Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia PureView 808 - 41 megapixel

Options
  • 27-02-2012 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

Nokia just announced the pureview808 41 megapixel yes you are reading it right 41 megapixel..
    gsmarena_002.jpg

In terms of mobile imaging, the Nokia 808 is a revolutionary device. Not only is it capable of taking images of up to 38MP, but it can also make use of a technology called oversampling, which means that out of 7 adjacent pixels of information it captures, it outputs to memory a single resulting pixel, which hopefully, is picture perfect.

There are three outright advantages to this oversampling thing: amazing image quality, lossless zoom, and superior low light performance.

Maximum resolution matters

The Nokia 808 can capture 4:3 images at up to 38MP and 16:9 images at up to 34MP thanks to the multi-aspect sensor. The difference in aspects also means a difference in the effective viewing angle, which in 35mm equivalent is about 28mm in 4:3 aspect capturing and 26mm in 16:9 aspect capturing.

At 1/1.2″, the sensor size is impressive even for a point’n'shoot camera, and is more than double the one found on the N8. And if you gotta know, that means an estimated pixel size of 1.26 microns for each pixel, which is about the same size modern-day 8 megapixel cameraphones use. It’s only that there are 5 times more pixels on this baby, hence the size.

gsmarena_016.jpg

Yes, the 41MP sensor of the Nokia 808 is really something, but you won’t be actually able to take 41MP photos. Here you can see all the different image aspects and their respective resolution. The sensor has a total active surface of 7728 x 5368 pixels, which does amount to 41MP, but depending on the aspect ratio you choose, it will use either 7728 x 4354 pixels for 16:9 images or 7152 x 5368 pixels for 4:3 images/videos.

gsmarena_005.jpg

Actually, the default shooting resolution in PureView mode (the pixel oversampling one) is 5MP in 16:9 aspect ratio, but you also have options for 2MP and 8MP. You can turn off PureView mode and shoot in the camera’s maximum resolution, in which case you will turn up with quite large image files as evident from our gallery with full-res samples.

Pixel oversampling is like miniaturization but prettier

But enough about maximum resolution, let’s get back to image quality. The Nokia Team have given a lot of thought to how to improve the image quality on size-constrained mobiles. With ever decreasing pixel sizes, the challenge for engineers is quite clearly to overcome the negative effects like high digital noise levels and the resulting poor low light performance. Enter pixel oversampling.

Oversampling is different from mere cropping as it doesn’t simply use part of the sensor to produce a lower resolution image. Instead, it still uses the full sensor, but downsizes the resulting image to say, 5MP on the Nokia 808. The benefit of this is that this process of downsizing removes digital noise, while preserving the same level of detail you might get by shooting with the best 5 megapixel camera.

But there’s more to having such a huge sensor.

And it goes all zoom-zoom

Since the Nokia 808 captures so many pixels and is able to produce lower res photos, it’s only natural that it tries to tackle one of the other most wanted features in cameraphones – the lossless zoom. Instead of focusing on the traditional ways of delivering image zooming such as digital interpolation or optical magnification, the Nokia team went for the highest resolution sensor ever found on a mobile.

Everybody has tried regular digital zoom, it’s no good. Some have even attempted optical zooming, but it’s way too bulky, noisy and even slow and prone to geometrical distortion. The only viable solution was the 2x digital zoom that was offered by the N8 in video mode (via pixel binning) but even that involved interpolation of sorts. But to be able to offer any zoom levels in still images, you need to have a solid sensor with a huge amount of extra pixels compared to the nominal output resolution. And lots of processing power.

To meet the immense processing requirements (over 1 billion pixels per second and 16x oversampling), the Nokia team developed a special companion processor to the sensor that handles pixel scaling before sending the required number to the main image processor.

Once that’s out of the way, you get lossless zooming with the same effective viewing angle – in 35mm equivalents, it’s 28mm in 4:3 aspect ratio and 26mm in 16:9. And depending on the resolution, you get a variety of zoom levels. In 5MP stills, for instance, you get around a 3x zoom.

I’ll let the Nokia team deliver their explanation of this new zoom method, they simply nail it in rather simple words:

With the Nokia 808 PureView, zoom is handled completely differently — like nothing that has been done before. We’ve taken the radical decision not to use any upscaling whatsoever. There isn’t even a setting for it.

