Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia PureView 808 - 41 megapixel

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Looking at those comparisons, the One X camera looks terrible. The colors are all over the place.
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    Shootout, Nokia pureview vs iPhone 4S vs HTC X One all set to 8mp's

Its clear to see the pureview is in a class of its own!!

http://asia.cnet.com/camera-shootout-ii-nokia-808-pureview-vs-apple-iphone-4s-vs-htc-one-x-62216507.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

A lot of these being shipped around this week, so expect to see some reviews closer to this side of the world by the end of the week or this time next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

really really looks exceptinoal.. as a phone its gonna suck caus of the OS though imo still :/
    i really really wud like one though

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »

I love that say windows in the text but have the Symbian logo

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭m3hm3t

When this phone will be availbe with irish carriers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

m3hm3t wrote: »

Probably never. Won't be popular enough for the masses.

m3hm3t wrote: »

Never..

• Advertisement

Got my hands on one today, and its pretty slick. Its very similar to the N8 as suspected, but its much quicker. First thought were it looks much bigger, but it doesn't feel it when you using it. Holds better in the hand, doesn't have that slippery fish feel that the aluminum housing gives. The housing curve of the camera acts as a perfect rest against you finger. I do like the way the camera is silver in the black model, makes it stand out that bit more.

It runs the same as the N8 for most parts. Few little changes here and there, changes slower from landscape to portrait as it zooms out a little which is a bit annoying, wifi and NFC widgets are on the homescreen, better data tracker as part of the connectivity settings, holding the keylock switch for 2 seconds will turn the flash on/off to act as a torch. The hdmi adapter wasn't given like it was in the N8, which i thought was pretty poor.

I haven't used the camera enough to say how good it is, but the one thing I noticed is the speed. Its far quicker to open and take a picture than the N8. Their is no loading or waiting. The image isn't displayed after you take it, its slides to the corner, leaving the camera open ready to take more pictures without having to press back all the time like the N8. To go to the gallery, you simply click the little picture in the corner, no going to options menu etc which is a great improvement if you take a lot of pictures. The editing of them is much quicker, and laid out better. Their is a dedicated facebook button also while viewing the pictures, which uploads in one click.

All i can think of at the moment, any questions on it just ask

Davy wrote: »
    Got my hands on one today, and its pretty slick. Its very similar to the N8 as suspected, but its much quicker. First thought were it looks much bigger, but it doesn't feel it when you using it. Holds better in the hand, doesn't have that slippery fish feel that the aluminum housing gives. The housing curve of the camera acts as a perfect rest against you finger. I do like the way the camera is silver in the black model, makes it stand out that bit more.

It runs the same as the N8 for most parts. Few little changes here and there, changes slower from landscape to portrait as it zooms out a little which is a bit annoying, wifi and NFC widgets are on the homescreen, better data tracker as part of the connectivity settings, holding the keylock switch for 2 seconds will turn the flash on/off to act as a torch. The hdmi adapter wasn't given like it was in the N8, which i thought was pretty poor.

I haven't used the camera enough to say how good it is, but the one thing I noticed is the speed. Its far quicker to open and take a picture than the N8. Their is no loading or waiting. The image isn't displayed after you take it, its slides to the corner, leaving the camera open ready to take more pictures without having to press back all the time like the N8. To go to the gallery, you simply click the little picture in the corner, no going to options menu etc which is a great improvement if you take a lot of pictures. The editing of them is much quicker, and laid out better. Their is a dedicated facebook button also while viewing the pictures, which uploads in one click.

All i can think of at the moment, any questions on it just ask

Where did you see it?.
    I'm not for the dedicated Facebook thing seen this a while back.

The rest seems fine and faster.

Where did you see it?.

+1

Where did you see it?.

Came from a mate, so you cant see it a shop im afraid. Im not that keen on the dedicated facebook button either, but im sure a lot would be. I do like how well they crafted it though as per previous attempts. I would like to see a change in futher updates that you could set it to something you wanted like flickr etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Came from a mate, so you cant see it a shop im afraid. Im not that keen on the dedicated facebook button either, but im sure a lot would be. I do like how well they crafted it though as per previous attempts. I would like to see a change in futher updates that you could set it to something you wanted like flickr etc

Anything built in for Dropbox ?
    Is there a T9 text entry option ?

long_b wrote: »
    Anything built in for Dropbox ?

No, not that im aware
    Is there a T9 text entry option ?

Im not sure what you mean?

