Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia PureView 808 - 41 megapixel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

long_b wrote: »
    Here's another from a fairly reputable site -

http://www.clove.co.uk/nokia-808-pureview

650 EUROs !!! Crazy crazy crazy and goodnight

EDIT: Probably a placeholder, Expansys says no price available
    http://www.expansys.ie/nokia-808-pureview-white-229967/
    Clove are not really reputable
    The 600 euro mark some free would be the highest there is some paces saying 565

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

So is the reckoning that the only option for this will be SIM free or is an Irish network (crossing fingers for VF) gonna carry it? I'm quite happy with Belle and the main things I want are decent camera, GPS, wifi, bluetooth so this could be the perfect upgrade from my N8.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

g0g wrote: »
    So is the reckoning that the only option for this will be SIM free or is an Irish network (crossing fingers for VF) gonna carry it? I'm quite happy with Belle and the main things I want are decent camera, GPS, wifi, bluetooth so this could be the perfect upgrade from my N8.
    None of the operators carried the N82, they did pick up the N86 but that was in Symbian's heyday.
    If the thinking is that the camera in top-end modern phones is "good enough" (see HTC's big push on the One X) then there may be little reason for them to pick up the 808.

Nice comparison shot with the N82 and N8 in this article

@UnleashPhones: Nokia’s 808 PureView is the N8 successor we dreamt of http://t.co/4vKx0XTz

• Advertisement

first markets to begin selling the Nokia 808 PureView include Russia and India
    Hopefully it's not just these two first

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

long_b wrote: »
    Here's another from a fairly reputable site -

http://www.clove.co.uk/nokia-808-pureview

650 EUROs !!! Crazy crazy crazy and goodnight

EDIT: Probably a placeholder, Expansys says no price available
    http://www.expansys.ie/nokia-808-pureview-white-229967/

TBH with such a great sensor I'd nearly say that price tag was justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wonder what the price will be in a year or so & whether there will be any competition. Nothing beats paying half price six months after your mate has paid full price :D

http://t.co/yeSxCscb

amazon 31st may

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

Bit pricey alright.
    Might have to wait a while so.
    Whats the chance of any networks taking it on i wonder?

lolie wrote: »
    Bit pricey alright.
    Might have to wait a while so.
    Whats the chance of any networks taking it on i wonder?

So far none have said they are.
    The next Nokia The networks are stocking is the lumia 900 which went on sale in the I'll today.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

only reason im not getting it is the os...
    disappointed phone makers hafnt found a way of letting consumers have a choice OS. :/
    wud love this on android. symbian have a huge lack of apps etc.. only reason for this is the camera..which is why i wanted it..every phone after that is similar...but when its not got the app backing of others, i cant go with it :(

kenyard wrote: »
    only reason im not getting it is the os...
    disappointed phone makers hafnt found a way of letting consumers have a choice OS. :/
    wud love this on android. symbian have a huge lack of apps etc.. only reason for this is the camera..which is why i wanted it..every phone after that is similar...but when its not got the app backing of others, i cant go with it :(

Won't be buying but will receive a trail,the OS is dead,it will be coming to windows and I can see Nokia moving to android sometime in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

I'll probably pick up a sim free one before the year is out.
    Think i seen somewhere it might be coming to the UAE for €460 so hopefully it wont be to pricey in a few months.
    The lumia's with wp7 are just to limited for me and i'm not crazy into app's so i'll hold of an android phone for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Won't be buying but will receive a trail,the OS is dead,it will be coming to windows and I can see Nokia moving to android sometime in the near future.

Near future! There's not a chance in hell of that happening in the distance future. You've no idea what was signed when they did the deal with Microsoft. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

AntiVirus wrote: »
    You've no idea what was signed when they did the deal with Microsoft. :D

I take it that it was some seriously big co-operative deal?

I've heard the stories about MS paying many app publishers to release versions for WP so I wouldn't be surprised if both MS and Nokia were willing to unite against SamsungAndroid and Apple.

Near future! There's not a chance in hell of that happening in the distance future. You've no idea what was signed when they did the deal with Microsoft. :D
    I actually do have an idea. And it will be in the near future looking forward to announcements at Nokia world this year hope to be there myself.

Just to note there is nothing stopping Nokia to use the Android platform.

I actually do have an idea. And it will be in the near future looking forward to announcements at Nokia world this year hope to be there myself.

You have no idea, you've been wrong plenty of times. Only a short while ago you posted up a picture of a new Nokia windows phone you said Nokia where about to reveal. I said that it was not a new phone just a fan concept design but you said you had seen it. I then posted up the designers website where they clearly state all their designs are just concepts and nothing to do with Nokia. Nokia never did reveal that phone you had "seen" did they.

Lets face it, you have no insider knowledge of what's going on in Nokia, every single bit of Nokia info you post is already known.

Roll on Nokia World where you'll be seeing there new Windows Phone 8 with pure view not any Android phones.

• Advertisement

Just to note there is nothing stopping Nokia to use the Android platform.

Nokia have 1 billion+ reasons

FGR wrote: »

I've heard the stories about MS paying many app publishers to release versions for WP so I wouldn't be surprised if both MS and Nokia were willing to unite against SamsungAndroid and Apple.

Yes it was a big strategic deal sign by both with Microsoft paying a very large sum of money to Nokia. JimmyNokia is living on planet cuckoo to even think this would/could happen now.