When you zoom with the Nokia 808 PureView, in effect you are just selecting the relevant area of the sensor. So with no zoom, the full area of the sensor corresponding to the aspect ratio is used. The limit of the zoom (regardless of the resolution setting for stills or video) is reached when the selected output
    resolution becomes the same as the input resolution.

For example, with the default setting of 5MP (3072 x 1728), once the area of the sensor reaches 3072 x 1728, you’ve hit the zoom limit. This means the zoom is always true to the image you want.

The level of pixel oversampling is highest when you’re not using the zoom. It gradually decreases until you hit maximum zoom, where there is no oversampling.

Here’s an example of the amazing level of detail the Nokia 808 allows with its high-res shots.

In video, at FullHD 1080p resolution you get 4x lossless zoom, at 720p HD video you’ve got 6x lossless zoom, and for nHD (640×360) video there’s the impressive 12x zoom. And you can bet video quality will be great, since the 808 encodes the video in up to 25Mbps worth of bitrate.

The Nokia 808 camera has some other impressive specs too

Even without these amazing features, unseen before in a mobile phone, the Nokia 808 has some serious imaging potential. You’ve got a Carl Zeiss certified lens, the xenon flash, a relatively large F2.4 aperture, and a Neutral Density filter for those high-intensity lighting scenes.

The added mechanical shutter minimizes the disadvantages of a rolling shutter such as the vertical stripes that appear in the highlights of high-contrast images also known as smear, as well as the wavy “Jell-O” distortion that sometimes appears if you move the camera while shooting.

Also, the large sensor size and the longer focal range of 8.02mm in combination with the large aperture delivers more blurry background (a nice bokeh) in closeup shots as opposed to most regular cameraphones, which is exciting on its own.

Wrapping it up

As Nokia puts it, the Nokia 808 presents a “quantum leap forward in cameraphone performance”. Indeed, it introduces concepts we’ve never thought possible on a mobile phone. It’s not about the piles of megapixels but rather what you can do with them, such as producing picture perfect low-res images or lossless zooming in both stills and videos (including after-the-fact zooming and cropping). It’s one helluva camera and we bet it will be able to challenge most point-and-shoots on their own turf. Too bad they’ve picked Nokia Belle as the OS of choice. But we remain positive, as today Nokia representatives promised on stage at the MWC 2012 that this technology will get implemented in future products as well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

€450 for the PureView 808 and Lumia 900 before taxes is steep enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

18258.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

The back of that looks a bit of a pig tbh. Thought the rear of the n8 was bad enough, but that yoke. No, just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

kmart6 wrote: »
    18258.jpg

Is it a windows phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

The back of that looks a bit of a pig tbh. Thought the rear of the n8 was bad enough, but that yoke. No, just no.

it's got a 41mp camera with xenon flash and led flash. There's no deterioration in image when zooming in. Meaning they've gotten around the optical zoom issue phones have always had. I think it looks quiet good considering that .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

No doubt about it, Nokia have raised the bar again when it comes to camera quality on mobiles. But I think most people would settle for a 5 or 8 mp camera on their phones if they didn't have the lump on the rear of the phone. Love my n8 but hate the back of it.

cena wrote: »
    Is it a windows phone

no symbian belle

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

I like that I can tell which way is up before looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Devane

A decent demo here.

If you look @3.33 you see there are two modes. The pure-view mode uses the 41MP to create 5MP photo which has less noise/more detail etc with oversampling.
    I guess "full-resolution" will produce a massive 41MP photo not as clear?

Well I think I'm due an upgrade in June. I wonder what it will cost with my contract? Its supposed to come out in Q2. I hope vodafone feature it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Pureview posts moved from N8 thread

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

It would have to at least be a windows phone for me to buy that. What with it's ugliness. Symbian is useless, I should know I've had a Nokia Symbian phone for 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Devane

Very good overview here.

Ps
    Removable battery!
    Tripod accessory. Jeez I could do with that for my N8.

It looks like it'll be harder for it to slip out of your hand with it being a candybar design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

handy for printing billboards i guess..

niallharty wrote: »
    It would have to at least be a windows phone for me to buy that. What with it's ugliness. Symbian is useless, I should know I've had a Nokia Symbian phone for 2 years

Symbian has moved on now and now running belle,carla is next..
    I was a prolific nokia fan myself until last year when i had enough,but ive had a few test devices sent out,now currently testing the nokia 603 Running on symbian belle and there is vast improvements..
    I believe there is talk to move this camera to windows phone.
    Windows phone is not my cup of tea but its fast and responsive.