Do you mean auto finish using qwerty, or spelling using T9 on a alphanumeric keyboard? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

If you still have your N8 can you do a night time camera comparison with and without flash as all comparisons so far have been in daylight.
    I intend gettin it later on this year.
    Would be good if it could take pics while recording video like the onex and the s3.
    But reading damien dinnings comments on twitter it aint gonna happen

lolie wrote: »
    If you still have your N8 can you do a night time camera comparison with and without flash as all comparisons so far have been in daylight.
    I intend gettin it later on this year.
    Would be good if it could take pics while recording video like the onex and the s3.
    But reading damien dinnings comments on twitter it aint gonna happen

No you cant do it, and from the way the camera is setup i dont think it can. You could try get stills from the video afterwards but going to stand up compared to using creative mode.
    I will try get night shots versus the N8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

Cheers Davy.
    How does the low res screen look with the clearback display, compared to say the gs2?

Some of the photos online took with the 808 look stunning for a phone camera.

No, not that im aware

Im not sure what you mean?

Do you mean auto finish using qwerty, or spelling using T9 on a alphanumeric keyboard? :confused:

A T9 soft keypad for text entry - herself will be transitioning from an N82

• Advertisement

Where did you see it?.

So where did your mate get it?
    Nokia Ireland don't even have One

Finland

Yes, does have one in portrait mode.

Cheers Davy.
    How does the low res screen look with the clearback display, compared to say the gs2?

The first thing I noticed were the blacks, more better than the N8. I haven't compared it to anything else so be hard to say exactly but it's not be the best screen out there but I'm willing to let that go for what else you do get.

Finland

Yes, does have one in portrait mode.

Cheers Davy.

The first thing I noticed were the blacks, more better than the N8. I haven't compared it to anything else so be hard to say exactly but it's not be the best screen out there but I'm willing to let that go for what else you do get.

Well can your mate help people here here it from finland?
    I would of took a few pics of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Devane

I'm waiting to see what happens. If I can't get it here through my contract, I'll get it from Germany. Its EUR 509,00 . Better than 500 sterling.

http://www.amazon.de/Nokia-PureView-Smartphone-Touchscreen-Symbian/dp/B007VKAJYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339543966&sr=8-1

In fact I've read people have been receiving the 808 over the past week from Amazon Germany even though it states "not available".

I've been told some niche phones have appeared on contract at time of release for a limited time, so I'll jump on that if it happens. An official denial from Vodafone Ireland & co would be handy.

Devane wrote: »
    I'm waiting to see what happens. If I can't get it here through my contract, I'll get it from Germany. Its EUR 509,00 . Better than 500 sterling.

http://www.amazon.de/Nokia-PureView-Smartphone-Touchscreen-Symbian/dp/B007VKAJYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339543966&sr=8-1

In fact I've read people have been receiving the 808 over the past week from Amazon Germany even though it states "not available".

I've been told some niche phones have appeared on contract at time of release for a limited time, so I'll jump on that if it happens. An official denial from Vodafone Ireland & co would be handy.

No operator is stocking this here. It will be an online job like the N9.

Devane wrote: »

Is there extra VAT on top to match Irish VAT rate and do Amazon Germany do free delivery to Ireland?

Say it was available in the UK or elsewhere subsidised on contract,
    what do you reckon the chances of getting it unlocked
    via an online code or local phone shop ?

bound to be someone offering this service. Probably harder to find it locked in the first place!

what do you reckon the chances of getting it unlocked
    via an online code or local phone shop ?

Hard to say bout getting it unlocked but if say phones4U get it which maybe the only operator that will and its a big might they will be unlocked,(firstbatch) follow them on twitter if your on it or just keep checking ,so leg it up to newry and get one.
    There is another P4U store a bit nearer cant remember the name of the place,but thats where i would go..

Amazon de. are quite good and also check out handtec uk.These would be the other options.
    Handtec uk is also on twitter and give good notice

Ive bought from both and never had trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Devane

I think so but if there is a 1 in a million chance of it being cheaper on contract I'm waiting until it's 100% certain. I fear I won't be using my upgrade eligibility for some time.
    Is there extra VAT on top to match Irish VAT rate and do Amazon Germany do free delivery to Ireland?

I don't know. I haven't ordered electronics overseas for years. The last thing I ordered was Digital Piano from thomann.de for about 2000 euro and didn't get any additional nasty charges on delivery. The total was the total.

The final figure I get from Amazon.de when I click through all the screens is 526.11 Euro so delivery isn't free. You can use your .co.uk credentials.

Yeah a locked 808 will be hard. My N8 was from Vodafone on contract and it came unlocked.

Advertisement