It would be far far more likely that you would hear Microsoft buying Nokia at Nokia world considering how cheap it would be to buy Nokia now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

FGR wrote: »

Yes it was a big strategic deal sign by both with Microsoft paying a very large sum of money to Nokia. JimmyNokia is living on planet cuckoo to even think this would/could happen now.

It would be far far more likely that you would hear Microsoft buying Nokia at Nokia world considering how cheap it would be to buy Nokia now.

I doubt that would happen, Id also doubt Nokia will go Android route either. Considering the large amount of money put in there by MS. Do remember the 5 year agreement that WP7 will be the main smartphone platform for Nokia. Unless WP7 dramatically crumples in that time I don't see Nokia moving away.

Face it 99% reviews of windows phone are great, only dowsides are the lack of apps that everyone is complaining about and the spec sheet, that should be sorted by the time apollo launches, apps will continue to grow.

It wasn't that long ago when everyone was crying about android and lack of big player apps.
    Some people still are.

So like it or not WP7 will catch up to features and apps in apollo and apps should be fine im a year or less.

It takes a very long time for consumers to acknowledge a new product, even if it is from Microsoft.

WP7 is now the Mac of phone world, everyone likes it, but its slowly moving up.

You have no idea pal trust me sent a pm btw

Nokia have 1 billion+ reasons

To Move to android,the symbian platform is dead,why they are releasing the pureview on a dead OS is beyond me but it is coming to windows.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

To Move to android,the symbian platform is dead,why they are releasing the pureview on a dead OS is beyond me but it is coming to windows.:)

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/03/01/nokia-pureview-qa-with-damian-dinning/
    Q. Why was this introduced in a Symbian phone and not a Lumia?

A. The technology behind the 808 was a five-year development project. We wanted to bring this technology to the market as soon as we could to start delighting people with a passion for high quality pictures and videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

and this is why ms,i think they paid the money,plus they got
    navtec maps in the deal.im not in "the bizz"but do anyone
    here really know the ins an outs of the deal?.
    just imo,ms get to use nokia maps.but..the big plus for ms is,and its just me thinkin here.
    they saw behind closed doors,41 megapixal camera
    just thinkin they locked nokia camera into thier os for this deal.
    for say 2 years?.
    nokia paid 1 bill to buy navtec.ms have the use of that now,
    i really think they paid the money not just to use their os
    on nokia phones,but the 41 mp camera phone only on os.
    for x amount of time.

i really think this camera tech is,for the most part. the reason behind the deal.

sorry for thinkin out loud,but id like to hear everyone else's thoughts on the matter.:o
    edit: reason bein it would have cost nokia a huge amount of cash to get this off the ground,ms are great at seein what can be done in the future hi end/tech phones.
    leavin nokia to delve into the cheap end of android phones...maybe?

They have been working on this for 5 years on the symbian platform,they missed the boat in other words symbian was nokias OS and it sold for them until the last two years.Then ANDROID came into the scene.Nokia soldthe symbian platform to accenture.
    Somewhat unexpectedly,why? STRANGE!!!

If anybody wants to know about the goings on as regards to nokia check out a site called the verge,two ex nokia employees blog for them,they hate nokia,the main most directive is stefan constatine aka @whatthebit on twitter or eldar murtizen,They exploit nokia in any negative way possible..Another guy to look out for is called tomi ahonen
    But its just an agenda for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

They have been working on this for 5 years on the symbian platform,they missed the boat in other words symbian was nokias OS and it sold for them until the last two years.Then ANDROID came into the scene.Nokia soldthe symbian platform to accenture.
    Somewhat unexpectedly,why? STRANGE!!!

If anybody wants to know about the goings on as regards to nokia check out a site called the verge,two ex nokia employees blog for them,they hate nokia,the main most directive is stefan constatine aka @whatthebit on twitter or eldar murtizen,They exploit nokia in any negative way possible..Another guy to look out for is called tomi ahonen
    But its just an agenda for them..

It took 5 years to develop Pureview - 5 years ago weren't Nokia launching the Nokia N95? (which used S60V3 iirc). No-one had any idea (and let's face it - Nokia just stuck their fingers in their ears, like a lot of the industry at the time) that Nokia were going to do so badly in the years that followed.

That was arguably the apex of Nokia's smartphone effort before it all went downhill with their (half-hearted) touchscreen Symbian efforts (S60V5 onwards). At that time, Pureview was probably a small project in one of Nokia's then well-funded R&D labs - this camera tech didn't come from nowhere. Also at that time, no-one had any idea that Nokia would eventually use a Microsoft software product in their phones. Microsoft weren't expecting OEM's to put custom DSP's of their own into WP7 products, I think.

As for not going with Android, Nokia would have been a bit-part player. It's very hard for any Android phone to stand out - hence why manufacturers put their own skin on. If you buy a HTC phone, imho they want you to think you're getting a HTC Sense, not an Android. And so on. For every HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy S III, there are load of other Androids that unless you look, you would barely know they existed.

As for Symbian, afaik the Symbian group held way too much political sway within Nokia. As well as being an old codebase, I think Elop thought that was the best way to remove that faction, palm off the mouldering Symbian S60 project on someone else and push his own agenda all at the same time.

As for Nokia's future outside of smartphones, it will be interesting to see if anything comes of their Meltemi project to replace S40.

In general, I think one of the few things Nokia done right was getting those operator billing deals struck all over the world. Google and the rest have been severely lagging in this department imo.

• Advertisement

Price was scraped off Nokia India website - converts to 432 EUR or so

Advertisement