I think nokia have come back with this new 808 pureview,it redefines camera phones now and may gain back nokia fans,symbian this time last year was said to be dead but all of a sudden its back to life,the developers need to get their finger out now or its goodbye..

hopefully i will have a test model soon so i can report info here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

jimmynokia wrote: »

They confirmed it at WMC that it would be coming to Nokia's Windows Phone's. The only reason its not on a Nokia Windows phone is because it was well into the development before Nokia signed up with Microsoft. Time constraints meant Nokia could not develop the tech fast enough for it to roll out onto Microsoft's mobile OS.

AntiVirus wrote: »

They confirmed it at WMC that it would be coming to Nokia's Windows Phone's. The only reason its not on a Nokia Windows phone is because it was well into the development before Nokia signed up with Microsoft. Time constraints meant Nokia could not develop the tech fast enough for it to roll out onto Microsoft's mobile OS.

Will it suit windows phone though?

Devane wrote: »
    Very good overview here.

Ps
    Removable battery!
    Tripod accessory. Jeez I could do with that for my N8.

It looks like it'll be harder for it to slip out of your hand with it being a candybar design.

It has removable battery,its microsim and has microsd expansion slot...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Will it suit windows phone though?

I don't really get the question?

Anyway the pure view technology they have will work on any megapixel camera in the future. So they will bring out 10,12,15 megapixel camera phones with a smaller form factor and not just Windows Phone ones.

http://www.gsmarena.com/pureview_camera_headed_to_a_lumia_phone_soon-news-3931.php

big.jpg

A few days ago the Nokia 808 PureView caused a lot of jaws to drop, only to be raised back up again to ask "wait, Symbian?" However, when you take into account that the PureView project started 5 years ago the things become clear - Windows Phone just didn’t exist back then.
    Jo Harlow, Executive Vice President of smart devices at Nokia, spoke to a Finnish newspaper saying that the PureView technology is heading to a future Lumia phone. According to her, it shouldn't be too long before such a phone materializes.
    Performance shouldn't be an issue - the Nokia 808 uses a single-core 1.3GHz processor with 512MB and it's a custom chip that does all the heavy lifting. That's well within reach of current WP7 phones though they'll have to adjust the processing for a Qualcomm platform.
    But, of course, that doesn’t mean a Nokia Lumia PureView phone is just around the corner.
    Either way, this phone can't come soon enough. Until then, you can have a look at the camera samples and check out our blog post on how PureView works. There's also our interview with Nokia's imaging guru, Damian Dinning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭kirving

I'm quite happy with the spped at which Meteor got the Lumia 800, only a mouth after Vodafone. It's only a €50 upgrade or so in 2 months but I'm not sure I'll upgrade with this in the pipeline. Having a good camera on my current N8 is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Any confirmations on which operators will be carrying this folks ?

None yet mainly due to the OS, same applies to the uk where symbian has less than 1% Market share..
    I'm hoping to get it soon to test it myself,as I test devices.

None yet mainly due to the OS, same applies to the uk where symbian has less than 1% Market share..

Expecting a big, early price reduction if not taken up or will they keep it
    low key like the N9 ? Kind of a proof of concept before bringing the tech
    to WP ?

long_b wrote: »

Expecting a big, early price reduction if not taken up or will they keep it
    low key like the N9 ? Kind of a proof of concept before bringing the tech
    to WP ?

Most likely it will go the same route as the N9 sim free only, early suggestions the purview will retail at 600 euro some sites have it up for pre order, I would not pay that for an almost dead OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

How copy proof is pureview ? Are their similar systems on the way from other manufacturers ?

Initially this will only appeal to a few who realise the benefits. But once the ability to zoom becomes well known it could be a winner. We all taken pics & longed to be able to zoom after the event.

That's a fake seen it a bit back but Nokia are in the process of bringing pureview to Windows phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Advertisement

Here's another from a fairly reputable site -

http://www.clove.co.uk/nokia-808-pureview

650 EUROs !!! Crazy crazy crazy and goodnight

EDIT: Probably a placeholder, Expansys says no price available
    http://www.expansys.ie/nokia-808-pureview-white-229967/

Advertisement