here of course, but if you venture back into UK territory and your car is stopped by a UK Police force (in Northen Ireland or Britain) they will scan your car reg into their on-board computer and the outstanding parking fines will pop-up! (as far as I know).
    Yes, thats what Id be weary of nowadays.

In my other post I referred to getting parking tickets "years ago" and with a different car obviously.

Parking tickets issued by local authorities ie. parking wardens in car parks, pay and display and meter parking areas are general not linked into the police network. Police Criminal Intelligence linked with the vehicle will come up. What’s the police officer going to do about £60 ticket? I just bought the car, it belongs to my wife, I’ve got the lend of the car…..they have no way of checking immediately on the side of the road who a car is registered to. “I don’t know anything about the ticket officer”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Parking tickets issued by local authorities ie. parking wardens in car parks, pay and display and meter parking areas are general not linked into the police network. Police Criminal Intelligence linked with the vehicle will come up. What’s the police officer going to do about £60 ticket? I just bought the car, it belongs to my wife, I’ve got the lend of the car…..they have no way of checking immediately on the side of the road who a car is registered to. “I don’t know anything about the ticket officer”.

You would think so but it some cases they are linked, and action can be taken against the offender if / when they fail to pay and are caught on AMPR system in the north.

Bottom line, don't drive / park like an edjit and you won't have to worry about it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

They wouldn't have access to the Irish vehicle registration database or would they??

they have no way of checking immediately on the side of the road who a car is registered to.
    Im afraid they do. Insurance, registration, tax, NCT/MOT details are all in a central database. So if they cant find your details then you are in even more serious bother.

Mod hat on: Please use the default text size.

They do.

muffler wrote: »
    Im afraid they do. Insurance, registration, tax, NCT/MOT details are all in a central database. So if they cant find your details then you are in even more serious bother.

Mod hat on: Please use the default text size.

There is no central database. Irish Guards don't have access to NCT/MOT details, the insurance details on NVF are those that are filled in when you tax your car...do it on line and its not checked. If you provide insurance details and the insurance expires on your car one week after you tax it then there is no further information till you tax your car again. Registration takes 2 weeks. AMPR system is only as good as the information provided by Insurance companies and not all of them provide information and the system has to be manually updated.
    So if information is not available here how do the PSNI have this information on us?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

Don't pay it I've loads from Belfast Derry strabane etc I never paid any an hav been stopped by peelers and never had it mentioned an I was sitting waiting to hear about it it's nothing to the psni well that's my opinion once i got a letter to my home address ignored that and never heard anything after and thing imust owe them sum money had a glove box full of fines lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Jeez lads, when did parking legally become a taboo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a Northerner now living in Donegal I have to admit to being slightly disappointed by some of the attitudes on here.

Seems to be 'bugger that, I'm not paying'.

Now thats fair enough if you want to decide to do that, but DL drivers have a terrible reputation in the North (often rightly so) and anyone who got a ticket did something wrong. You can't just assume that the rules don't apply to you because you live in another country. Its not hard to park properly or do the right speed. Sign of a bad driver if you don't.

And be careful that you may park in the wrong place and end up getting clamped. Being a DL driver won't say you then.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

NIMAN wrote: »
    Now thats fair enough if you want to decide to do that, but DL drivers have a terrible reputation in the North (often rightly so) and anyone who got a ticket did something wrong. You can't just assume that the rules don't apply to you because you live in another country. Its not hard to park properly or do the right speed. Sign of a bad driver if you don't.
    I think that cuts both ways.

byte wrote: »

Of course it does, but the thread is about RoI drivers dodging fines in NI, which I think is wrong.

I also think that any NI driver who break the rules of the road, or speeds recklessly in RoI, deserves to be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jmark

I'm with NIMAN on this one - the attitude is disappointing.

Why stop with ignoring fines? Why not just advocate speeding too? Why not shoplift as well? After all its a different jurisdiction.

Man up and pay your tickets, obey the law, and stop whining when you get hit with a fine when you dont comply.

Otherwise we cant complain when others do the same in our patch.

Exactly, point well made.

Why should driving offences be any different from any other action against the law? People in Donegal seem to have a 'couldnt care less' attitude when it comes to driving and driving laws. Which is a shame.

People in Donegal seem to have a 'couldnt care less' attitude when it comes to driving and driving laws.
    Thats the second time now that you have trolled this thread with comments that are off topic and posted with the intent to flame.

Warning given and if it happens again I wont be as lenient.

Now then, the discussion is about paying a parking fine in Omagh.

Point taken but practically every thread on every internet forum in the world goes off topic in some form or other.

Its not as if my tangent was dramatically miles from where the original debate was. In fact, they are connected.

I did not intend to offend, but surely you can see the link between people getting parking tickets in Omagh and claiming they don't feel they have to pay them, with attitudes of certain Irish drivers.

Anyway, I've been warned so I will now exit this thread for fear of offending any more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

byte wrote: »

Of course it does, but the thread is about RoI drivers dodging fines in NI, which I think is wrong.

I also think that any NI driver who break the rules of the road, or speeds recklessly in RoI, deserves to be punished.

+1,000.

I live on the border of Armagh and Monaghan and the amount of people who just cross the border and speed just because they can get away with it, combined with terrible roads, is lethal.. My friend was run off the road and almost killed by a northern reg driver who just drove off after running her off the road.
    Pay the ticket, have some respect for the law of the land that you're in. If only to have a clear conscience.

Dear oh dear. Does anyone read the forum charter at all?

Read it NIMAN before you post in this forum again.

Edit: NIMAN and hattoncracker banned.

• Advertisement

Stay on topic please guys. I can see where this thread is going and it could end up badly for someone (not me ;))

Advertisement